The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   tourney happenings (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4418-tourney-happenings.html)

devdog69 Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:33pm

A couple of points that I wanted to bring up about actions I have seen in the NCAA tournament's. I just wonder if anyone else has noticed and get some thoughts on the calls and/or no-calls.
1) I have seen several dunks well after the whistle. I am talking about players that are not already heading to the basket to dunk. The whistle blows and everyone stops, except one big guy with the ball who takes two steps and slams it. I can't tell that the officials even notice it, though maybe they do and either tell the player not to do it or choose to ignore it. Should anything be done or said about this by the officials on the floor?
2) Players dunking, then slapping the backboard while still in the air. To me that is taunting and is unsportsmanlike. I don't even remember what game it was but it was towards the end of a close game and had the player been assessed a technical it could have had an affect on the outcome. I think until a supervisor or somebody tells me to look the other way, this is automatic in my book. Thoughts?
3) One thing I hadn't really noticed until last night in the Women's NCAA tourney when Minnesota was playing at UNC, an assistant?(an adult woman at the far end of the bench) was nearly out on the court wildly flinging a large white towel towards the official in anger over a call. The head coach was reluctant to argue because she had been T'd minutes before. I think I would have to put a stop to actions like this very quickly. It looked like it would be very hard to ignore as animated as it was.

Bart Tyson Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:48pm

1) No problem with the dunking after the whistle. At least in the situations i have seen.

2) Actually this was called a T in a NC2a game. I saw the replays just when i turned on the TV. Don't know the game but they did call the T. And i think it was at the end of a close game.

3) didn't see that, but i saw a game last night where the court had 10' to 15' clearance around the court. The coaches were not near the court. whats up with that.

devdog69 Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:59pm

Bart,

1)so do you just ignore it or try to stop it by preventative officiating?
2)I did see it called once, which is why I noticed it the second time probably, and it wasn't called then, same question would you call it if you saw it
3)the weirdest one I have seen was in a conference tournament, the court at Wisconsin??? or Minnesota??? was about three feet higher than the benches, like they were in a pit, I would be afraid of falling off as an official

RecRef Tue Mar 19, 2002 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by devdog69
Bart,

3)the weirdest one I have seen was in a conference tournament, the court at Wisconsin??? or Minnesota??? was about three feet higher than the benches, like they were in a pit, I would be afraid of falling off as an official

Loyola of New Orleans, back when they had a team (?-late 60s) had a cout like that. The ABA's New Olearns Buccaneers uses the gym for their home games. Memory is sort of dim now but I think there was a 6 foot border before the drop. Made for some interesting games.

bard Tue Mar 19, 2002 01:38pm

Mackey Arena

Mackey Arena at Purdue has a drop off for where the players sit. I'm told the players have the worst seats in the house! (Could explain why Keady always looks so grumpy...)

Bart Tyson Tue Mar 19, 2002 04:29pm

Quote:

Bart,

I havn't seen such a late dunk where i would make an issue of it. If i did i would just remind them to give the ball to the official after a whistle. However keep in mind the only mens games i do are in HS. I do about one mens college game a year.

2)I did see it called once, which is why I noticed it the second time probably, and it wasn't called then, same question would you call it if you saw it

HS or College, slaping the back board by the player dunking will be a T ever time.

dblref Wed Mar 20, 2002 07:35am

Quote:

Bart,

I think this is also the situation at Vanderbilt. They were playing the other night and this may have been what you saw. There is a 6-8 foot border and when you report in, you have to step up to the court.

mnref Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:49am

Devdog69, I saw that assistant from ther UNC/Minn women's game the other night too. I think she was either an assistant or an injured player ... couldn't tell, but the towel waving was constant throughout the second half and it was directed at the officials a lot of the time. She definitely deserved a T.

Williams arena (The Barn) at Minnesota is notorious for its raised floor. I've seen a few players go tumbling or slide right off into the cheerleaders.

I saw a little of the Vanderbilt game. The teams sit underneath the basket (I beleive) at one end. There is nothing on the far sideline for about 20ft until the stands begin. I'm not sure about the near sideline because of the camera view

rcwilco Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:07pm

Maybe she was trying to be thoughtful and make the towel available to the officals to wipe their sweat off.

Mark Dexter Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mnref
I've seen a few players go tumbling or slide right off into the cheerleaders.
I'm sure the players hate when that happens!

mnref Wed Mar 20, 2002 04:20pm

They do when it's the male cheerleaders that catch them!!

rainmaker Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mnref
They do when it's the male cheerleaders that catch them!!
Not the women players!!