The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Awwww...My eardrum!!!

I've been working in a facility with 6 courts running games so loud whistles are really needed on your court to stop play....Well, my rec league started Saturday...we play at a local JRHS where it's on the main floor....Only one court to worry about.

My first whistle for a violation...I hammered air into the Fox40 and it was tipped toward the left side of my mouth....The piercing sound traveled up my cheek and I think I blew a hole in my eardrum! I cringed when it happened and everything sounded fuzzy out of that ear the rest of the day. Two days later, the fuzzy sound is gone but I feel like I'm in an airplane at
35K feet with the pressure?

In the larger, less noisy gym where I have far less vocal parents, I think I can use a little less air next weekend!

Anybody ever have this happen and how long did it take you to get back to normal? Did you head to the doctor or let it heal on its own?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Colt - IMO, this is like asking someone for adivce with a cold. When do you go to the Dr.? After two days? Four? Hey, if you feel you've given it sufficient time to go away and are not satisfied it has - go see a Dr. If you can wait longer to see if it gets better on its own, do so.

I know on an oft occasion, a player will get to close to me on a TWEET and will "in jest" rub their ears like, "ouch." But, I've never hurt myself or anyone else for that matter (that I know of). Good luck. Hope it goes away on it's own and you get back to 100%!
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:41pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to Moshiner1345
Colt- Were you working at the Fieldhouse in Fishers? I was thinking about working there over the summer, once the high school season is over. Is it a well ran organization? My younger sister was there on Sunday for a game. It seems nice. Do they take care of their officials. PM me if there are things you don't want to talk about on here.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshiner1345
Colt- Were you working at the Fieldhouse in Fishers? I was thinking about working there over the summer, once the high school season is over. Is it a well ran organization? My younger sister was there on Sunday for a game. It seems nice. Do they take care of their officials. PM me if there are things you don't want to talk about on here.
Mosh......Yes, I have been calling games up there since June or July...other details in the PM I sent you...
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started out I put the whistle in one corner of my mouth. That lasted a day or two, and 15 years later there is still a difference in my hearing from left to right.
I have tinnitus from a variety of sources, one being the whistles I use. Something about the frequency that rattles my brain every time I make a call. (And yes, it explains a lot.)

I began using foam ear plugs very soon after and the situation stabilized, but I couldn't hear the coaches or players. Two years ago I went to an audiologist and got professionally fitted plugs used by musicians. They're great, and I can hear everything.

etymotic.com is what I use. I like officiating, but I'm not going deaf for it.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Anybody ever have this happen and how long did it take you to get back to normal? Did you head to the doctor or let it heal on its own?
Go buy some earplugs before you peremently damage your hearing. Your ears are hurting for a reason, they are telling you stop exposing them to dangerous levels of noise.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 05:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
I began using foam ear plugs very soon after and the situation stabilized, but I couldn't hear the coaches or players.
WOW!!! I never thought of that. Thanks.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 06:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I would suggest a dog whistle, but looking at your user name, it probably wouldn't work.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I would suggest a dog whistle, but looking at your user name, it probably wouldn't work.
2-6...you made me laugh at that one...
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
When I first started out I put the whistle in one corner of my mouth. That lasted a day or two, and 15 years later there is still a difference in my hearing from left to right.
I have tinnitus from a variety of sources, one being the whistles I use. Something about the frequency that rattles my brain every time I make a call. (And yes, it explains a lot.)

I began using foam ear plugs very soon after and the situation stabilized, but I couldn't hear the coaches or players. Two years ago I went to an audiologist and got professionally fitted plugs used by musicians. They're great, and I can hear everything.

etymotic.com is what I use. I like officiating, but I'm not going deaf for it.
I am a music teacher and have had these since I began reffing in 83. They are great. They take away everything that is harmful to your ears - but allow you to have conversation at normal speaking tones. You can stand in front of a pep band going at full strength and hear someone speaking to you in their normal voice. Custom fitted. Can even get different inserts for shooting etc. I think mine cost about $120.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
I am a music teacher and have had these since I began reffing in 83. They are great. They take away everything that is harmful to your ears - but allow you to have conversation at normal speaking tones. You can stand in front of a pep band going at full strength and hear someone speaking to you in their normal voice. Custom fitted. Can even get different inserts for shooting etc. I think mine cost about $120.

Sorry to resurrect an old post but...

I'm starting officiating this fall and was practicing blowing my whistle/giving signals in our yard last night and realized that my ears were ringing after a while.

I looked at the website referenced for the ear plugs, since I too don't want to loose my hearing, and was wondering what type of filter(s) you had for the plugs you purchased.

Thanks in advance.

Chad