The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Question

I was observing three co-officials on Friday night, and as I was letting them in the locker room at half, the home head coach and asst coach were referencing a Palm Pilot for foul statistics. I informed the officials in the locker room of my observation and they all declined to deal with it. Is this one of those things that we should not worry about? Does this device create an advantage for them? Will the rules committee eventually get the game into the 21st century with by waiving the electronic media rule? Would you enforce the rule?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BK on 02-13-2000 03:45 PM
...at half, the home head coach and asst coach were referencing a Palm Pilot for foul statistics. ... Is this one of those things that we should not worry about? Does this device create an advantage for them? Will the rules committee eventually get the game into the 21st century with by waiving the electronic media rule? Would you enforce the rule?

Interesting observation. Rule 10.1.3 says says that computers (of which I would classify a Palm Pilot IV as a type of computer) may not be used "(other than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission."

Since you seemed convinced they were using the Palm Pilot for "foul statistics," I would assume that such use would not be illegal; thus there was nothing for the crew to deal with in this particular situation. Any advantage gained by use of such device is one allowed by the exception in the rule.

From my own perspective, I don't see where use of "television monitoring or replay equipment or computers" during the half would be a terrible thing. I agree with the prohibition against use during a game (such as at timeouts and so forth because of additional equipment cluttering bench area, etc.), as well as the prohibition against the sound devices mentioned in 10.1.3 (megaphone, mechanical sounding devices, electronic transmission devises at courtside for coaching purposes, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players).

Would I enforce the rule? As the rule is currently stated, I would penalize a team if I had certain knowledge of their use of video replay during halftime or on the sideline during a game, or for any of the violations regarding the communication devices. It might be a little more difficult if they were using a digital notepad that allowed them to draw plays (a fancy whiteboard) or a handheld or laptop computer with animated plays already input to which they could refer during a timeout or which contained a ready reference to statistical data.

That's my 2 cents.