The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Crew,
Basically, they were trying to take a foul at this point. When the official passed on the original chuck/impede contact across the lane on an offensive player who was a poor free throw shooter, the foul became aggressive as the player was pushed from the middle of the lane into the bench area. At this point, it became intentional, I agree. However, if the chuck foul was called at the point it occurred, then this would be a normal common foul as the offensive player was trying to cut towards the ball to receive a pass in getting open.

However, it was not called. I brought this thread up as I think it was a good learning tool for all of us. It is irrelevant who made the call or whether they were right or wrong. Just something to talk about in this forum. There is no doubt that the actions over by the bench were intentional, that I agree with.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

BBarnaky, It appeared to me the intent by the def. was to get a common foul called from the beginning, and the officials weren't buying it. For them to call a common foul in the beginning would have been unfair to the team with the ball. I think they were correct to wait for a legitimate common foul. I also believe the def. knew who they wanted to foul and that is why they were intentionally trying to foul from the center of the lane.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with most that an intentional foul needs to be called here. The officials should realize what is going on here. The worst free throw shooter is being seeked out and fouled without the ball. If he has the ball I have no problem with a normal foul. The first chuck/impede should not be called because the officials don't know if this is intentional yet or just physical play. They correctly wait to make sure that it is intentional. Now by the time they call it it is an easy sell. If they call it as soon as it happened as an intentional foul they are going to take some heat. I don't think we can call a guideline off ball foul under 30 seconds left with the defense down by 2. We are rewarding the defense too much here. Of course, if this same play happnes earlier in the game I agree that the foul should be called immediately on the first contact and it should be a normal foul. However, the officials have to know that in this situation the defense is trying to take a foul on a bad free throw shooter.