The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

HS camps in GA / SC area

Lawman - there is a GREAT intro. camp being held at Clemson Univ. in a week or so. Let me know if you would like more information. This camp is where I started my officiating career 10 years ago.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 06:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach State Ref
This camp is where I started my officiating career 10 years ago.
So now we know who to blame.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach State Ref
Lawman - there is a GREAT intro. camp being held at Clemson Univ. in a week or so. Let me know if you would like more information. This camp is where I started my officiating career 10 years ago.

Any info you can give for contact for them would be great. That is a lot closer for me. I looked on the web but couldn't find any camps they were holding since 05.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the forum Lawman.

Be sure to let us know how your certification clinics/class go and keep us updated throughout the season.

It would probably do many of us, myself included, some good to see to see our profession though the eyes of a beginner once again.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Here is contact information for the camp at Clemson University

GBOA Clemson Camp
June 20-22, 2008
Jim Pepper, Camp Director
Phone: (404) 943-9950
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I hate coming to a new board and asking some of these questions as I know it isn't the first time a new guy has bugged you here. Thanks for all the info I will def keep you posted. I am working the days of the Clemson camp so the developmental camp at Mercer is my only option that I am off of work for to be able to attend. Since I have such a long drive the camp director is gonna let me arrive the day prior and assign me a room so that I will have a place to stay and don't have to fork out more $ for a hotel room.

As far as officiating I have been studying the rule book pretty intense and just finished up through Rule 4. Nothing has really surprised me but I didn't realize how much I didn't know. From coaching I knew all of the more common calls but didn't realize the depth of rules all together. So I have a ton of learning to do and am glad I came here. Without this thread I probably wouldn't have went to camp this summer at all. So either this camp will do me a ton of good to get started with or you all will have to chip in the reimburse me

What do you all suggest I show up for camp most prepared for ? Should I keep studying the rules for the next 2 months or concentrate more on hand signals and where I should be on the court etc. ?

Last edited by Lawman; Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 03:50pm.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 05:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misunderstood Rules ...

Check it out:

Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, you need to spend time on all of it. In order to properly call the game you need to know the rules. So finish reading the rules book, realizing that many words and phrases you'll encounter in rules 5-10 have very specific meanings as defined in Rule 4. So get in the habit of flipping back to Rule 4 to look up definitions as you proceed. Read the case book along with the rules, if you can.

But to make calls, you've got to see the plays. That means knowing where to be and what to watch. So spend some time in your mechanics manual and watching games to observe the refs.

Of course, once you blow the whistle, it's show time. How you communicate, as you know all to well from your life as a coach, has a lot to do with how your call is received. So get in front of the mirror and work on your presentation.

If you've got 2 months, then I'd work up a rough schedule to help you balance your preparation time, spending some of it regularly on each aspect.

And keep bringing your questions here.

Just my $0.02
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks actually I go next weekend
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman
Thanks actually I go next weekend
Ah, somehow I got stuck on 2 months. With only a week or two, do what you can
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Here is another camp in Tennessee that I just heard about which is TOMORROW . It looks to be geared towards new officials and its free. I'm not affiliated with this camp (just got a mass email about it) so I can't say if it's good or not. I've copied and pasted the info below:

PRO active 101 Officiating
*A Basic Approach to the Fundamentals of Basketball Officiating!

June 11-13, 2008
Middle Tennessee State University
Camp Director: Phil Robinson (NBA/Former SEC REF)
3308 Tifton Lane
Opelika, Alabama 36804
(334)444-0216
[email protected]

Tuition, room and meals are provided FREE of charge. Campers are onlyresponsible for travel expenses incurred. THIS IS A FREE CAMP AND A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR YOUNG OR INEXPERIENCED OFFICIALS. PLEASE HELP PHIL FILL HIS CAMP!!!!

******Please contact Phil Robinson if Interested in Attending. NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!!!!!

******Identification Camp for Officials who want to be Identified for Possible Higher Level Camps!!
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 02:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Here is another camp in Tennessee that I just heard about which is TOMORROW . It looks to be geared towards new officials and its free. I'm not affiliated with this camp (just got a mass email about it) so I can't say if it's good or not. I've copied and pasted the info below:

PRO active 101 Officiating
*A Basic Approach to the Fundamentals of Basketball Officiating!

June 11-13, 2008
Middle Tennessee State University
Camp Director: Phil Robinson (NBA/Former SEC REF)
3308 Tifton Lane
Opelika, Alabama 36804
(334)444-0216
[email protected]

Tuition, room and meals are provided FREE of charge. Campers are onlyresponsible for travel expenses incurred. THIS IS A FREE CAMP AND A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR YOUNG OR INEXPERIENCED OFFICIALS. PLEASE HELP PHIL FILL HIS CAMP!!!!

******Please contact Phil Robinson if Interested in Attending. NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!!!!!

******Identification Camp for Officials who want to be Identified for Possible Higher Level Camps!!
You can't beat a deal like that. That's how the Bob Gibbons Tournament used to be. Phil Robinson is obviously a John Guthrie protege'.