The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 03:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking "Call it both ways"

a) "Sorry, coach, we can't. We're only allowed to call it one way - the right way."

b) "Coach, are you implying we're favoring one team over the other? Because if you are, that's impuning our integrity and that's a technical."

c) "OK coach, I will. Blue, thirty-two, a hold. That's one way. Thirty-two, blue, a hold. That's two ways. You happy now?"

d) "Can't do that, coach. We only make calls in English. If you want them in another language, go play in an international game."

Anyone have any others?
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

e) "TWEET....technical foul, Blue coach"

Last edited by canuckrefguy; Sun Jun 22, 2008 at 12:39am.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 08:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
e) "TWEET....technical foul, white coach"

But it was the blue coach who said it! Since he wants us to call it both ways, we'd have to T both of them. Works for me.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 12:39pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
f) OK coach. I'll call all the fouls and violations at that end during this half and then I'll call em all at this end the next half. Will that make you happy?
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

OK, coach. It's a block down here and a charge down there. Both ways. Got it.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I see Mark is recycling his material again.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 04:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I see Mark is recycling his material again.
Hey - this is the slowest the board's been since Dr. Naismith tossed the first coach.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 05:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

But He Touched The Wire Handles ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Hey - this is the slowest the board's been since Dr. Naismith tossed the first coach.
I believe that the coach was complaining about peach basket interference.

Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach, I expect the refs to call it both ways. If team A is called for a foul, team B should be called for a foul within 2 or 3 plays. The foul count should be even the entire game, or else the ref is cheating. Style of play and player discipline do not come into consideration when it comes to foul count. Refs calling it both ways does.

Who cares if team A is playing zone and team B is settling for jumpers, while team B is pressing full court and handchecking and reaching at every turn.

Call it both ways.

Who cares if team A is clearly more disciplined and has been taught how to take charges and refs call a charge on B2? When coach B tells his players to take a charge and B2 jumps into the path of airbourne A2 and flops as A2 avoids the contact and slightly glances B2s shoulder...

Call it both ways.

One caveat though... if you are a ref and are calling it tight both ways for an entire game, if my team is up by 1 and on defense with 3 seconds left and the other team drives to the lane and we foul him, don't call the foul. Let the players decide the game.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 04:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
As a coach, I expect the refs to call it both ways. If team A is called for a foul, team B should be called for a foul within 2 or 3 plays. The foul count should be even the entire game, or else the ref is cheating. Style of play and player discipline do not come into consideration when it comes to foul count. Refs calling it both ways does.

Who cares if team A is playing zone and team B is settling for jumpers, while team B is pressing full court and handchecking and reaching at every turn.

Call it both ways.

Who cares if team A is clearly more disciplined and has been taught how to take charges and refs call a charge on B2? When coach B tells his players to take a charge and B2 jumps into the path of airbourne A2 and flops as A2 avoids the contact and slightly glances B2s shoulder...

Call it both ways.

One caveat though... if you are a ref and are calling it tight both ways for an entire game, if my team is up by 1 and on defense with 3 seconds left and the other team drives to the lane and we foul him, don't call the foul. Let the players decide the game.
This is exactly how I was taught! It's nice to know that I was taught the correct way.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Call it both ways.

Call it both ways.

LOL
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 07:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Call it both ways.
Until both play the exact same way, you are not going to get the same foul on both ends. And yes, settling for jumpers does not produce the same kinds of contact (which leads to fouls) as if you attack the basket constantly. And if you attack the basket and the defense does nothing wrong, I am not calling fouls just because you are in contact with a defender. The defense is allowed to play the game too and fouls have to be earned, not expected. It also does matter if a team is playing a zone, because the offense is not going to attack the basket with a zone as they do with man to man defenses. You either need to learn to shoot over the zone in order to move the zone or you go to the basket where the defense is going to have an advantage because they are likely legally in their positions. Now I am not a coach and never claim to be. But I know that if players are already standing on a spot, it is not automatic you will get fouls if defenders know that is the only place you are going to go. Your shots can get blocked, altered or someone can steal the ball. If more coaches just realized that, they might not blame the officials for what is not called.
Quote:

Call it both ways.
So we are calling the game based on what the coach thinks now? WRONG AGAIN!!!!

Quote:
Experienced officials that I have come in contact with do not use the term "calling it tight." There is either an advantage or there is not an advantage.

And if that contact has been a foul all night at the beginning of the game, it is likely going to be a foul near the end of the game. You have already decided the game by not playing good defense. And if a foul needs to be called, then we call the foul. Do not give me this "Let the players decide the game" crap.

I had a game on Saturday where a coach spent all his time complaining about the officials and how the game was being called, that with a one point lead he forgot to tell his team to play defense with seconds left in the game. I guess it was our fault they lost the game because of how we called the game?

Give me a break.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Someone obviously missed the humor of Y2Koach
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 07:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Someone obviously missed the humor of Y2Koach
And who would that be?

Why does everything get personal?