The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Listening to the bozos on CBS, I'm about to go insane. (I'd shut off the sound, but I want to hear the horn and whistles.) Here's the best phrase I've heard so far this tourney (it's been used again and again, which makes me think that CBS has a book for its commentators):

"A foul, but no whistle."
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

"Bruce Benedict had his fist in the air as if to call a foul."

For those of you who didn't see the Duke/IU game, two opponents were struggling for the rebound, a second Duke player committed the foul, and the lead came out with a raised fist. Of course, the announcers start talking about who has the arrow, then seem surprised when the PA guy announces a foul!
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 09:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking You think that is good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Listening to the bozos on CBS, I'm about to go insane. (I'd shut off the sound, but I want to hear the horn and whistles.) Here's the best phrase I've heard so far this tourney (it's been used again and again, which makes me think that CBS has a book for its commentators):

I have a better one for you.

"Late whistle."

Peace
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I've just finished watching the Duke/IU game. I was really impressed (as I have for the whole tournament) with the officiating. Especially late in the game; Jason Williams fouled on the three pointer and the no-call on Boozer right after. Replays showed that the refs were on the money. Way to go! And since I'm not in the pool, I'm not crying like alot of guys right now.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I can one up ya!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

I have a better one for you.

"Late whistle."

Peace
How about with about two and a half minutes left in the second half after Duke had saved a loose ball on the baseline with a timeout (was is J. Williams?), they came out after the TO and started play without a whistle!

Better never than late?
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
...I know what my favorite sound would be....

...someone choking Billy Packer...he has NO CLUE on officiating at all.....
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 11:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I think the best (worst?) comment by a sports broadcaster was made by the late Ray Scott, who started doing Green Bay Packer games and then moved up to a regular CBS NFL announcer. (yeah, I know, it's not basketball, but so what)

Whenever someone looked like they got hurt, Scott would say, "He may or may not be injured." I bet he said it 500 times in his broadcasting career.

What the hell does that mean?
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I think the best (worst?) comment by a sports broadcaster was made by the late Ray Scott, who started doing Green Bay Packer games and then moved up to a regular CBS NFL announcer. (yeah, I know, it's not basketball, but so what)

Whenever someone looked like they got hurt, Scott would say, "He may or may not be injured." I bet he said it 500 times in his broadcasting career.

This was obviously said for the fans who were not sure why a player was not getting up off of the ground following a play
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Lenny Elmore: "The ball took a fortuitous bounce"
When he did ACC games, he said this numerous times per game.

and for baseball fans: Joe Morgan second guessing every play in the playoffs: "What he SHOULD have done is........."
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 01:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

This was obviously said for the fans who were not sure why a player was not getting up off of the ground following a play
Ron - my point was that anyone "may or may not be injured" at any time - even while sleeping. Why didn't he just say, "He may be injured"?

What he said was like saying, "He may or may not be left-handed."
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

The genius that is Billy Packer

"He travelled there; maybe twice."

Well, I'd love for the rules expert to explain to us how a player can travel during a dead ball.

When Hank Nichols goes to a tourney game, he usually sits behind and slightly to the side of the CBS commentators. Why can't he just reach over the table and smack the two guys?
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Was Packer right, for once?

Did I just hear him (somewhat) correctly explain the BI rule - that you can't touch the ball while any part of it is in the cylinder?

Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Mark Dexter

Packer got ONE correct tonite....

However, did you hear his comments on the drive to the hoop by the USI player with the Uconn player "shifting under him" after USI player became airborne shooter. (BLOCK) (Late in the 1st half)

Packers comment: "(Uconn Player) did manage to move his feet and get position before (USI player) released the shot." The camera under the basket captured the action; it WAS clearly a BLOCK. Unfortunately, the official called the charge which further "fueled" Packer's ignorance.
Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Ten or twenty minutes after he correctly explained BI, he then screwed it up by explaining a correct BI call as a "clear goaltend."
Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Mark Dexter

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Packers comment: "(Uconn Player) did manage to move his feet and get position before (USI player) released the shot." The camera under the basket captured the action; it WAS clearly a BLOCK. Unfortunately, the official called the charge which further "fueled" Packer's ignorance.
Willie, if the UConn player had position before the contact, then the official called it correctly. The "shifting" feet are irrelevant. I'm not sure I follow the reasoning behind your post. Could you explain a little more?

Chuck