The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Can someone help me with these (thanks)....

1) Team A inbounding in front Court. Is it a violation to throw the ball off
a) the Backboard,
b) the rim
c) if not violation, could he be the 1st to touch it??

2) A1 going in for uncontested layup, throws the ball off the backboard (does not hit the rim) catches it himself and dunks it (showtime!!!) Is this legal ???
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

The key to these rulings is that a ball hitting the backboard (other than the back) is the same as hitting the floor inbounds, except that hitting your own backboard is not the start of a dribble.

So, (IIRC the questions correctly):

1 a and b) Neither of these are violations. IF the ball hits the back of the backboard, that's a violation (the back is out of bounds).

1c) A throw in must be touched first (or touch) by someone ohter than the thrower.

2) Not a violation.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins on 02-14-2000 02:10 PM
The key to these rulings is that a ball hitting the backboard (other than the back) is the same as hitting the floor inbounds, except that hitting your own backboard is not the start of a dribble.

So, (IIRC the questions correctly):

1 a and b) Neither of these are violations. IF the ball hits the back of the backboard, that's a violation (the back is out of bounds).

1c) A throw in must be touched first (or touch) by someone ohter than the thrower.

2) Not a violation.

I disagree somewhat with the answer to #2. If the player was dribbling prior to throwing it against the board then you could have a double dribble.

Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

#2 Legal. He went from Board to dunk. Lets say he did dribble after hitting the back board, are you going to say it wasn't a shot?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Dr C.

On 1 a & b - unless the ball richochets back to the inbounder. Then it is a violation in both cases. I had this happen to me in a game last week and the coach argued that the ball never went in so it should be inbounded again. And I said "so if the ibounder throws it the length of the court without it going into play it is inbound again??? I convinced the coach on that argument.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 04:24pm

NF Case Book PLay 4.15.4c part C. After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball (C) against his/her own backboard, catches the rebound, and dribbles again. Ruling: Legal play. The backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds, BUT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE PART OF A DRIBBLE.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

the Key word "Rebound" Its considered a shot. Once we have a shot no more team control. I wouldn't want to be the official to explan to the coach he wasn't shooting when the ball hits the backboard.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

But we do call a violation when a FT misses the rim (hits the backboard and nothing else). And you Know with the younger levels
they ARE trying to make the FT. With JV/V,
you can tell if it's a valid try or not!!!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by walt on 02-14-2000 03:24 PM
NF Case Book PLay 4.15.4c part C. After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball (C) against his/her own backboard, catches the rebound, and dribbles again. Ruling: Legal play. The backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds, BUT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE PART OF A DRIBBLE.

This confused me when I read it in the case book, and it confuses me now.... How can he get another dribble?

[This message has been edited by JoeT (edited February 15, 2000).]
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

DrC., Its just the rule. It does help to understand why so when you have sonething funny and not covered in rules or you forget the rule, you can go to Common Sense rule. The rule for Free throw hitting the rim was to prevent throwing off back board to get an advantage for rebound while the others have to stay in their lanes.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DrC. on 02-15-2000 12:38 PM
But we do call a violation when a FT misses the rim (hits the backboard and nothing else). And you Know with the younger levels

On a field goal after a dribble you might be pretty sure it wasn't a try but good luck selling it to the coach --I know, I know, that doesn't matter, but, GOOD LUCK

[This message has been edited by Ralph Stubenthal (edited February 15, 2000).]
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DrC. on 02-15-2000 12:38 PM

True, but the rule takes the "guesswork" out of it altogether. Even though the player, in the situation brought up, appears to be merely throwing the ball against the backboard, it is always considered the same a shot and, thus, can be rebounded as if he were actually trying to make it. The FT scenario (re: hitting the rim) is a separate rule, I believe to prevent the old "miss-it-on-purpose-and-get-my-own-rebound" tactic from being too easy.