The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

officials' assiciations

Hey guys, need some info. I'm guessing many of you out there belong to officials' associations that handle hiring, training, evaluation, and assigning of basketball officials. I've heard about various ways that these functions are handled from group to group and I'd like to hear about it.

My situation is this. Here in Kansas City, Missouri, we have an association with 200+ members that assigns 2000+ basketball games mostly at the sub-varsity level plus some small school varsity. The assignments are handled by one person, and there is very little training and no evaluation done by the group. Supposedly this group is the feeder for the other individual that handles the varsity assignments for 30 or so of the large schools in and around KC. The problem is that with no mechanism in place for evaluation by the association, there are limited chances for officials to be seen by the association assignor for the chance to advance. (He's seen me do 1 high school game in 5 years - approx. 150 games.) Plus, the association doesn't put on any summer camps for their members to both learn and be seen. The association assignor works small college ball and does work some camps as a clinician. However, the varsity assignor no longer referees, works for one particular school district - limiting the number of sites where he sees games, and has publicly stated that he doesn't think camps are worth going to. As a result of this, it seems that the only officials who get the opportunity to move up are friends or relatives of either an established varsity official, an assignor, or an athletic director. I know several 4 - 6 year refs who have been told at camps by college level clinicians or conference commissioners that they should be working varsity level games and numerous young, talented, athletic refs who are actually working college ball but can't get hired for varsity high school games!

Also, I can't seem to find out anything regarding the 'business' side of our association. I've been a member for 5 years and we've had the same officers for that period but I've never even heard about an election. (The assoc. does assign football and volleyball during the fall, maybe that's when the elections happen.) Our pres. and VP usually are at 1 or 2 of our 4 yearly basketball meetings. We usually get about 1/4 to 1/3 of our members at a meeting, except the meeting where we do the NFHS part II test for the state and then there are closer to twice the number of actual members! I have no idea if we have a constitution, bylaws, or any written documentation of policies, or if we are on file with the state as a non-profit or whatever. I have tried to find out for a couple of years what our agreement is with the conference/schools that we assign for, in an attempt to rectify some logistics problems with a couple of schools, and can't get any answers to that question.

I've tried to be somewhat non-confrontational in this questioning, as I still have to work for this group and don't want to get completely black-listed. However, I'm to the point that I think it may be necessary to throw a grenade in the works and see what happens. What I'd like to get from you guys is any information about how your associations are organized regarding these issues or how they have dealt with them in the past. Feel free to post on here or email me direct.

Thanks in advance,

Clint Baxter
[email protected]
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 04:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Bottom line all the associations I belong to are training organizations, they do not assign. Of course we have assignors as apart of the organizations as members, but it is not a requirement to be a member to work for them. Basically we are truly independent contractors in every association I belong to. There was an association that in my area (in another sport) that tried to control when and how their officials worked only to be in trouble with the IRS and state tax laws. So what you are describing would likely put your organization in legal trouble if they were in my state. I am not sure how that even works in other states because of Federal Workman's comp laws.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest contacting a veteran in the Varsity group (preferrably someone that you have prior acquaintance with) and ask them how officials get hired to work. There must be some mechanism to get hired.

If the assignor is working as a clinician, that might be a great opportunity to work in front of him and then maybe at a later date send a little email message asking how he hires officials.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhargaman
As a result of this, it seems that the only officials who get the opportunity to move up are friends or relatives of either an established varsity official, an assignor, or an athletic director.
From the outside looking in, it seems to me there is your answer. Arrange your schedues so that you have an opportunity to go watch several of the "bigger games" and find an official that you can approach. Compliment his work (assuming it merits a compliment) and try to set up a mentoring relationship. Maybe he/she can watch you work, give you feedback and (most importantly) put in a good word with the assignor.

Luckily, where I call all officials are members of chapters of the state organization. Each chapter has a geographic area they cover and have an assignor (who is a member of that chapter). My chapter also has several training opportunities...which the assignor always attends...as do surrounding chapters. We also have several members that work fairly high college ball that are staff members at camps across the state so even going to an out-of-town camp give you an opportunity for someone to see you work and report back to your assignor.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I was in what, I found to be a similar situation; I called the Varsity assignor and asked him to evaluate me and if he couldn't if he knew someone at the varsity level that would be interested in mentoring me. He came and watched me, gave me a full fr/jv schedule the next year year, and by the end of the season had me working varsity and a tournament game. He has already contacted me and filled my schedule with varsity games for next year, and recommended me to other assignors in the area.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 11:13am
Official & Member

You might also want to contact your state association and see how much oversight they have over local associations. This might be particulary useful in determining what their director or officer selection process is supposed to be.

It sounds to me like your system is set up to be the ultimate good ol' boy network. Most coaches and school districts I've come across despise that type of set up because it does in fact discourage quality and advancement of young officials.