The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I didn't feel it was necessary to
state how team control ends, because nothing supported team control ending in THIS situation.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Question

What if Player A is dribbling. Player A kills his dribble by continuing the dribble lower and lower until it stops, using only one hand. Wipes his shoes, combs his hair and gets the number of a cheerleader. Then slaps the ball with a different hand, the ball begins bouncing and off Player A goes.
In to original, it was not clear how the dribble was killed. My limited understanding of the rules would seem to indicate double dribble if the player killed the dribble by putting both hands on the ball as they put it on the floor. Then picked it up and dribbled.
Of course I am not sure why any player would WANT to do this.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Listen, Irwin (I know, only your mother calls you Irwin). . . we'd pretty much worked through this and beaten it to death. And now you throw a monkey wrench into things. Ok, I'll give it a shot.
Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
What if Player A is dribbling. Player A kills his dribble by continuing the dribble lower and lower until it stops, using only one hand. Wipes his shoes, combs his hair and gets the number of a cheerleader. Then slaps the ball with a different hand, the ball begins bouncing and off Player A goes.
I have nothing on this. Remember that the dribble only ends when

a. the dribbler catches or causes the ball to come to rest in one or both hands,
b. the dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing to come to rest in one or both hands,
c. the dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands,
d. an opponent bats. . . the ball, or
e. the ball becomes dead.

Since none of these things happened while Player A was dribbling the ball, the play you describe, Mr. Cocktoasten, seems perfectly legal, as long as the dribbler doesn't pick up the ball in such a way that it is resting in his hand(s).

Quote:
My limited understanding of the rules would seem to indicate double dribble if the player killed the dribble by putting both hands on the ball as they put it on the floor.
Dr. Rosenrosen, holding the ball and touching it to the floor does not constitute a dribble. So if the player simply sets the ball down (without dribbling first), it is my opinion there is no violation committed when he picks it back up.

Now, I have to get my car from the shop b/c my wife hit a water buffalo the other night. Would you help me out and send me the Underhill's credit card number?

Chuck
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if Player A is dribbling. Player A kills his dribble by continuing the dribble lower and lower until it stops, using only one hand. Wipes his shoes.... Then slaps the ball with a different hand, the ball begins bouncing and off Player A goes.
No call.

But in the original post I assumed the player ...
Quote:
... put it on the floor. Then picked it up [two hands] and dribbled.
And on THIS I called a double-dribble.

Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
After eating a steak sandwich and bloody mary.....

Why anyone would want to dribble the ball, place the ball on the ground, walk around and dribble again is beyond me. But, we at the Mattress Police have to think on such things. I think the key is whether the player was dribbling before placing the ball on the ground. The play I described was, not only a spitting image of my uncle's spleen, not a violation.
Always good to hear a few lines. Now I have to go figure out what I was doing in Utah this morning
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

I love your body, Larry!

Man, I love that silly movie!!!! Now, go get me some ball bearings. . .
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Hey Irwin,
You STAY in Utah!
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After eating a steak sandwich and bloody mary.....

Why anyone would want to dribble the ball, place the ball on the ground, walk around and dribble again is beyond me. But, we at the Mattress Police have to think on such things. I think the key is whether the player was dribbling before placing the ball on the ground. The play I described was, not only a spitting image of my uncle's spleen, not a violation.
Always good to hear a few lines. Now I have to go figure out what I was doing in Utah this morning
Do I need to eat a steak sandwich and bloody mary to understand what you wrote?
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

No, you just have to watch the movie "Fletch" about 1,000 times

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

OOooooooKKkky, at least now i know i didn't miss anything.