The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

did any one see the play (iu vs kent) that coverdale sprained his ankle on late in the second half? any thoughts if you have seen the play?
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 11:55pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
He was driving the lane and split two defenders and stepped on one foot and his ankle touched the court. Didn't look good, made some people at my house a little quesy everytime they replayed it.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
He was driving the lane and split two defenders and stepped on one foot and his ankle touched the court. Didn't look good, made some people at my house a little quesy everytime they replayed it.
do you think a call should have been made?
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 12:06am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
From what I recall the defenders were vertical and left enough room for Coverdale to step through. He was turning a corner (kinda like a screen) around one of the defenders and stepped wide with his outside foot and planted it right on top of the defenders foot. Completely Coverdale's fault. Just on of those things that happens every once in a while.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
From what I recall the defenders were vertical and left enough room for Coverdale to step through. He was turning a corner (kinda like a screen) around one of the defenders and stepped wide with his outside foot and planted it right on top of the defenders foot. Completely Coverdale's fault. Just on of those things that happens every once in a while.
I agree. Watched this a couple of times last night on ESPN and it was just an unfortunate thing that happened. It was a very ugly ankle turn.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

NO foul. IU coach says he will play. I would be very surprised to see him play. That was about as bad as it gets. His ankle turned 90*.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

to me, if using the baseline camera angle it appears that the defender on the left side of the screen has his leg a good ways outside of his frame.
even when the play occurred from the upperdeck angle i assumed that a foul had been called and davis would certainly have to replace coverdale with a freethrow shooter.
i was very surprised that a tripping foul was not called. but apparently i am on the low percentage end of the foul pole.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Tony,
On first glance of the replay, I thought the same thing.
Tripping foul. But I tried to put myself in the refs position and I can't honestly say I would have called a trip. (And I normally have no problem calling a trip if
a player goes to the ground.)

Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I don't think stepping on a foot of a opponent who is playing normal defense on his own defender is a trip. I didn't think the def. did anything illegal. His foot may have been a little wide, but not because he was defending Coverdale, or b/c he stuck his foot out at the last second. Picture yourself defending, you have one foot in front and the back foot back with your upper body leaning toward the off. player. Coverdale just stepped ON the foot. As the old saying goes, stuff happens. Some might want to make a case that Coverdale's defender was guilding (pushing) Coverdale wide, hence foul. However, all throughout this game and the other games, the officials have allowed this type of defense, so i don't think you can call a foul.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

If a player tries to split a double team and goes to the floor as a result, I would normally have nothing on this play so as not to bail a player out of a perilous situation that he created himself. However, it one on one situations where the offensive player goes the floor, I am taking a tripping foul.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
If a player tries to split a double team and goes to the floor as a result, I would normally have nothing on this play so as not to bail a player out of a perilous situation that he created himself. However, it one on one situations where the offensive player goes the floor, I am taking a tripping foul.
I Concur!
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
Sorry, what does that last sentence mean?
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
Quote:
However, it one on one situations where the offensive player goes the floor, I am taking a tripping foul.
Sorry, what does that last sentence mean? [/B]
The second word above should be "in", as opposed to "it", that's all. It should read, "In one-on-one situations where the offensive player goes [to] the floor, I am [calling] a tripping foul."

Make more sense?

Chuck
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help Chuck. Sometimes I don't have the time to closely scrutinize every word I post due to time constraints. Next time I will send my post through the House and Sentate before I submit it.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

analization

i want to analyze this situation a tad bit more.
after reviewing the play again let us focus on the baseline camera angle.
coverdale does go between 2 defenders, i totally agree. on the right side of the screen(tv screen) we have the primary defender and on the left side of the screen there is a help/secondary defender.
coverdale drives to the basket and his left foot(foot closest to the goal/inside foot) steps on the secondary defenders right foot(again secondary defender is to the right of coverdale). this means that the defender must have had his leg extended wide of his normal defensive stance for coverdale to be able to step on his foot.

i just think that a foul should be called on these kinds of plays especially when it involves help defenders that are not playing good D.

does anyone else have anything to add to clarify the situation?