The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Refereeing Small (dang dang dang)

Hit my first camp of the season today. Working 3 person crews. And I'll be danged if I didn't let 3 person get into my head to the point where I was so focused on not screwing it up that I quit calling my game. I had a very good chat with my evaluator after the second game and came away with a very big change of attitude.

Went into the next game with an attitude of screw 3 person, I'm going to go out there and referee the game. And if I kick the crap out of the 3 person system, too damn bad. I was vocal, I was strong, I was BIG. And funny enough, it was my best 3 person game of the day. I'm feeling much better about things after that game

Now if I can go back and do that every game tomorrow, I'll be a very ... wait for it ... happy camper.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Sat May 24, 2008 at 01:24am.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Hit my first camp of the season today. Working 3 person crews. And I'll be danged if I didn't let 3 person get into my head to the point where I was so focused on not screwing it up that I quit calling my game. I had a very good chat with my evaluator after the second game and came away with a very big change of attitude.

Went into the next game with an attitude of screw 3 person, I'm going to go out there and referee the game. And if I kick the crap out of the 3 person system, too damn bad. I was vocal, I was strong, I was BIG. I'm feeling much better about things after that game

Now if I can go back and do that every game tomorrow, I'll be a very ... wait for it ... happy camper.
Yes, we do think too much when it comes to 3 person. Glad to hear you rebounded though..
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Before 3-person became second nature, the best piece of advice I got to avoid overthinking was to just look for your partners in your peripheral as a quick reference to where you should be. And leave it at that.

That way, you just make calls and don't worry so much about positioning, rotations, etc.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 06:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Hit my first camp of the season today. Working 3 person crews. And I'll be danged if I didn't let 3 person get into my head to the point where I was so focused on not screwing it up that I quit calling my game.
I don't understand your mental emphasis unless 3-whistle is a relatively new experience. What was going on?
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
What the **** is your problem?!?!?
Note: fixed to reflect the question that should have been asked. The same question I finally asked myself.