The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Mar 19, 2002, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A couple of points that I wanted to bring up about actions I have seen in the NCAA tournament's. I just wonder if anyone else has noticed and get some thoughts on the calls and/or no-calls.
1) I have seen several dunks well after the whistle. I am talking about players that are not already heading to the basket to dunk. The whistle blows and everyone stops, except one big guy with the ball who takes two steps and slams it. I can't tell that the officials even notice it, though maybe they do and either tell the player not to do it or choose to ignore it. Should anything be done or said about this by the officials on the floor?
2) Players dunking, then slapping the backboard while still in the air. To me that is taunting and is unsportsmanlike. I don't even remember what game it was but it was towards the end of a close game and had the player been assessed a technical it could have had an affect on the outcome. I think until a supervisor or somebody tells me to look the other way, this is automatic in my book. Thoughts?
3) One thing I hadn't really noticed until last night in the Women's NCAA tourney when Minnesota was playing at UNC, an assistant?(an adult woman at the far end of the bench) was nearly out on the court wildly flinging a large white towel towards the official in anger over a call. The head coach was reluctant to argue because she had been T'd minutes before. I think I would have to put a stop to actions like this very quickly. It looked like it would be very hard to ignore as animated as it was.