The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 12:35pm
Esteemed Participant

I know it's the NBA, but an earlier post discussed the defensive 3-second violation in Sunday's Lakers-Jailblazers game, and I thought I would follow it up with the comments from Scottie Pippen last night...both local papers here - the Oregonian and Vancouver's Columbian - carried articles from Pippen's meeting with the media yesterday...on Sunday, Bennett Salvatore ejected Pippen after he chucked the ball about 25 rows up into the stands - Pippen was mad about the 3 second defensive call which had just been made - Mitchell Butler poked ball away from Shaq...the explanation given after the game was that the steal was only possible because Butler was standing in the key for a very long time not guarding anyone, so when he batted the ball away, the ref called the violation...fans threw stuff on the court, Pippen tossed a food tray on the court as he was leaving, etc...Pippen blamed it all on the refs and said that he didn't blame the fans for throwing stuff...he said the refs are out to get the Blazers and the refs need to realize that people are there to watch him, not the refs...it's an interesting artice...check it out at http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/...the article is titled "Playing With Fire"...the only voice of sanity was Steve Kerr who said "if there is a conspiracy, maybe what we need to do is just shut up!" Hmmmm - ya think???
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down This is SCOTTIE PIPPEN we are talking about.

Scottie Pippen is the biggest baby in the NBA. To have accomplished as much as he has, he really acts more and more like a rookie. Remember this is the guy that would not go into a game because Phil Jackson would not let him take the last shot of the game. And remember, Phil was correct because Tony Kuckoc (sp?) made the shot.

I hope and prey that he never gets invited to the Hall of Fame. How he was one of the top 50 players is unbelievable to me. Without MJ, what the hell has he done in his career?

Peace
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Pippen blamed it all on the refs and said that he didn't blame the fans for throwing stuff...he said the refs are out to get the Blazers and the refs need to realize that people are there to watch him, not the refs
Hmmmmm . . . where have we seen this rhetoric before?

Seriously, though, with the way they are acting they should expect the officials to be keeping a closer eye on them.

I did, however, enjoy Scottie Pippen complaining that he should get calls because he's a star. Of course, he'll (and everyone else) be the first to complain when a star of the opponent "gets" a call. Good grief!
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Pippen blamed it all on the refs and said that he didn't blame the fans for throwing stuff...he said the refs are out to get the Blazers and the refs need to realize that people are there to watch him, not the refs...
I had thought this attitude would get less and less as I moved up through the levels, but I guess I was wrong. What seems so obvious to me, is that as long as you blame the refs, you can't improve. The teams that do the best, are also the ones that take responsibility for their own actions (to quote that famous parenting phrase), and continue to learn the lessons. If you could have avoided getting that call, well, why didn't you? As my dad repeated over and over again as we were growning up, "To avoid trouble, don't tie your shoes in a watermelon patch!"
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 11:43am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
As my dad repeated over and over again as we were growning up, "To avoid trouble, don't tie your shoes in a watermelon patch!"
Juulie - what the hell does this mean? I always thought the saying was "To avoid trouble, don't tie your shoes in a prison shower!"
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm glad Mark asked, b/c I was unclear on the watermelon's significance. I'm not sure I could bring myself to curse at Juulie, tho.

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 11:57am
Esteemed Participant

Ay-yi-yi there are some warped people on this board!! How in the world did we get to talking about watermelon and prison showers??? Someone's been watching too many episodes of "Oz" on cable!!
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 10:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cool My show.

Quote:
Ay-yi-yi there are some warped people on this board!! How in the world did we get to talking about watermelon and prison showers??? Someone's been watching too many episodes of "Oz" on cable!!

OOOOOZZZZZZ . Nothing like killing, controversy and sex to make a Sunday evening complete. That is HBO for ya.

Where is my Soprano's thought? I WANT MY SOPRANOS!!!!

Peace
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Pippen has been around a good many years. Getting a chance to play with both Magic and MJ on championship teams didn't teach him a thing about grace and style on court and in interviews.

I'm sure all the NBA refs have conspired to put it to the Blazers. Who is he going to blame next for their losses? Himself?
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 05:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Today, on Pardon The Interruption on ESPN, they were evaluating teams who might have a chance to knock off the Lakers for the NBA title. They said the Blazers would get to a critical point in a game and then someone would kick the ball into the stands or something like that. Then, they referred to the team as "knuckleheads."

I prefer to call the Jailblazers "gibletheads."

The team is a bunch of overpaid whinemasters and they make me sick - and I live in Portland!!!

Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 07:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Magic?

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
Pippen has been around a good many years. Getting a chance to play with both Magic and MJ on championship teams didn't teach him a thing about grace and style on court and in interviews.

When did Pippen play with Magic?

Peace
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Magic?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
I wondered, too. Olympics, maybe?
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 08:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Magic?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Quote:
I wondered, too. Olympics, maybe? [/B]
I think you are right. I forgot about that.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Is that giblethead with one or two B's?
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 11:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Is that giblethead with one or two B's?
Giblethead always has only one "b". Perhaps you're thinking of "gibbethead", which is different.