The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

A-1 WHILE STANDING IN THE FRONT COURT NEAR THE DIVISION LINE, GETS TRAPPED BY TWO B PLAYERS, LOOSES HIS BALANCE AND STARTS TO FALL INTO THE BACKCOURT,BEFORE FALLING, THROWS BALL OFF OF B-1'S FOOT, BALL REBOUNDS INTO BACKCOURT WHERE A-1 CATCHES IT IN AIR,BACKCOURT VIOLATION ON A-1 OR NOT?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Cool

If he caught the ball in the air before it touched the backcourt floor, it is over & back. Ball is not O/B or out of bounds until it touches something like the floor. My question is, "Did A1 travel before he released the ball?" If he moved his pivot 1 centimeter, he traveled.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 02:52am
PDLeBoutillier

Technically when A1 fell backward and broke the plane of the center line he committed a backcourt violation, but expect the house to errupt when you call it.

Other than that, if he bounced the ball off B1's foot and THEN the ball went into the backcourt, there's no violation since he wasn't the last person to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt.

Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by PDLeBoutillier on 02-14-2000 01:52 AM
Technically when A1 fell backward and broke the plane of the center line he committed a backcourt violation, but expect the house to errupt when you call it.

Oops. Breaking the plane of the division line is NOT a violation. Thus, the house SHOULD come down if you call it (figuratively, of course). The ball and/or the player are where they last were (I think someone else offered that quote recently). If the player falling into the backcourt has touched the backcourt after throwing the ball against B's leg, then he can grab the ball whether or not it has yet touched the floor. If he somehow miraculously regained his balance and leaped from the front court to touch the ball, he's OK until he lands with the ball or touches it AFTER landing in the backcourt.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 12:37pm
PDLeBoutillier

quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker on 02-14-2000 09:13 AM
Oops. Breaking the plane of the division line is NOT a violation.

After studying this one again I see I was incorrect. Thanks for the note Todd. I learned another one.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker on 02-14-2000 09:13 AM
Oops. Breaking the plane of the division line is NOT a violation. Thus, the house SHOULD come down if you call it (figuratively, of course). The ball and/or the player are where they last were (I think someone else offered that quote recently). If the player falling into the backcourt has touched the backcourt after throwing the ball against B's leg, then he can grab the ball whether or not it has yet touched the floor. If he somehow miraculously regained his balance and leaped from the front court to touch the ball, he's OK until he lands with the ball or touches it AFTER landing in the backcourt.

I don't quite know what you mean when you say it is a violation when he touches the ball AFTER landing in backcourt. If he lands in backcourt from the fall and touches the airborne ball that has left B1's foot in frontcourt--no violation. It is only a violation if he catches it before he lands in backcourt or perhaps you meant retouches after landing in backcourt if he did not come down with the ball after touching it in his leap from frontcourt. Sounds confusing-easier to see than say-thanks, Ralph.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

The ball and player have the same rules for location. An airborne player keeps the same status as when he was last in contact with the floor. Same goes for the ball. In this case, the ball has frontcourt status while in the air. The player will not change the frontcourt status of the ball if he left from the frontcourt. If he left the floor from the backcourt, then the ball is in backcourt when he touches it. So, the only way this situation is a violation is if the player was in frontcourt when he jumped, and occurs when he lands with the ball in backcourt.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal on 02-15-2000 01:50 PM
I don't quite know what you mean when you say it is a violation when he touches the ball AFTER landing in backcourt.

Hmm, good catch, Ralph. I believe in that last phrase I was thinking that the ball was tossed in the air by A1. Should have reminded myself what the original post said. The rest of my comments were accurate, I believe. Thanks for pointing that out.