The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 06:02pm
9 times

After I worked the semi-final game of the local JUCO league tournament, the evaluator for the tournament asked to have a word with me privately. He said to me that I work a very nice, steady game, but that he thought I needed a little more flamboyance in my game and that was why I didn't get the final.

I have thought about this for a few days and have wondered how I will inject some flamboyance into what I do. I know that you in the cyber-world don't have the luxury of seeing others here work, but what would you suggest? Being flamboyant is something that I have consciencously avoided to this point. I was always taught that the best refs were invisible in the overall picture of the game (i.e. the players are the show). This puts me into a quandry--how to be a little "showier" without becoming the show?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[Edited by stripes on Mar 20th, 2002 at 05:05 PM]

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I gotta tell you, flamboyance is WAYYYYYYY down on my list of priorities when I'm working a game; especially a college game. Unless I expected a lot of work from this one evaluator/assignor, I personally would not put any stock in his comments about flamboyance.

The one thing I would ask is how you interact with the players in the game, if at all. Maybe (and I have no way of knowing if this is the case) you're perceived as wooden. It was brought up in the "high five" thread, that interacting with the players is not always a bad thing. While this is certainly not the same thing as being flamboyant, maybe just acting a little more natural (less stiff and distant) would project a better image for you.

Chuck
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

When I read your post, a conversation with a local veteran came to mind. We were talking about mechanics and how many refs seem to make up their own visual display of the call. For instance, a ref might call and indicate a hold, then, using his elbow, make a hooking movement. He’s not making up a new mechanic, just adding a little visual aid. We also discussed animation of the visual indication of a foul. I have seen refs go through a much exaggerated pushing motion. If someone had been standing in front of them, they would have ended up in the second tier, aisle 3. After this discussion, I started loosening up my delivery. I still try to duplicate the book movements, but now I have added animation in my calling and reporting. I practiced a few of these additions in the mirror until they didn’t look so contrived. In the end, it looks like you are more “into” the game and I guess it makes you a little more interesting to the crowd.

Hope this helps…

Also, maybe it's not so much flamboyance as presence and style. I don't think I would want to be regarded as the flamboyant official. Sounds kinky
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

I think thabert is right. Maybe it's not flamboyance that you need as much as it is that you don't need to look "plain." For example:

1- When you indicate a direction, do you point with your hand or with two fingers?
2- When you report an illegal use foul, do you chop with an open hand across your forearm, or do you chop with a fist that stops short of your forearm?
3- Are your counts non-chalant and slow or are they sharp, crisp, and accurate?
4- Do you sell the call when you have to?

Watch some of the officials working the tournament this weekend. Maybe you can pick up some things that will make you a little more "flamboyant!"
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 10:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
After I worked the semi-final game of the local JUCO league tournament, the evaluator for the tournament asked to have a word with me privately. He said to me that I work a very nice, steady game, but that he thought I needed a little more flamboyance in my game and that was why I didn't get the final.

I have thought about this for a few days and have wondered how I will inject some flamboyance into what I do. I know that you in the cyber-world don't have the luxury of seeing others here work, but what would you suggest? Being flamboyant is something that I have consciencously avoided to this point. I was always taught that the best refs were invisible in the overall picture of the game (i.e. the players are the show). This puts me into a quandry--how to be a little "showier" without becoming the show?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[Edited by stripes on Mar 20th, 2002 at 05:05 PM]

I suggest that you continue to go to camp every summer, and above all: be yourself.

Please let me know where you live, so that I can contact that assigner and chew his tuckus. He is the reason we have so manner screwed up young officials working today.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Here's some tips on flamboyance.

1. When you call a travel from lead, play a tune on your whistle, wave your arms like you're taking flight, and give the travel signal while running to mid court.

2. When you call a foul,a simple no brainer common foul,
come rushing in, fist up, birddoging right in the players face, hit the whistle again, birddog again, so everyone knows without a doubt who the foul is on.

3. When the ball goes out of bounds, get down on your knees
and point vigourously to the spot where it hit the line.

4. During the first of multiple free throws, stand in your normal spot at lead, then come flying in so you can catch the ball before it hits the ground. Great hustle!

5. When reffing in the lead and play is at the basket, get to the middle of the paint, crouch down and look really hard for a foul to call.

Hope this helps.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
4. During the first of multiple free throws, stand in your normal spot at lead, then come flying in so you can catch the ball before it hits the ground. Great hustle!
Hmmmm, that's one that I actually do. I was taught to catch the ball before it hits the ground, if possible. Maybe I'll rethink that one.

