The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Doing rec ball last night. One of the teams in one game included a group of coaches from a local high school. I have a call against them (out of bounds play or something equally crucial) and this one guy yells "Bull#@%*". He gets his T and then asks if I do varsity ball. When I answered that yes, I do, he hesitated for a second (apparantly trying to summon up enough intelligence to shut up) but blurted out that he hoped that I did not get his games as he would want officials with more maturity doing his games. Can't wait for next season!
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
...but blurted out that he hoped that I did not get his games as he would want officials with more maturity doing his games. Can't wait for next season!
You should have told him you want coaches with more maturity than he was showing.

But then again, it is hard to have a battle of wit with a coach...only one intelligent person in the battle (and you would sound silly popping off to yourself).
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 06:14pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Doing rec ball last night. One of the teams in one game included a group of coaches from a local high school. I have a call against them (out of bounds play or something equally crucial) and this one guy yells "Bull#@%*". He gets his T and then asks if I do varsity ball. When I answered that yes, I do, he hesitated for a second (apparantly trying to summon up enough intelligence to shut up) but blurted out that he hoped that I did not get his games as he would want officials with more maturity doing his games. Can't wait for next season!
paulis
We "cannot deal with ignorance".
mick
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 10:48am
9 times

Quote:
...blurted out that he hoped that I did not get his games as he would want officials with more maturity doing his games. Can't wait for next season!
Had something similar happen to me and right after the game I called the assignor and asked if it was at all possible if he could send me to that school for the opening game of the next season.

The stupid comment in my case came from a player--who happened to be the captain of his team. When My partner brought him to the center of the court for the captain's meeting I stuck out my hand, with a big smile on my face and said, "hi, do you remember me?" He got that "Oh, $hit" look on his face and was as polite and helpful as he could be for the whole game. I would try to get into that team's games to show the coach that we keep coming around.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 02:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
and this one guy yells "Bull#@%*". He gets his T and then asks if I do varsity ball.
A good answer would have been, "Yes, and it's a technical there, too."
Old Fri Apr 26, 2002, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

But then again, it is hard to have a battle of wit with a coach...only one intelligent person in the battle (and you would sound silly popping off to yourself).

Or another analogy....Arguing with an ignorant coach is like mud wrestling a pig...you both get dirty and the pig loves it!