The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to JWalker
Cool

I read in a previous post where there is no such thing as over the back. Could you please explain, because I sure see it called a lot. Thanx.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

The foul is for a player ON the back of the opponent and the foul call is a push. There is nothing in the rule book that says over the back foul.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 08:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JWalker
I read in a previous post where there is no such thing as over the back. Could you please explain, because I sure see it called a lot. Thanx.
JWalker,
Merely reaching over an opponent from behind and attempting to get the ball is not a violation unless there is absolute contact between the players.
If such contact occurs it can be a "push" or "charge", but never an "over-the-back".
There is no such foul defined, and there is no such approved signal as the "Boogey Man" or "Big Ol' Bear" signal.
Thus, there is no "over-the-back" foul.
mick
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Also, there can be contact created by the player from behind. But that doesn't mean it's a foul. If both players go up within their vertical plane, the contact is considered incidental. As has been stated above, if the player from behind displces the player in front, it's simply a push. Even if there is a slight push, most veteran officials will ignore it if the player in front is still able to rebound the ball. And, as mick stated, simply reaching above an opponent to rebound the ball is not a foul.

Illegal contact can also be created by the player in the front. Many times, he'll jump back into his opponent, who is going up within his vertical plane. Yet, fans and coaches will yell for a foul on the player from behind.

Bottom line, contact from behind doesn't mean there's a foul, and there's no such animal as "over the back."

Hope we've helped you!
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 11:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Behind does not matter.

Contact behind or "on the back" is no different than any other part of the body. That is why "over the back" does not really exsist. There always must be contact that displaces or puts a player at some kind of disadvantage. You just cannot be behind someone and fouls should be called.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, you guys have helped me a lot. Thanks
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Wow, you guys jumped all over this one. An easy one pops up and everybody wants a piece of it!!

Original post at 8:34 pm, then replies at 8:43, 8:45, and 8:55. I'm impressed with the efficiency of this board!

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Yeah, there is nothing like a new ref, to make everyone feel important. lol
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Nah, just makes us feel useful!

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I worked in an adult league this weekend with a partner who kept calling over the back. I asked him about it, and he said that he only calls it when it's really a foul, ie there is a push. He says over the back because that's what everyone understands. As I watched, this was exactly what he did. He didn't call for reaching over, but only when there was a push involved. Well, I was in no position to argue, so I didn't, but in the future, I may just point out that continuing to call it that way confuses these adults who then come to their kids' games and scream, "Over the back!!" at the most inopportune moments.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

My assistant coach is a source of ongoing advice to officials - travel, reach, 3 seconds, overtheback, comeonyougottacallthat in games, and I am always amazed when refs take it. I have tried to shut him up, but usually it takes a warning from the official or a simple question (who is the head coach here?) to close his mouth.
Anyhow, he always screams for over the back calls. This weekend when he yelled it out I was going to say that he should at least know that isn't the right call, ask for the push if you are going to ask for something. Before I can say anything, the ref who has blown the whistle yells for all to hear "Over the back!!" We skipped that lesson for the day
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 07:12am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
... Before I can say anything, the ref who has blown the whistle yells for all to hear "Over the back!!" We skipped that lesson for the day
Good one, Coach !
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 11:41am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
My assistant coach is a source of ongoing advice to officials - travel, reach, 3 seconds, overtheback, comeonyougottacallthat in games, and I am always amazed when refs take it. I have tried to shut him up, but usually it takes a warning from the official or a simple question (who is the head coach here?) to close his mouth.
Anyhow, he always screams for over the back calls. This weekend when he yelled it out I was going to say that he should at least know that isn't the right call, ask for the push if you are going to ask for something. Before I can say anything, the ref who has blown the whistle yells for all to hear "Over the back!!" We skipped that lesson for the day

Coach, you are in charge of all your bench personnel. Why are you allowing your assistant coach to be "a source of ongoing advice to officials?"
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Mark
I have one assistant coach. I absolutely need his basketball mind on the bench. He does a great job getting my players ready to go in, making adjustments with players who come out, keeping the bench into the game. He picks up things I don't see during the game, and helps me with my substitution pattern. Can't do without him. Buuutttt. . .

There is this ongoing running commentary that I can't stand, and have let him know this. But I got a game to coach, and can't spend every minute focussing on what he says, and coaching a coach rather than my players. I have toned him down (he used to get us Td once a month) to the annoying running commentary from the belligerent shout. He is actually acting in a controlled manner if you know how he used to be. I have also had to teach him how to appropriately address players, because that was a problem.

If I feel he is really pushing it or crosses any lines, I let him know. But you gotta choose your battles - and, by the way, the refs are able to ignore it as much as me - it is kind of like a soothing background noise after a while. And we periodically discuss bench behavior, but he has a hard time controlling it. I could say I don't have a replacement for him, but I don't really think I want a replacement. On the positive side, incidentally, he is the first to give our players the business if they don't help an opponent up after fouling them - he is a real advocate of sportsmanship, just has a hard time with one aspect of it.

And if he gets Td, he shuts up and I take that as part of the bargain that I cut - may not be the best deal, but you take what you can get when you ask someone to give up 10 months of their year as a volunteer coach, going to games almost every weekend for that whole time. And none of us are perfect, he just has different weaknesses than I do. We both have the same values and love the game and teaching it to our players.

[Edited by Hawks Coach on Apr 30th, 2002 at 12:44 PM]
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 12:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I worked in an adult league this weekend with a partner who kept calling over the back. I asked him about it, and he said that he only calls it when it's really a foul, ie there is a push. He says over the back because that's what everyone understands. As I watched, this was exactly what he did. He didn't call for reaching over, but only when there was a push involved. Well, I was in no position to argue, so I didn't, but in the future, I may just point out that continuing to call it that way confuses these adults who then come to their kids' games and scream, "Over the back!!" at the most inopportune moments.
Juulie - if this was P+R basketball, please tell them. I've dealt with this call from those guys every weekend so far this spring (since I am working with them on youth games), plus the dreaded "reach". Maybe if enough of us harp on it, they might stop.

Suuuuuuuure.

BTW - many of them are PBOA officials. I'm sure Howard isn't teaching this.