The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   BI or T (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/45030-bi-t.html)

Ch1town Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:26pm

BI or T

A2 shoots the ball, it passes through rim but not out of the net as A5 grabs the rim. What is the correct ruling?

Jurassic Referee Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town
A2 shoots the ball, it passes through rim but not out of the net as A5 grabs the rim. What is the correct ruling?

Offensive BI, no basket. Call a "T" on A5 only <b>IF</b> if he didn't grab the ring to avoid injury.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:45pm

Quote:

Its too early in the morning for a quesion like this, :D , but I will give my rules interpretation, both NFHS and NCAA (I don't feel like climbing up in the attic to check my FIBA book for a FIBA ruling):

When A5 touched the rim he committed offensive basket interference. A5's violation caused the ball to become dead and no points are scored for A2 and Team A. A5 then proceeded to grab the rim. Unless he was grabbing the rim to protect himself from landing on another player, I have a technical foul by A5 for grabbing the rim. You really can't have one without the other.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Offensive BI, no basket. Call a "T" on A5 only <b>IF</b> if he didn't grab the ring to avoid injury.

JR:

Dang, I was still writing while you were hitting the submit button, :D .

MTD, Sr.

Ch1town Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:53pm

Really? Looks like I missed yet another one :mad:
A5 just jumped up and grabbed the rim for some odd reason (YMCA HS league). The ball was clearly going through! Hadn't seen that one before.

I went with BI and a player (who claims to have had "reffed") asked in passing "shouldn't that be a T"?
I went with selective hearing & didn't respond (live ball - I had a job to do) :D
Guess I'll have to man up & let him know he was absolutely correct :o

Jurassic Referee Mon Jun 02, 2008 03:02pm

Quote:

Really? Looks like I missed yet another one :mad:

NFHS case book play 10.3.4SitB(a).

Look at it this way. You won't miss it again.

Ch1town Mon Jun 02, 2008 03:17pm

No sir, not twice! It probably won't happen again for a while but when it does... ;)
Thanks again, JR.

BillyMac Mon Jun 02, 2008 05:53pm

10.3.4 Situation B

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NFHS case book play 10.3.4SitB(a).

10.3.4 Situation B: A1 jumps for a try near the basket but loses his/her balance after releasing the ball. A1 grasps the basket to prevent injury. The ball: (a) is; or (b) is not, in the basket or on the ring while A1 is hanging on the ring.

Ruling: In (a), it is basket interference by A1 which causes the ball to become dead and no goal can be scored. In (b), there is no violation unless A1 is still hanging on the ring when the ball touches the basket or goes into the basket. In both (a) and (b), A1’s grasping is not penalized if it is judged there was a possibility of injury had he/she not grasped the basket. (9-1)