The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Over The Back (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4722-over-back.html)

JWalker Tue Apr 30, 2002 02:02pm

: plus the dreaded "reach".

Mark, what about the dreaded 'reach'? Dont tell me THATS not a call either! Man, Ive got a lot to learn!

BktBallRef Tue Apr 30, 2002 02:37pm

You are correct. Reaching is not a foul. Contacting an opponent illegally with the hand is a foul. It's called illegal use of hands. Fans, players, and coaches will scream "He's reachin'!!" when a player swats at the ball to make a steal. That's not a foul. It's only a foul if his hand or arm makes illegal contact with the opponent.

Answer this:

The ball is loose on the floor. B1 dives for the ball, gains controls, and slides about ten feet. What's your call?

mick Tue Apr 30, 2002 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Answer this:

The ball is loose on the floor. B1 dives for the ball, gains controls, and slides about ten feet. What's your call?

Safe? ...Out?

JWalker Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:01pm

So, when the official blows his whistle and calls 'Reaching', that isnt actually a call? The call would be 'on the arm', etc?

Dan_ref Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JWalker
So, when the official blows his whistle and calls 'Reaching', that isnt actually a call? The call would be 'on the arm', etc?
Generally "a reach-in foul" is a push, in my book.

mick Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Interesting, Dan.
I'm usually thinking "illegal hands".

BktBallRef Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:20pm

An official shouldn't say, "Reaching," just as an official shouldn't say "Over the back!" The terms do not exist in the basketball rule book.

It's not necessary to say anything. Simply give the signal that corresponds to the foul.

Call the foul:

Whistle and raise fist to recognize foul.
Bird dog if you want to, I don't.
Tell your partner who the foul is on, who the shooter is, if there is a shooter or where the spot is for the throw-in.

Report to the table:
"Blue, 4-4!"
Give signal. No verbalization is necessary.
Indicate number of shots if necessary.

That's all.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Quote:

Interesting, Dan.
I'm usually thinking "illegal hands".

Either works but I prefer push since generally the actual
contact is a hand or arm pushing against the dribblers arm. And, I like "illegal use o' the hands" mostly for shooting
fouls. It's just me, don't ask why, it just is...maybe
too many doobs back when I was younger...err..., young? ;)

mick Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:39pm

Quote:

An official shouldn't say, "Reaching," just as an official shouldn't say "Over the back!" The terms do not exist in the basketball rule book.

It's not necessary to say anything. Simply give the signal that corresponds to the foul.

Call the foul:

Whistle and raise fist to recognize foul.
Bird dog if you want to, I don't.
Tell your partner who the foul is on, who the shooter is, if there is a shooter or where the spot is for the throw-in.

Report to the table:
"Blue, 4-4!"

That's all.

Was that on 4, or 44? ;)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Mark
I have one assistant coach. I absolutely need his basketball mind on the bench. He does a great job getting my players ready to go in, making adjustments with players who come out, keeping the bench into the game. He picks up things I don't see during the game, and helps me with my substitution pattern. Can't do without him. Buuutttt. . .

There is this ongoing running commentary that I can't stand, and have let him know this. But I got a game to coach, and can't spend every minute focussing on what he says, and coaching a coach rather than my players. I have toned him down (he used to get us Td once a month) to the annoying running commentary from the belligerent shout. He is actually acting in a controlled manner if you know how he used to be. I have also had to teach him how to appropriately address players, because that was a problem.

If I feel he is really pushing it or crosses any lines, I let him know. But you gotta choose your battles - and, by the way, the refs are able to ignore it as much as me - it is kind of like a soothing background noise after a while. And we periodically discuss bench behavior, but he has a hard time controlling it. I could say I don't have a replacement for him, but I don't really think I want a replacement. On the positive side, incidentally, he is the first to give our players the business if they don't help an opponent up after fouling them - he is a real advocate of sportsmanship, just has a hard time with one aspect of it.

And if he gets Td, he shuts up and I take that as part of the bargain that I cut - may not be the best deal, but you take what you can get when you ask someone to give up 10 months of their year as a volunteer coach, going to games almost every weekend for that whole time. And none of us are perfect, he just has different weaknesses than I do. We both have the same values and love the game and teaching it to our players.

[Edited by Hawks Coach on Apr 30th, 2002 at 12:44 PM]

You are giving me excuses for why you are not doing your job. An assistant coach is to be seen by and not heard by officials. Now having said that, I have no problem with assistant coaches asking me where the designated spot is for throw-ins and other such information as long as is it is done in a curtious manner.

The fact that he has a great basketball mind and gives his time for free for ten months a year is not a reason for not doing your job. If he cannot control his bench behavior then you have to control it for him. That means that maybe you need to ban him from the bench until he understands what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior for bench personnel. If he is a real advocate for sportsmanship then he has to lead by example, because your players see how he acts on the bench and they see how you accept his bench behavior. An assistant coach who gets a technical foul has real bench behavior problems and the head coach as leadership problems.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:40pm

Quote:

Report to the table:
"Blue, 4-4!"

That's all.

I'm a "Blue, 44" kinda guy myself.

BktBallRef Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:44pm

Quote:

Me, too. But I try to keep it simple for the youngsters! ;)

mick Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:45pm

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you.

A Pennsylvania Coach Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:47pm

Risk vs Reward

Mark,

I have a player who fouls too much. Should I ban her from the team until she gets better with that? Of course not. I'll take 16 ppg and 12 rpg in return for 4 or 5 fouls every game. Should the assistant coach act properly? Of course. But if the coach determined that his usefulness outweighs the damage he does, he has done his job.

It's not a black or white world. Even the black and white rule book leaves room for interpretation (start a Three Seconds in the Lane thread if you don't believe me). We have to make decisions in the gray all the time, and the coach has done this.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 30, 2002 03:50pm

Quote:

Quote:

Well thanks, I really appreciate that! ;)