The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Lockdown

Can someone explain to me the logic of "locking down" in 3 person mechanics? I specifically refer to NFHS and NCAA mechanics where last second shots are judged by the official opposite the table. Some advocate no rotation for the last 30 seconds of each quarter/half, and others say the lead can move, but L's movement in that period doesn't dictate a rotation.

My question is plainly why? 3 person mechanics are designed to put the 3 officials in the best possible position to judge plays, yet we abandon them for the most crucial plays at the end of the game. Please, someone, explain the logic of doing so.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 01:38am
Do not give a damn!!

I think the logic is because people are afraid to have confusion on the last second shot. I personally do not agree with it, but that is how many like it. Personally I do not preach this or like to do this. I think you should rotate until the clock runs down.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
Can someone explain to me the logic of "locking down" in 3 person mechanics? I specifically refer to NFHS and NCAA mechanics where last second shots are judged by the official opposite the table. Some advocate no rotation for the last 30 seconds of each quarter/half, and others say the lead can move, but L's movement in that period doesn't dictate a rotation.

My question is plainly why? 3 person mechanics are designed to put the 3 officials in the best possible position to judge plays, yet we abandon them for the most crucial plays at the end of the game. Please, someone, explain the logic of doing so.
Many areas agree with you and have stopped locking down near the end of quarters. Mine is one such.

As I understand it from the more veteran officials, the lock down idea came from the fact that the C had last shot responsibility when the 3-man system was first instituted (and still does in NCAAW) so if the T and C were required to flex due to a rotation by the Lead confusion could ensue about which official had that responsibility thus possibly leading to no call at all or, worse yet, conflicting calls from two officials on a last second shot.

Therefore the lockdown established clearly which official was the C and thus was responsible for the call on a last second try, no matter if this person was tableside or opposite from the table, and that fact wouldn't change for the remainder of that period. It basically was done for clarity in the crew.

However, as you note with the refinement in the mechanic that the last second shot is handled by the outside official who is opposite from the table whether he happens to be the C or the T, it was already clear which individual should be making the call and yet the crew to continue to rotate and flex as normal. So the lockdown idea has become unnecessary, if the opposite table mechanic is used.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 09:43am
Esteemed Participant

I'm not sure why you would lockdown for the last 30 seconds...to the best of my knowledge that was never the NCAAW mechanic. We do lock down in the last 5 seconds - but the L is free to go where they need to go to ref. The "lockdown" simply tells us that we are locked in to the current C having the clock for last second shot responsibilities. Not really that big a deal. Can't speak for NCAAM or NFHS...
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
I'm not sure why you would lockdown for the last 30 seconds...to the best of my knowledge that was never the NCAAW mechanic. We do lock down in the last 5 seconds - but the L is free to go where they need to go to ref. The "lockdown" simply tells us that we are locked in to the current C having the clock for last second shot responsibilities. Not really that big a deal. Can't speak for NCAAM or NFHS...

rockyroad,
keep nail'em. Good explanation!!!
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I think the logic is because people are afraid to have confusion on the last second shot. I personally do not agree with it, but that is how many like it. Personally I do not preach this or like to do this. I think you should rotate until the clock runs down.

Peace
I agree with Rut. I think if we talk at the last time out, confusion on the last shot shouldn't happen. How hard is it to remember "opposite table" anyway?