But the one I really love is the Lead official who has a foul on a drive to the basket, and the ball sort of sits on the rim for a second or two. I love it when he sort of hops on one foot toward the table waiting for the ball to fall through so he can BANG! it home.

Chuck
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

This point was confusing to me early on. I was being told to "do things by the book" while those who were offering the advice would do things comnpletely different themselves. With time, I developed my own "style" which I am comfortable with. Most of the top officials I see and work with all seem to pretty much make the same calls. What distinguishes those from the very top from others (in my neck of the woods) is court presence, game (coach) management and approachability.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 10:31am
Esteemed Participant

I had this situation explained to me in a little different way at a camp several years ago...I was told I was "too vanilla" on the court...took me several hours of conversations with the observer ( a multiple time Final Four official) before I began to understand that style has something to do with it...not talking about the obnoxious things like hitting the whistle multiple times, but showing some excitement yourself at certain times, not calling every foul or violation with exactly the same demeanor the entire game, dealing with coaches more openly (not antagonistically), laughing and talking with players at appropriate times, etc...worked on those things all the next season, went back to the same camp the next year and had the same observer watch me - hence the nickname rockyroad - not vanilla anymore!!
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Drake loved your points.... I have seen all of those in the NCAA tournament and not sure I like any of them.

To stripes.... My guess is what he wants to see in not necessarily flamboyance but personality.
Are you so by the book mechanical that you look like a robot?
Do you call the bang-bang play the same way you call the easy one. How do you sell the call? If you "sell" a call with the same old ... (Lets take a good old PC/charge) and it's blow whistle fist up, bird dog, hand behind head, take 15 seconds to do all that....

On a rebound foul and it's going the other way do you blow whgo up with fist and bird dog etc,,, or do you go up with fist and point direction first.

How strong are your points for OOB do they go out? or are they sharp and thrown out with a little oopmph..
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
But the one I really love is the Lead official who has a foul on a drive to the basket, and the ball sort of sits on the rim for a second or two. I love it when he sort of hops on one foot toward the table waiting for the ball to fall through so he can BANG! it home.

Chuck
I love it!

Timmy Higgins is the guy that does this quite a bit, isn't it?
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Stripes,
Just watch a college game on tv and you'll understand what that guy means. Remember when in Rome do as the Romans. If thats what he wants, give it to him in that league. If another league wants a steady official that doesn't get all spazy on the floor with signals and mechanics then be steady. The best thing you can do is to be able to adjust. One night be steady, next night be spazy, the next night be smooth, etc.
It is no different at the different levels. One night work high school. Use their rules, mechanics and boring signals they promote. Next night in college, work the way they wish for you to work, whatever that might be. The next night, if your lucky, work the pro rules, mechanics, and smooth stuff they do and look athletic doing it.

THE KEY HERE IS TO BE ABLE TO ADJUST. THE MORE ADJUSTING ONE CAN MAKE, THE BETTER OF AN OFFICIAL YOU WILL BECOME!!
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 12:50pm
9 times

I appreicate all of the replies. I don't believe that I am "wooden, robotic or vanilla", but maybe I am. I am interested in keeping these people happy. I worked 22 games in the league and the semis in the tournament.

Quote:
1- When you indicate a direction, do you point with your hand or with two fingers?
2- When you report an illegal use foul, do you chop with an open hand across your forearm, or do you chop with a fist that stops short of your forearm?
3- Are your counts non-chalant and slow or are they sharp, crisp, and accurate?
4- Do you sell the call when you have to?
1--two fingers
2--fist
3--sharp, etc
4--I believe I sell it when needed

I watch a lot of college ball, and after watching my games, I think I am not that much different from many of the guys I see on the tube. I go to at least one and as many as three "college or try out" camps each year and have never heard anything like this--hence the confusion.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes

I watch a lot of college ball, and after watching my games, I think I am not that much different from many of the guys I see on the tube. I go to at least one and as many as three "college or try out" camps each year and have never heard anything like this--hence the confusion.

Try a pink and black striped shirt, a gaudy belt, and a diamond encrusted lanyard - maybe that's the type of flamboyance they're looking for.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Try a pink and black striped shirt, a gaudy belt, and a diamond encrusted lanyard - maybe that's the type of flamboyance they're looking for.
Maybe bring a candelabra to put on the scorer's table? "I wish my brother George were here. . ."

(I know, I watched way too much Bugs Bunny as a kid)

Chuck