The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DrC. on 02-07-2000 11:41 AM
I gave team B, 2 shots and the ball. I then pointed the possession arrow team A. Was this Correct ??? I thought this would be the same as dunking during warm-ups...

(If you are going to make such a call at that level, which is debatable in and of itself, then. . .) You administered the shots, throw in, and possession arrow correctly. When the ball is placed at the disposal of Team B for the throw in at the division line opposite the scorers table, the possession arrow should then be set toward Team A.

(P.S.: Welcome to the board. It is a great place to keep up and stay on top.)

[This message has been edited by Rusty Gilbert (edited February 07, 2000).]
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

First of all, This is a great forum. I am a
rookie. Last Friday night, in a 7-8th grade rec league, Someone on team A showed up without the proper color shorts. The administrator of the program wanted a statement made and asked me to do something. I accessed the player a T. I gave team B, 2 shots and the ball. I then pointed the possession arrow team A. Was this Correct ??? I thought this would be the same as dunking during warm-ups...
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Sorry, but I disagree on the penalty. The color of the shorts is not addressed specifically within the rules, only shirts. Just advise the coach of the opposing team that there will be a difference in the color of the shorts and 'play-on'.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by b_silliman on 02-07-2000 01:08 PM
Sorry, but I disagree on the penalty. The color of the shorts is not addressed specifically within the rules, only shirts. Just advise the coach of the opposing team that there will be a difference in the color of the shorts and 'play-on'.

the player does not comply with the "uniform rules" and should be penalized as asked.

Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry guys, but 'b_silliman' is right.
There are no rules covering the color of the shorts, nothing says that they all have to be the same color. The only rules applying to shorts, are that they not be over the knee.
The shirts however are another story, there are many rules applied for them, but not for the shorts.

NO 'T', start the game with a jump ball.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Angry

Hellooooooooo!

Alright all you folks that think a "T" should be called.....reread the original post. Look at what Level we are talking about here. No "T".......have a little compassion....

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Pilo, lower level, no advantage, no call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
foxyref
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Ditto!! It's middle school! No big deal. A "T" comes under the catagory of nit picky. The kids are playing for fun and to learn. First things first: learn how to play, then at the higher levels everyone can dress the same.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to NBADreamer
Everyone who wants to jump on the "No T" bandwagon should reread the original statement first. The coordinator wanted it assessed to prove a point. Although shorts are not covered in the rules, I would not have known that as a first year official myself and would have gone by what the coordinator told me. Out of respect to the coordinator I would have obliged by giving the technical. Now that I know I would explain that the shorts aren't covered to the coordinator and toss it up.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Thumbs up

Excellent point NBADreamer. As an administration of a youth league, in our situation, uniforms are very important. We want total uniformity so that there is no psychological advantage (lots of inner city kids). Plus, our sponsor wants his uniforms displayed! If it was a league rule, the official should have enforced it--regardless of whether it was his first year or his 40th.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

I bet if a person was to check out the experience level with each persons reply they would find that the more experienced official is going to be more forgiving for the "wrong" shorts at the middle school level.

We've even had this discussion at our association meetings. If the kid has a number let him/her play. If the kid has the same number as his/her teammate, tape it up or list it as such in the scorebook. No "T"s, play ball, have fun.

Note to Rookies: If you don't want the "administrators" making your calls...learn the rules and come up with a philosophy of how you will call the game.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 02:37pm
In Memoriam

Wink

Last Friday night, in a 7-8th grade rec league, Someone on team A showed up without the proper color shorts. The administrator of the program wanted a statement made

I am guessing the Administrator had
his/her reasons, and ACTED COWARDLY to put you in a bad place. No reason he/she couldn't have told the Coach.
I think... SHOOT THE ADMINISTRATOR AND SAVE THE SHORTS.
mick