The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I visited Florida this past week with my family. We stayed near Orlando, and I got to see an AAU game at the Walt Disney World sports facility. Great facility. I also got to meet our own crew (tony). I watched him work the game (HS rules/college mechanics) and he invited me to watch the game tape with the officials afterward. It was a lot of fun, and they asked me to work a game, but I had to decline. Tony has some bad habits (one hand to report, Tony ), but don't we all? Overall, he and his "crew" called a very good game, even though one of the teams just fell apart in the second half. I thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

Incidentally, while I was there I met a guy who is 24 years old and worked 3 ACC games last season!! I also met an 18 year old kid who worked 8 varsity games in his first year of officiating HS basketball. I am clearly doing it wrong! I'm moving to Orlando. Seriously.

Chuck
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

I was at the camp also. What a great camp and it became very clear that Orlando is the place to be if you want to become a good official. From game management to play selectivity, they covered it all. Great job Tony and staff.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

The Tony and staff comment was meant for Tony Mac. but I also had the oppurtunity to work with Tony M. (ACC) and it was a great learning experience. Quality official!!
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Iref21,
Glad to hear you had a good time at the camp. I thought it went very well too. This is Brent Barnaky, I was a clinician at the camp.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Brent, this is Scott (Cheesehead, WI). I really enjoyed the camp and I was able to take alot from the critquers (including yourself). I can't wait to get to Orlando, thanks for all of the feedback. Hopefully by August I will be able to get the "robo" out of me. That is the first thing I am going to focus on.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Brent, I don't know why the thumbs down icon is on my message. It shouldn't there, ignore it.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,

Oh ok. Now I remember you. Your screen name didn't reveal anything and I was wondering who you were. Great, glad you had a good time. The one important thing to learn, is that we can all improve everytime out, no matter what level we are officiating. Keep in touch.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Brent,

Just wanted to join in on the love fest about camp. You and Brian and the rest of the staff did a great job, and I know that anybody who cared anything at all about getting something out of the camp did so in spades. Thanks for the good critique, and I look forward to seeing you down the road. By the way, I hope you didn't suffer any injuries at the hands of Torch on Saturday night .

Scott,

Thanks for shattering any delusions of youth I had. At 26, I thought I was still pretty young. Seeing you and some of the other very talented guys in their early twenties opened my eyes up to the fact that the window of opportunity for me is not as wide as i thought it was.

John
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

JBDuke,
Ok, I am little slow here. Which camper were you at camp. Unfortunately I do not know everybody by their screen name on this board. HA!! Help me out here. Anyway, you should have told me at camp that you posted on this board and we could have talked about some of the interesting posts!! Ok enough of that......
Glad you had a great experience at camp. If I ever can be of assistance or answer any questions please feel free to ask. Good luck. By the way, my injuries due to Torch were very minor and I do not think I will sue him for injuries sustained!! HA.
There were many talented young officials there, that if they stay on course and continue to improve and maintain a good outlook on things will do just fine. By the way, just for the record, I am still in my 20's too!! I'm not that over the hill and old yet!!

Brent
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

JB,
Only 26 and you think your window of opportunity
is closing? Puh-lease!
If you have the drive, desire, work ethic, etc.,etc.,etc.,
you still have plenty of time left to achieve your goals.
I wish I had started going to camps at 26.
But if you have ability, and keep at it, you'll do fine.
Trust me!
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Drake is exactly right. Us guys that are in our 20's have so much time on our hands to improve, train, and develop our skills.

Drive, dedication, desire, and discipline.

Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

BBarnaky,

I'm John, the guy who sat across from you during the Saturday night recreation. Maybe this will refresh your memory:

Brent: "I'm bored."

John: smart-a$$ed response drawing rave reviews from Brian. (Hey, it's a family board. I can't quote myself in this case.)

DrakeM,

I certainly didn't mean to poor-mouth. I know that I have a solid chance with continued hard work and dedication. My point was simply that I'm not as young as I thought I was. I think that everybody's window of opportunity is always closing. The issue is how close you are to being able to jump through that proverbial opening. I just wasn't aware that there are so many guys with wider openings than my own.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Jbduke (John),

My memory is totally refreshed. Thanks!! Its funny talking on this board sometimes and people say they know me but I don't know them just by their screen name alone!! LOL. I guess my screen name pretty much gives myself up. Anyways, stay in touch and let me know if I can be of any help or answer any questions you may have. As you can tell from my posts and others of my commrades that I hang with, we love talking about plays and philosophy. Feel free to send me any plays or questions you may have. Take care.

Brent BBarnaky
Old Fri Apr 19, 2002, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Brent,

I actually do have a few questions for you, if youd don't mind. Pop me an email and i'll send them to you.

Thanks,
John

[email protected]
Old Fri Apr 19, 2002, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't make it to Denver and I didn't meet crew. But I did just make it to 100 posts!