The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Help on a call

Player A is dribbling the basketball and in a motion to pass looses control (or fumbles) and the ball squirts away ... Player A then goes and recovers - does not dribble - just recovers ... legal play?
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yes, legal. This is simply a fumble.
Whether he may continue to dribble is dependent upon whether he ended his dribble prior to trying to pass and whether he held the ball upon recovering it.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 01:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.

Also: Fumble/Dribble/Fumble: Legal
However: Dribble/Fumble/Dribble: Illegal Dribble
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking about fumbles

A1 has a spot throw in. Thrower fumbles the ball. The ball stays on the out of bounds side of the boundary line. A1 has to travel 6 feet to the side to regain control of the ball. Violation?
Or can A1 return back to original throw in spot an release the ball as long as the 5 second count has not expired?
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
A1 has a spot throw in. Thrower fumbles the ball. The ball stays on the out of bounds side of the boundary line. A1 has to travel 6 feet to the side to regain control of the ball. Violation?
Or can A1 return back to original throw in spot an release the ball as long as the 5 second count has not expired?
No, blow the whistle and reset the player.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Johnny,
A player who fumbles the ball may ALWAYS go retrieve it without violating.

Zoochy,
The NCAA has a ruling to stop the play and readminister the throw-in. The NFHS does not have anything on that point.
Personally, I don't see why the player should get another opportunity. Afterall, it's part of playing the game and the player should have to hang onto the ball. Officials aren't instructed to stop play and give the ball back to a dribbler who loses it. Yes, I know that the NFHS casebook states to do this for a FT shooter who loses the ball.

I just don't like it.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 06:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I just don't like it.
I agree with this, but I'd reset based on the case play.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I agree with this, but I'd reset based on the case play.
Let me clarify. I can live with the reset for the FT, although I don't care for it.

I cannot stand the NCAA ruling on the throw-in and until the NFHS comes out with a similar one, I will call a violation on the thrower in a HS game.

There is simply no rule that supports giving the team another chance at the throw-in.

Of course, if there is a case play issued for any of these situations, I will follow it.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 07:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I will call a violation on the thrower in a HS game.....
Would you still call the violation if you believe you contributed to the muff? i.e - mis-handed the ball to the player and they dropped it and it rolled away or you bounced it to them and they didn't get it?
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Would you still call the violation if you believe you contributed to the muff? i.e - mis-handed the ball to the player and they dropped it and it rolled away or you bounced it to them and they didn't get it?

That's not a fumble now is it?