The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Well todd I probably would allow the sub. Remember this is the start of the quarter. If you let her play tell whistle its too late.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

By the way, we let her come in to the game without a "T". The opposing coach wanted a "T" by my partner was the REF and he said no "T". Upon reflecting, I agree, no "T".
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Question

Had a situation occur Saturday and can't find a ruling in the book. In the varsity game going into the fourth quarter, after the 15 second horn had sounded but, before the ball was ou into play the official scorer informed me that a player on the court had played all of the alloted quarters for the day and was ineligible to continue.

What to do? Let the team play with only four players until the first dead ball? Let the girl enter but assess the team a technical for not having her report to the table on time? Let the player enter with no penalty?

The rules book doesn't address this situation.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Michael on 02-14-2000 10:12 AM
Had a situation occur Saturday and can't find a ruling in the book. In the varsity game going into the fourth quarter, after the 15 second horn had sounded but, before the ball was ou into play the official scorer informed me that a player on the court had played all of the alloted quarters for the day and was ineligible to continue.

The rules book doesn't address this situation.

You're right, the rule book doesn't address this. This is not a call for the referee to make, you allow the player to continue playing. No call is made at all, we finish the game as normal.

It is up to the coaches/administration to submit this type of violation to the governing body (usually the state) after the game. They get to handle it.

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Judgement Call, not in rule book. Tell coach he has the option to call Time Out to exchange to player. Or if no TO's and one sided game tell the coach to say something quietly to get a "T" foul.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Or how about just letting the player be removed from the game because she is ineligible to play that quarter? We're splitting hairs here: If the quarter hasn't started, and you've been informed the player can't continue, just let the change be made. Not a big deal. If you feel it's not your job to determine whether or not she's ineligible (which it's not) and you don't want to allow the substitution, then tell the coach to wait for the next whistle to sub for her.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a little twist. When is a player a legal player?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I think you should allow the substitution with no penalty. The only reference would be in the high school casebook it allows for a substitute to enter after the warning horn if there is a subsequent delay for an injury. Not the same thing, but it makes the rule not an absolute as far as entering after the warning horn.

As for the eligibilty question. I was always under the impression that it was up to the governing body to rule on such matters and that we as officials were not to get involved. However, in Ohio, it is a technical foul and the player is ejected if they play over their limit of quarters for one day. I found out the hard way when it happened to me earlier this year. I told the coach to take it up with the state after the game, but after the game he showed me the bylaws which stated it was a T and ejection. I still don't like it, but it's the rule in Ohio.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson on 02-14-2000 12:05 PM
Well todd I probably would allow the sub. Remember this is the start of the quarter. If you let her play tell whistle its too late.

I would allow the sub, too. I simply said that if a ref doesn't want to allow it because the warning buzzer already went, then let the coach sub at the next opportunity. Of course, like you said, once she comes in it's too late, in that she has exceeded her number of quarters. But that's the coach's issue, not the refs' (except for Ohio, I guess). Personally, I'd let the sub come in so the coach wouldn't have that problem to begin with. Preventative officiating, once again. If the opposing coach doesn't like it, he/she will complain a bit but then get on with coaching.