The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 11, 2000, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Team A has been fouled with 8 seconds left and a 2 point lead. Just for fun, how'd it turn out? Was there justice?
Old Fri Feb 11, 2000, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

I had some good advice passed to me a couple years ago. If we are under 15sec. of period, I count down to myself. I've never had to used this for a timing error yet.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2000, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Had the following happen in a Varisty Game last Friday night.

Team A leads by 5 with 16 seconds left and has not won a game all year. Team B (Home) is inbounding from the frontcourt baseline after a time-out. Ball comes inbounds, is passed to point, then passed to opposite corner where B1 takes 1 dribble, then shoots a three that hits nothing but net. A1 retrieves runs 2-3 steps on the baseline and inbounds to A2 who passes crosscourt to A3 who is immediately fouled. I look up after calling the foul and there is 10 seconds on the clock. The timer says he "forgot" to start the clock when B inbounded, but didn't stop it immediately when I blew the whislte to call the foul, A coach is livid, B coach thinks it's OK because time ran off the other end. I have no definite way of knowing how much time ran off but feel Team A has been screwed by a home court timer. I decide to take time off & reset to 8 seconds (clock does not have tenths).

I know this is not the way the book says to do it but feel it was the fair thing to do and would appreciate feedback.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2000, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I can understand how you feel, although unless you or your partner actually looked at the clock and had definite knowledge, I don't beleive you can take time off the clock. Even though the timer knew he messed up, odds are he doesn't know for sure how much time passed either.
I'd have to say leave the clock the way it was.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2000, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

You could ask the timer if he has definite knowledge as to how long he waited before starting the clock, but he probably doesn't know any more than you know. Unfortunate as it is, you shouldn't take any time off. I'd also make sure the timer understands that forgetting to START the clock does not permit a purposely "slow" STOPPING of the clock on the next whistle.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2000, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Not for nothin' but there isn't a person in the gym that can ever say you didn't have definite knowledge of how much time there should have been on the clock!! If you felt there should have been "x" seconds left then that is what you put on the clock.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Shouldn't let the records of the teams affect your judgement on this one.

If you agreed that the clock started late, I would have kept it at 8. From what you described. AT LEAST 8 seconds should have elapsed.

I would also not let a home team benefit from their scorer's mistake. I've told visiting coaches "I will not let you get screwed by a home team table's mistakes" and give them the benefit of a few more seconds.

I've told home team coaches "you have a legitimate beef, but it's with YOUR scorer, not me". More than likely, the scorer will get an earful from the coach, and not make that mistake again.

Tough situation, but sounds like you handled it properly!
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

The home team fouled on the ensuing inbound; foul number 7; shooter missed the front end of the one & one; home team rebounded & missed shot at horn.

Also, thank you for the comment about not worrying about records, I think I would have made the same decision regardless--but I did have some extra sympathy for the team that won, knowing they hadn't all year.