The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Giving back games??

Need some feedback on etiquette for giving back games in H.S.??? I have a full sub-varsity schedule at this time, I have been at it 4-5 years now...I am starting to get calls (2) ..asking if i would be interested in doing Varsity?? Of course I say yes, they say they will send me a schedule next week. I didn't dare give them dates I couldn't work seeing how I have been waiting for these calls for a while now...... When I receive my schedule is it right to call my other assignor who already gave me the sub varsity schedule and give the games back?? Or should I tell the assignor with the varsity games that I can't work certain dates?? anyway, I am babbling, you get the jest of what I am getting at..Any help would be appreciated..Thanks
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness
Need some feedback on etiquette for giving back games in H.S.??? I have a full sub-varsity schedule at this time, I have been at it 4-5 years now...I am starting to get calls (2) ..asking if i would be interested in doing Varsity?? Of course I say yes, they say they will send me a schedule next week. I didn't dare give them dates I couldn't work seeing how I have been waiting for these calls for a while now...... When I receive my schedule is it right to call my other assignor who already gave me the sub varsity schedule and give the games back?? Or should I tell the assignor with the varsity games that I can't work certain dates?? anyway, I am babbling, you get the jest of what I am getting at..Any help would be appreciated..Thanks
I believe and so does my local association and assignors that once you accept a game, it is yours. "Giving back" games for "better games" is a practice around here that is greatly frowned upon and will get you black listed very easily. I'm not saying it still doesn't occur but it is not a good thing. I would tell the assignor that you are unavailable because of prior commitments. I think that assignors look at this is favorite since you show that you are loyal and won't ditch them for the "next best thing".

Work as many varsity games as possible and show your stuff. More varsity games will pour in for future seasons. Just my two cents

-Josh
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

While I agree with Josh, in principal, there are areas where this is not frowned upon; where the jv assigners know that if their officials get varsity assignments the jv games will be turned back. I had a middle school assigner in my last location tell me specifically to turn back his games once the hs schedule came out when there was conflict.

That said, unless you've been given specific information that it's okay with your jv assigner, I'd tell the varsity guys you have commitments and aren't available.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

That can be a tough call. There is no sure answer without knowing your assignor. Some assignors can be very easy to work with and understanding of varsity opportunities, others may not. There are plenty of assignors that post here and I'm sure some of them will chime in. I would think most assignors would understand giving back one or two because of varsity opportunities, but you may not want to give back any more than that. Is there any chance you can find your own subs for the sub-varsity stuff? If you can take that route, it may help ease the fact that you're taking other opportunities.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

My suggestion is to call your JV assigner now, and ask him what his position is on these situations. In my neck of the woods, the JV assigner works hand-in-hand with the varsity assigner. It is an accepted practice for a JV official to turn back a game when he receives a varsity assignment. Many areas of the country handle such situations differently, however.

If your JV assigner says he expects you to keep the games, call the people who spoke to you about varsity dates and explain the situation. They will respect you for being up front with them.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I do agree that some assignors may not mind returning games as well. Perhaps they have someone that is looking to pick up more JV games. Talking with the assignor to see if someone else is looking to pick some up wouldn't be a problem, in my opinion.

On the other hand, "accidentally" double-booking a date and dropping the JV game is something that might not get recognized once or twice but will be caught eventually and ruin your relationship with the assignors

-Josh
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Agreed, being up front is the best way to go. It prevents (or at least reduces) hard feelings down the road.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:21pm
Ch1town

Although turnbacks may be frowned upon, there are always exceptions to the rule(s). It's the way you go about it that matters most.

Turning back a varsity game for a higher level varsity game is one thing, but moving up a level should be understandable. College guys get pulled off HS games all the time around here, thus lower-level guys get bumped up to varsity games.

If any of the new varsity dates conflict with your existing lower-level dates, I would try to find tentative replacements. Contact the lower-level assignor & tell him of your opportunity to work the varsity level. Let him know the dates conflict with his, but you have a few replacements for him to choose from lined up for those dates. Then ask if you have his blessings in advancing to the next level.

