The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

This topic was discussed at some length in another recent post. First of all, the Lead should be administering all free throws now according to the new mechanic this year, with the Trail guy communicating the number of throws before moving out of the lane. Had this miscommunication been caught by the Lead, the players would not have been misinformed before the next shot took place. However, since they were misinformed and thus were under the direction that there were to be 2 shots, either official could and probably SHOULD have blown the whistle once the uncontested rebound occured. Then, once the error is establised and explained to the coaches, play would be resumed via the possession arrow with both officials quite red in face. It is not one of the 5 correctable error situations, since all warranted free-throws were administered. I, for one, would not allow the "gimme" basket because of such a mistake that I allowed or caused. Not that we are always able to rectify our mistakes like that, but in this particular situation it would simple (?) enough to handle as I described.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited February 13, 2000).]
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Unhappy

I agree with Todd as far as the way the situation should be handled. My question is why is the Lead calling a violation on the shooter. That is the Trail's responsibility. A good pregame prevents this error.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

a1 is shooting 2 free throws, shoots first free throw but lead official calls lane voilation on shooter, lead official reports voilation,then trail official tells players 2 shots after voilation when it should only be one shot, shooter misses free throw and team mate grabs rebound and makes the basket while the other players do not move. Is this a correctable error?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with Todd. not correctable, but make it right and learn from your mistake

------------------
foxyref
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

My fault i meant the trail called the voilation. I did not think it was a correctable error. Thanks for your reply