The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

There was a call tonight during the Portland game

A 3 second defensive violation.

Can someone please explain this to me? Never heard of it before. My guess is some of the players had never heard of it either since 3 T's immediately followed the call.

Ren
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps it's new to you because you haven't seen many games this year. But it's not new to the players. The rule was institued this year, along with the change that allows zone defenses.

Rule 10, Section VIII b,d,&e
Section VIII-Defensive Three-Second Rule
b. Any defensive player, who is positioned in the 16-foot lane or the area extending 4 feet past the lane endline, must be actively guarding an opponent within three seconds. Actively guarding means being within arms length of an offensive player and in a guarding position.
d. The defensive three-second count is suspended when: (1) there is a field goal attempt, (2) there is a loss of team control, (3) the defender is actively guarding an opponent or (4) the defender completely clears the 16-foot lane.
e. If the defender is guarding the player with the ball, he may be located in the 16-foot lane. This defender is not required to be in an actively guarding/arms dis-tance position. If another defender actively guards the player with the ball, the original defender must actively guard an opponent or exit the 16-foot lane. Once the offensive player passes the ball, the defender must actively guard an opponent or exit the 16-foot lane.
PENALTY: A technical foul shall be assessed. The offensive team retains pos-session at the free throw line extended. The shot clock shall remain the same as when play was interrupted or reset to 14 seconds, whichever is greater.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

You're right, I haven't been watching many NBA games this year. I've been sticking mostly to NCAA.

Thanks for the explanation.

Ren
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Perhaps it's new to you because you haven't seen many games this year. But it's not new to the players. The rule was institued this year, along with the change that allows zone defenses.
Hey, just because a rule was changed doesn't mean the players know it, even if they have played thousands of games under that set of rules.

BTW, is there a warning for defensive three seconds before a T is assessed (like in the illegal defense call that used to exist)?
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Hey, just because a rule was changed doesn't mean the players know it, even if they have played thousands of games under that set of rules.
I didn't say that they knew it. I said it's not new to them.

Quote:
BTW, is there a warning for defensive three seconds before a T is assessed (like in the illegal defense call that used to exist)?
Read the rule above, coach! What does it say?
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
BTW, Bennet Salvatore had 3, count 'em 3 T's on one of
the defensive 3 second calls!. Scotty Pippin chucked the
ball into the stands on the whistle, thinking the call
was on him somehow. Bang! Them he told Salvatore what
he thought of him, Bang! 2 and so long Scotty.

Later in the game there was a clear "up & down" travel
by a Portland player that was not called. I dropped a
fistful of chips when I saw it, I wonder what *that* was
about!? Ah, the whacky world of the NBA....
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You're calling me a coach, then you want me to read something?

Tony, you should know that you can't have it both ways!

(Ah - the offseason!)
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

the defensive 3 sec violation (D-3) was called almost simultaneously with a portland steal. that is why pippen was pissed, whacked and subsequently ejected. tough situation.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 12:18am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down Here's the real scoop on the Jailblazers from someone who lives in Portland

No - the real reason the Blazers got all those technicals tonight (and every game) is because they're a bunch on immature, whiney jerks. Blazer GM Bob Whitsett is from Seattle and doesn't have a clue as to what the Portland fans will or will not support in a basketball team.

Even when the team in the early 90s lost the championship, the fans here loved them because they played like a real team, not a bunch of overpaid individuals with a chip on their shoulder, and they were involved in the community.

Despite his numbers, Rasheed must go next year. He is an embarrassment to the team and the town.

I refuse to spend a dime on tickets, logo items, etc. and I will not watch their games unless they are on "free" TV. Even then, I usually don't watch because they do not post this warning: "Caution, watching the Jailblazers may be detrimental to the behavior of your children."

The entire organization should be ashamed of itself.

Later - I'll tell you what I really think.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

I saw the end of the game and 2 OT's. There was only one call that was "bad" based on instant replay. There was a foul near the end of OT that may have been a good strip, Otherwise from what I saw Bennett and the rest of the crew handled the game great! The foul on Patterson during "Box out" that more was an elbow... The ensuing double foul and T on Horry. It was a great job with calls coming from right official!
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
I saw the end of the game and 2 OT's. There was only one call that was "bad" based on instant replay. There was a foul near the end of OT that may have been a good strip, Otherwise from what I saw Bennett and the rest of the crew handled the game great! The foul on Patterson during "Box out" that more was an elbow... The ensuing double foul and T on Horry. It was a great job with calls coming from right official!
I agree the game was extremely well called, particularly
the double foul & subsequent T. Did you see the
"up&down" travel? It came near the end of the 4th. I
thought the defender did make slight contact with the ball,
but not nearly enough to make a difference IMO. What is
the pro ruling on this type of play? Does it differ from
HS/NCAA?
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

You're calling me a coach, then you want me to read something?

Tony, you should know that you can't have it both ways!
Nah, coaches can read, that just don't know where their rulebook is. In your case, I had already provided the rule that answered your question, before you asked it.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

1st time i saw a correctable error in the NBA. They wipe everything that happend between the foul and the correction.