That way all your bases are covered! You never want to burn bridges because you may not get a full varsity schedule & might need some lower-level games to fill your schedule. The lower-level assignor may become the varsity &/or college assignor someday... you never know.
Just my opinion.

What part of the country are you in that gives basketball assignment before football starts? And why would they give lower-level before varsity? Just curious...

Last edited by Ch1town; Thu Aug 14, 2008 at 03:27pm.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I think you owe it to yourself to take the higher level game. Your supervisor should be happy that you have been assigned an upper level game and not hold it against you. The more varsity officials that work on his staff give him credibility than if all of his officials were lousy and not getting better.

If the assignor is bitter and were to take it out on you, I would question whether you want to work for him in the first place.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

When I was in Iowa, most of the small schools had their assignments done a year ahead of time. Right now, folks are likely filling their varsity dates for the 09-10 season. Of course, there aren't assigners involved, for the most part.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Although turnbacks may be frowned upon, there are always exceptions to the rule(s). It's the way you go about it that matters most.

Turning back a varsity game for a higher level varsity game is one thing, but moving up a level should be understandable. College guys get pulled off HS games all the time around here, thus lower-level guys get bumped up to varsity games.

If any of the new varsity dates conflict with your existing lower-level dates, I would try to find tentative replacements. Contact the lower-level assignor & tell him of your opportunity to work the varsity level. Let him know the dates conflict with his, but you have a few replacements for him to choose from lined up for those dates. Then ask if you have his blessings in advancing to the next level.

That way all your bases are covered! You never want to burn bridges because you may not get a full varsity schedule & might need some lower-level games to fill your schedule. The lower-level assignor may become the varsity &/or college assignor someday... you never know.
Just my opinion.

What part of the country are in that gives basketball assignment before football starts? And why would they give lower-level before varsity? Just curious...
I agree except that the assignor should be the one finding the replacement unless it is specific policy to find your own sub. You may be assessed a turnback fee that you will have to live with. It sounds to me like the Varsity games are your priority and you shouldn't feel bad about taking an upper level game. Just be courteous and call the assignor asap so he can fill the spot. It shouldn't be a problem as the season doesn't start for 3 months.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

It would probably help if you asked this exact question to your assignors. They might be able to give you the best insight on the etiquette of your particular area/association/situation. That way you are not basing your decision making on internet advice given without context of your specific real life situation.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:37pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef
My suggestion is to call your JV assigner now, and ask him what his position is on these situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
I absolutely 100% agree with these two posts. Call the JV assignor and be COMPLETELY HONEST with him/her. Believe me, assignors talk to each other. They will find out if you try to be sneaky or give a false reason for turning back the lower level game.

Josh, from Iowa, gave you one side of the coin. In his area, it is strongly frowned on to turn back a game for a higher level game. In my area of Massachusetts, it is pretty much a given with all my assignors that I am allowed to turn back any game for a higher level game with no repercussions. This is true from middle school to college.

Either way, be honest about it. If the JV guy is hard-nosed about it, then you'll know that for next season and you can honestly tell the Varsity assignor that you've taken a game from Mr. X that you can't get out of. I hope for your sake that the JV guy is reasonable. Good luck.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:42pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
When I was in Iowa, most of the small schools had their assignments done a year ahead of time.
Wow, that's what I call getting 'er done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
I agree except that the assignor should be the one finding the replacement unless it is specific policy to find your own sub.
True... but I've come to find that being proactive in this avocation can take you a long way. The assignor may be busy or sick & may not feel like filling that game, but by you taking it upon yourself to find tentative replacements (guys who are available on said night) that's one less thing he has to do.
I never said actually give the game away, just tentative
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

My solution has always been to contact the JV assigner and let them know that I have an offer to work a Varsity game. I also let them know that I understand that I have a contract for the underclass game, and I will honor my contract if they are unwilling to let me out of it. I also let the Varsity assignor know that I have a conflict and will have to clear it first.

This way, I haven't pissed off either assignor. For what it's worth, all of the JV assignors have appreciated my acknowledgment that I have a contract and am obligated to honor it, unless they release me. So far, I have not had to turn down a varsity assignment due to a conflict.