The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 18, 2008, 09:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
So no more forcing the runner or receiver out of bounds?
Yep...receiver must get 2 feet down regardless of contact by defender. Exception will be made if defender physically carries receiver OOB.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
The NBA's moving of the throw-in to the 28ft line after a time-out is my number 1 least favorite rule now that the NFL has gotten rid of the force-out rule.

I was complaining to a D-League official about it and their explanation was that it's all about scoring. The fans want to see points.
Give me a call at work...
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
I bet someone posted this already, but on block charge plays under the basket, when an offensive foul is called i have had coaches yell " he was under the basket" implying the NBA semi circle is in affect.
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 09:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Revised Misunderstood Rules

I have taken Mark Padgett's suggestion, as well as the NFHS 2008-09 Rule Changes, to make the following changes to my list of Misunderstood Rules.

Thanks Mark Padgett.

9) A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

25) On free throws, there is a maximum of two offensive players and four defensive players in the six marked lane spaces. The defense must be in the first marked lane spaces on all free throws. The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower.

27) Players may not participate while wearing jewelry. Religious medals or medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must be taped and may be visible. Headbands and wristbands must be the predominant color of the jersey or white, black, or beige. When wearing headbands and/or wristbands, all players must wear the same color and wear the items as intended. Only a single item may be worn on the head and/or on each wrist. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow and be a maximum of four inches. A single headband, if worn, must be no wider than two inches. Rubber or cloth elastic bands may be used to control hair. Undershirts must be similar in color to the jersey and shall not have frayed or ragged edges. State associations may, on an individual basis, allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering, if it is worn for medical or religious reasons, provided that the covering is not abrasive, hard, or dangerous, and is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely to come off during play. Written documentation should be available.

Revised 5/11/08
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 01:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Due to the new rule on free throws, you're going to have to change the wording in your number 25 to have them line up beginning in the second marked lane spaces, not the first.
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 02:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Patience Is A Virtue ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Due to the new rule on free throws, you're going to have to change the wording in your number 25 to have them line up beginning in the second marked lane spaces, not the first.
Mark Padgett: Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same thing myself, but I'm going to wait until the actual NFHS wording comes out for the new 2008-09 rules. Will the bottom two spaces still be considered marked lane spaces? Will the second marked lane spaces really be the first marked lane spaces? Will the court diagram still have the bottom lane spaces with a line, a few feet from the endline, limiting the bottom lane spaces to three feet wide, as was added by rule many years ago, even though many courts don't have the lines; or will these lines be removed because players will not be occupying these areas?

Inquiring minds want to know, as soon as possible, but, as my friend Julius used to say, in the olden days, "Maxima enim patientia virtus".
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 03:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Inquiring minds want to know, as soon as possible, but, as my friend Julius used to say, in the olden days, "Maxima enim patientia virtus".
"Quare si mihi cura est". (loosely translated from Latin, this means "Ask me if I care" - that's all I remember from taking two years of Latin in HS and two years in college)