The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I mentioned that I was going to a tryout for the USBL and I just wanted to let you all (or y'all, depending on where you're from) know how it went.

There were "veterans" there as well as about 30 applicants. This was not only a tryout, but a mandatory interpretation meeting for the veterans. They had to be there for this year's rules changes. So the first hour was sort of a "business" meeting. Apparently, the officials in the northeast are not treated very well by the league. The game fee of $100 per official (3-man) has not increased in 6 seasons. Additionally, 2 seasons ago, the league unilaterally reduced the fee to $65 in midseason. Anyway, the officials are upset particuarly b/c officials in the western part of the country get more per game. The upshot of the whole hour's discussion was that there is some sentiment to organize all the league's officials for the purpose of a collective, uniform pay scale.

The second hour was a brief primer in NBA rules and mechanics. We took a 42-question test first, on which I did not do well. The interpretation discussion was very interesting and the officials who presented the information really knew their stuff. Some of it was very informative, but some of it was as basic as "We referee the defense in this league". Well, duh.

After a half-hour break, we got dressed and went to the gym. As I said, there were about 30 applicants and unfortunately, they were running a game on only one court. So to get 10 3-man crews out on the floor, we only got to work about 15 minutes each. That was it. Make a great impression and then you're done. To be honest, I was very disappointed in that part. Granted, it was good to sit and watch other guys work and listen to the experienced officials comment. But it was still disappointing.

About an hour or so into the floor work, the players took a break and the officials all went on the floor to talk about the responsiblilites of each position. That was pretty informative.

Then another hour of watching other guys work. And that was it. We'll hear in a week or so if we get a schedule or not.

Couple of notes:

Kareem Abdul-Jabaar is coaching one of the teams this year. His son was at the tryout and looks very good. He has a real '70's afro, too.

I have to agree with TH: the shirts are VERY ugly

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I am not sure if it is the same league but, last i heard some of the officials in this area did not get paid for all their games. One official who worked a lot of games lost a lot of $. Now its possible he may have since been paid.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Bart,
The league you are thinking about is the ABA.
Many officials as well as players and staff didn't
get paid.
Chuck,
Welcome to the world of minor league basketball
tryouts!
WHen I "tried out" for the IBL it was roughly the same thing.
And even worse was the ABA tryout.
I got a call from the "supervisor" saying he would like to
watch me work, but there was only one chance and it was
the upcoming weekend in L.A.
I told him that I had a College game that I wasn't giving up and gave me a B.S. story about how opportunities like this don't come around very often and if you don't take a risk, blah,blah,blah.
Needless to say I fell for it. Luckily I had a free ticket so I was able to book a plan at the last minute.
So I was in St. George, Utah reffing, left from there early in the a.m. on Saturday, drove to Las Vegas, caught a plane to L.A.
Went to the Gym, reffed for MAYBE 10 MINUTES!
Done!
A friend drove me back to the airport, caught a flight back to Las Vegas, drove home. All in one day!(Yeah I know, some body call the WAAAAHHHMBULANCE!)
Was "hired " as an alternate. Ultimately glad I didn't work because of the financial problems of the league.
Anyway, hope you catch on!
Drake

Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for commisserating, Drake. I don't feel so bad after hearing about your experience. But I'm not really too sure if I want to catch on, to be honest. The "business" section of the meeting did not leave me with a good impression of the experience. Additionally, the closest game sites to me are about 2.5 hours driving time each way. I'm not sure that's worth the $100 game check.

But it may all be irrelevant. Who knows if he'll ask me on board. I'll let you know if I hear anything, tho.

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 12:55pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Great read!

Thanks, Chuck.
Thanks, Drake.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Thanks for commisserating, Drake. I don't feel so bad after hearing about your experience. But I'm not really too sure if I want to catch on, to be honest. The "business" section of the meeting did not leave me with a good impression of the experience.
Could this impression have been given intentionally, to scare off some of the "young blood"?
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose that's possible, Juulie. If it was deceptive, it was very well-done. The supervisor of officials is an emplyee of the league, not of the officials. And he said that the league doesn't particularly care who its officials are. The phrase "seeing-eye dog" was used in describing acceptable officials. So I don't think that he has an interest in keeping out new officials. Especially since they all get paid the same thing.

The officials in the midwest part of the country basically turned back their schedules en masse before last season. So the league caved in a bit and increased their game fees.

But here in the northeast, the feeling is that if the officials did that, the league would simply say "OK, we've got all of NYC and New Jersey to choose from for new officials".

So in order to have any clout, the northeast officials need the backing of the midwestern and southern (Florida) officials. That would require organizing a union, I think. That may happen in the next year or so, I don't know.

All that is a long-winded way of saying that I don't think the situation was embellished to influence the incoming applicants. Obviously, I could be wrong, but I got the feeling that it was just an honest (and frustrated) appraisal by both the officials and the league's representative.

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

The USBL officials who walked out on games last year, were indeed replaced for those games. No big deal to the league.
If you can blow a whistle they figure it's all the same.
Whether leagues believe it or not, poor ref's can kill a league.
At least the IBL tried to put some experienced officals on the floor. The second year however, I worked several games with a guy who was just breaking into the HIGH SCHOOL
varsity ranks! We had a couple of situations, but got through.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
You are pretty accurate in your evaluation and assessments of what is going on there. Its very unfortunate that people are getting paid on different scales. Problem is, there are many officials out there who say they would pull out and turn their schedule in, but as I found out last season in that league its all "smoke and mirrors." Those officials say they will send their schedule in, but when it comes down to crunch time are merely waiting for the rest to turn their schedules in, hoping to pick up the turned in games themselves!!! It really is an unfortunate situation. Believe me when I say, I worked with several people last year that were clueless on how to referee a pro game and the rules that are involved. Not that I have mastered it, but I think the expectations are to at least know the basic rules that come up frequently in those games.

Anyway, good luck. The meeting here in Florida is in early April.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
Anyway, good luck. The meeting here in Florida is in early April.
Good luck to you too. I hope it goes well for you. I'm actually going to be in Orlando from April 10- 15. Unfortunately, Florida doesn't play their first home game until the 20th. Maybe I could squeeze in a pre-season game. Does the USBL run a pre-season schedule, or do the teams just practice until the regular season kicks off?

Chuck
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

From my previous experiences with the league, they do not play any preseason games.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Seeing Eye Dogs??

This astounds me: why would anyone want to work for a league supervisor who refers to competent officials as "seeing eye dogs?" If he says that to your face, what do you think he calls you behind your back to coaches, players, and other league personnel?
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Seeing Eye Dogs??

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
This astounds me: why would anyone want to work for a league supervisor who refers to competent officials as "seeing eye dogs?"
He wasn't calling the officials seeing-eye dogs. I'm sorry if I was unclear. His point was that the league would consider any official satisfactory in a pinch, even if the official needed a seeing-eye dog to get around. He wasn't calling us dogs, or calling us blind. He was only saying that even a blind referee would be ok with the league, as long as he wore stripes and a whistle.

Chuck