The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I have a question for some of you pros out there, from a situation I had. Partner is reporting a foul and while watching the players, one of them commits a technical, (an elbow as another player walked by, same two involved in foul). This might sound picky but what are the best mechanics and could I have done something differently? Do you make the sign for a T and then just stand there and wait for your partner to get done reporting, should you at any point blow your whistle (play is obviously already stopped, will it mess up your partner reporting, lets everyone know something is going on, etc).

Here is what I did. I ran over to stop any future actions, then made the T sign, then stood there a while as there was a question from the table to my partner, some players and one coach had seen my signal and started asking across the court to me what was going on, my partner looked over in the middle of what he was doing and I just made another T sign, one coach thought I had called a second T, people are getting upset. I finally was able to go to my partner and inform him while the questions were getting louder, then to the table to report and sort it out. I am not sure what to do different but it felt awkward, not communicated well and a little confusing to everyone.
Thanks.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

I agree this can be an awkward situation to handle smoothly with regards to communication and mechanics. I remember the game this year where we had five technicals issued, there were a couple of times it seemed like my partner and I were tag-team reporting at the table. I think I would blow my whistle to not only get the players' attention, but also to let partner, coaches, and fans know there is a situation on the court that you are taking care of. Then I guess you have to wait at the scene of the crime for your partner to come back or send the players to their respective benches. That may be the best thing to do, that would give you a chance to explain to coaches, partner, and table what happened without worrying about another incident. Interesting topic.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Hit the whistle immediately in a case like this.

By blowing the whistle, you let the elbowee know that you saw the action and it is being penalized - this can discourage the elbowee from quickly becoming an elbower.

Also (as you pointed out) the coaches know that a T has been called, so they don't have to swear and scream about a T (thus earning themselves one).
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 07:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If I'm reporting a foul and there is a technical seen by my partner while I am reporting, I would want him (or her - see Juulie, I'm learning) to blow the whistle immediately even if I am in the middle of a sentence. I can always repeat what I have said if the scorer doesn't hear me.

Blowing the whistle tells everyone not to do anything else, and that's the point.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Ditto what Mark and Mark said. All fouls start with a whistle.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the previous replies. By blowing your whistle, you get everyone's attention. Your whistle makes an irreproducible statement. "I'm on top of things and that won't be tolerated. End of story." With the players realizing you're watching, retaliation is preventable. I don't think clenching your fist is a must, but the whistle is.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the inputeveryone. that helped a lot and I will definitely blow my whistle next time (if there is a next time).