The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 02:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Question

Does anyone think that Men's Officials are better than Women's officials?

And if you think so or think not, why?

I just see a lot of inconsistency in Women's games more than I do in Men's games. I walk away from looking at Women's games and not having a clue what was called. I do not get the same feeling as often in the Men's game. Am I the only one?

Or better yet, did anyone even pay attention to the Women's Final Four? I sure have not heard a sole talk about it. Where are all the PC people that cannot stand the fact that anyone would dare talk down Women's basketball? Have not heard any of you talking about the games, only talking about the Men's tournament.

What is the deal?

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Apr 4th, 2002 at 09:11 PM]
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Does anyone think that Men's Officials are better than Women's officials?
JR,

I don't know if "better" is the best way to put it, but it seems to me that the men's officials are more driven, more hardcore I guess. I see a lot of women's refs that are not as sharp and somewhat sloppy.

Maybe it is based on the level that they are calling. It is no secret that the women's game just does not have the flair that the men's game does. Getting beat down the floor by the ladies is not too common so maybe these folks are complacent with their fitness/hustle level.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Interesting, I see some of what you say just the opposite. The women's game is more defind as far as what they want called vs not called. It can give the appearence of being inconsistant when we call a touch foul and not call a hard foul. This is because the way they want the game called. Unless you are privy to the women's game it certainly will look inconsistant. As far as being "better", I think you will find good and bad on both sides. I will however agree the Womem's officials are moving up the ladder much faster because they want Women doing Women's games. The powers have publicly said, even if the man is slightly better than the Woman we want the Woman".
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't know much about women's officiating. I do some HS girls ball and it's terrible in my area. It's no fun to work or watch. But as far as the college game, I have to just plead ignorance.

I did, however, watch quite a bit of the Women's Final Four, mostly b/c I live an hour or so from Storrs, CT. So I had some interest in seeing the UCONN women go for their undefeated season.

I didn't really feel strongly one way or the other about the officiating in the Final Four. I did notice that their mechanics are much more pro-oriented. There was only one time where I said "Wow, that was a terrible call". I will say that the officials had two excellent offensive fouls off-ball against UCONN last night.

Just my two cents. The only other thing is that I thought the Oklahoma coach was much more attractive than the UCONN coach

Chuck
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Bart, you are absolutly correct!! I know for a fact in wiscosin that they don't want men doing women's games anymore. I have a friend who has worked d1 for over 20 years, he is a phenominal official, BUT he is a man. He usually did about 90 women's games a year, but this year was drastically cut to 45, and is down to around 15 the next year. they are slowly trying to eliminate him, dispite the fact he is a great official. It is sad, he will have no where to go because getting into men's ball is so difficult, it seems the men stick w/ it until death, like supreme court judges.

I also think this has a part in officials, most of the men in wisconsin that wk big games are very expierenced because they "are in it for life". But, i also believe there are a LOT of awsome female officials who are stepping up and conquering the world of basketball!! This is my 2 cents worth
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
He usually did about 90 women's games a year, but this year was drastically cut to 45, and is down to around 15 the next year. they are slowly trying to eliminate him
Doesn't sound too slow to me.

Chuck
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 02:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not talking about gender of the official.

I am only talking about Men's officials as compared to the ones that work Women's NCAA officials. Obviously their is more Men doing Men's NCAA games then the other way around. There was only one woman that did the NCAA Tournament, but I would almost bet on the Women's side, the number of men had to be 10 times that alone.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I sure have not heard a sole talk about it.
If you do hear a SOLE talk about anything, it is time to lay off the hippy lettuce --
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 06:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb That is really funny.

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
Quote:
I sure have not heard a sole talk about it.
If you do hear a SOLE talk about anything, it is time to lay off the hippy lettuce --
I think it would be more than lettuce.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 10:34pm
In Memoriam

Question Re: That is really funny.

Quote:
[QUOTE Peace
Rut,
My "E"-dress for you is wrong.
mick

[email protected]
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Rut --

As I said earlier, I will be reviewing tapes of the last three games later, when I get them. I will expect from you astute and sophisticated answers to my questions!

juulie
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 11:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not sure what that means.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Rut --

As I said earlier, I will be reviewing tapes of the last three games later, when I get them. I will expect from you astute and sophisticated answers to my questions!

juulie
Juulie,

What the heck are you talking about?

Peace
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Question

JRutledge,

I think the reason we feel lost when watching a Women's game is because most of us are used to Mens games. Please allow me to say that I am not talking down Womens college basketball for I am a Womens college official and I did tune in to the Womens Final Four. I think we are just not use to watching Womens games that often, so we feel a little lost at times. We can lay some blame on the media. I think is bad that the Womens college season does not get exposure until tournament time. I DO NOT at all think Mens officials are better then Womens officials. We are all one body of people doing the same job at the sametime and working hard at what we do.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 01:04am
Do not give a damn!!

The reason I posted this.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
JRutledge,

I think the reason we feel lost when watching a Women's game is because most of us are used to Mens games. Please allow me to say that I am not talking down Womens college basketball for I am a Womens college official and I did tune in to the Womens Final Four. I think we are just not use to watching Womens games that often, so we feel a little lost at times. We can lay some blame on the media. I think is bad that the Womens college season does not get exposure until tournament time. I DO NOT at all think Mens officials are better then Womens officials. We are all one body of people doing the same job at the sametime and working hard at what we do.

John,

This has never been about gender of the officials, but the type of game that attracts us to officiate. I admit that when I started that going as high as the NBA was my dream. There was no WNBA or ABL for that matter when I started. I never imagined doing Women's or Girl's Basketball when I started. And now that I have done both, I still perfer the Men's game. And it appears that most feel the same, because if they did care all that much about the Women's game, then we would be talking about plays and calls all day long on this site. And to prove that even further, did anyone create a bracket for the Women's game?

For those that love to be critical of us that make our preference known, your silence has proven my point once again. If the Women's game or just officiating of the Women's game was so important, why are you not posting calls or situations that were weird or unusual. But then again, that would be PC and that does not fit in the equation.

This is why I asked, "is anyone paying attention to the Women's Tournament." By the posts and the silence, the answer was a resounding NOOOOOO. I admit I was not paying attention, do you so called "Women Officials" that love nothing but, doing the same?

Peace
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: Not sure what that means.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Rut --

juulie
Juulie,

What the heck are you talking about?
Rut, that reply was neither astute nor sophisticated.

Chuck