The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How shall we mourn? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/46321-how-shall-we-mourn.html)

Raymond Mon Jul 14, 2008 07:25am

How shall we mourn?

Look who got fire!!!

JugglingReferee Mon Jul 14, 2008 07:28am

And people said that Hell wouldn't freeze over!

mick Mon Jul 14, 2008 07:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Look who got fire!!!

Maybe they couldn't fire him for age and lack of knowledge, and they made up another reason, which seems rather weak.

Raymond Mon Jul 14, 2008 07:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
Maybe they couldn't fire him for age and lack of knowledge, and they made up another reason, which seems rather weak.

The article doesn't say why he was fired. It says he was criticized for his on-air remarks but it doesn't say who leveled the criticism. I think he was probably already on his way out the door.

Mark Padgett Mon Jul 14, 2008 09:04am

He still has his game show - "Are You Smarter Than Billy Packer?" It's on TLN (The Loser Network).

Welpe Mon Jul 14, 2008 09:10am

Hopefully these firings come in threes. So, who is next? I'm hoping for Jay Bilas and Tim McCarver.

truerookie Mon Jul 14, 2008 09:18am

Wow!! don't know what the season is going to be like now that Packer is gone. Especially, the talk about how horrible he is. I guess I have to adjust the volume back on my televsion (stop using close caption).

Raymond Mon Jul 14, 2008 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
Wow!! don't know what the season is going to be like now that Packer is gone. Especially, the talk about how horrible he is. I guess I have to adjust the volume back on my televsion (stop using close caption).

Unfortunately we get him on RAYCOM for all the big ACC games but at least I won't have to listen to him after the ACC tourney.

grunewar Mon Jul 14, 2008 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
Wow!! don't know what the season is going to be like now that Packer is gone. Especially, the talk about how horrible he is.

I imagine we'll find someone else! :)

Adam Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:02am

Gottlieb is still the worst, buthe doesn't tend to do live broadcasts.

rainmaker Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:14am

Quote:

The article doesn't say why he was fired. It says he was criticized for his on-air remarks but it doesn't say who leveled the criticism. I think he was probably already on his way out the door.

The article says that some people saw the comment "The game is over" as an indication to quit watching (change channels). I'd say that while all his other faults didn't matter, the bottom line (losing viewers) was the bottom line.

IREFU2 Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:59am

Quote:

Look who got fire!!!

Dump a 40 oz out on the ground!!!!!

Camron Rust Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:14am

The collective basketball IQ of the CBS basketball crew just multiplied by a large number!!!

Raymond Mon Jul 14, 2008 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
The article says that some people saw the comment "The game is over" as an indication to quit watching (change channels). I'd say that while all his other faults didn't matter, the bottom line (losing viewers) was the bottom line.

Maybe they fired him b/c his dumb a$$ was wrong about the UNC/KU game considering UNC came back to within 4 points. It was just another example of Packer not knowing what he was talking about.

icallfouls Mon Jul 14, 2008 01:25pm

How about?

"This career is over."

or for you Dallas Cowboy/MNF fans:

"Turn out the lights, the party's over"

Red Auerbach just lit another cigar

:D