Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

NBA embarassment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Yea, like he's got a lot of credibility.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 06:10am
Official & Member

Just the same, this kind of cr@p is what fans want to hear...the fix is in...the ref had it in for us. It'll be interesting to see if it goes any further.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

This is horse bleep...true or not, it just feeds the public perception and THAT sucks!

I will say this though....David Stern repsonded on ESPN and some of his answers were choppy and seemed like he didn't really believe what he was saying. Could have been that he was sincere and answering off the cuff with out a prepaired statement but if if somebody is not guilty I would think their answers would have been a bit more precise....Makes me wonder if Tim Doneghy(sp) is not telling the truth at least in part....
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 09:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have zero confidence in the convicted felon. A conspiracy by the NBA to ensure a game 7 would certainly have come out somewhere. The potential downside should it come out is so massive and devastating that no sane organization would take the risk. Not when the reward is one more game's revenue. Stern is nothing if not calculating, and if he was considering something this nefarious, he would have certainly thought of the colossal risk with a very high probability of coming to fruition.

Until more evidence comes out, I'm taking this for what it is. Desperate anomisity from a convicted felon attempting to lash out at the NBA and reduce his sentence.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

This was the topic of discussion on local talk radio last night, as you might imagine, this being Jazz country and all. And, of course, they dragged out all the most cherished conspiracy theories about the NBA. The biggest being that the NBA always tries to ensure two big market teams make it to the finals, preferably Boston and L.A.

Except that Boston and L.A. haven't been to the finals in what...the past 23 years until now? Which makes that a pretty impotent conspiracy if it exists.

I'll buy that the league promotes and protects the stars. The NBA is a business and nobody pays for season tickets to watch Kobe sitting on the bench with 4 fouls or an injury. But there are just too many variables involved, too many players who are in it only for themselves, and too few consistently "predictable" outcomes for the league and its officials to be exercising the kind of control over the game that so many conspiracy theorists cry about.

I'm betting (no pun intended) that our friend has a book deal in the works and is laying ground work for an "expose" of some kind.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Whether we believe Timmy or not...the KINGS GOT SCREWED in game 6 of that series.

...ok...ok...I bleed purple & black. I just had to rant a bit.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

1. who in the world would trade Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol?
2. KG and Allen to Boston?
3. Chicago Bulls with 1.5% chance of winning the lottery (3rd biggest market in the league)
4. Last yr NBA final rating is lowest all all time!!!!
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
Whether we believe Timmy or not...the KINGS GOT SCREWED in game 6 of that series.

...ok...ok...I bleed purple & black. I just had to rant a bit.
That was my senior year of high school and there were quite a few angry Kings fans in school after that series was over. Most I'm sure believe that the game was fixed so this will probably just validate their "theory".
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

If he's lying and if he makes these exact same claims under oath, he's committing perjury. Although he's a felon and has lost almost all credibility, I think he's being truthful.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

For those that don't know, jimpiano only posts here when he can find something negative about officiating to stir the sh!tstorm. Just be aware.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
1. who in the world would trade Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol?
2. KG and Allen to Boston?
3. Chicago Bulls with 1.5% chance of winning the lottery (3rd biggest market in the league)
4. Last yr NBA final rating is lowest all all time!!!!
Something does smell funny...

I also like the Crosby to Pittsburg story. I think the league had its mitts in that one.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
For those that don't know, jimpiano only posts here when he can find something negative about officiating to stir the sh!tstorm. Just be aware.
Yabut , he does have the right to speak his mind because America is the greatest democracy. But the jig is up, and the truth is out there, we found out his modus operandi.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Actually my Canadian friend, no he doesn't.

This is a privately owned website. We all post here at the behest and courtesy of RightSports, Inc. RightSports is not the US Government. Therefore, they can edit/delete/censor any remarks or ban any of us completely if they choose to. There is no RIGHT to post here.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Actually my Canadian friend, no he doesn't.

This is a privately owned website. We all post here at the behest and courtesy of RightSports, Inc. RightSports is not the US Government. Therefore, they can edit/delete/censor any remarks or ban any of us completely if they choose to. There is no RIGHT to post here.
C'est vrai. I forgot. Thanks!