The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 11:00am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Gee, just as I was getting into my morning newspaper, The Oregonian, this Monday morning, I turn the page and staring me right in the face is a photo of our very own Ms. Juulie Downs (Rainmaker) in her OSAA stripes pointing a direction for an OOB play during a middle school game. (BTW - it went off blue, so it was white ball - you had it wrong...only kidding!)

Apparently, there is a recurring feature in the paper that describes the various exercise workouts of different people around the area and this article was about Juulie getting her workout by being a referee.

It was a very interesting piece and Juulie explained why she does it. Mostly, it's because it's cheaper than paying a gym.

Actually, Juulie gave some very good insight into the side benefits of officiating, mainly the conditioning and exercise, plus the fact that this type of exercise is not "mindless" like some other types are, despite what the Howler Monkeys think.

One question, though. In the article Juulie states she "doesn't smoke or drink coffee."

I didn't know you could smoke coffee. Juulie, please explain.

BTW- in the photo, Juulie looked babe-a-licious. OK, OK - I'm allowed one sexist comment per post. Hey - I did use "Ms." earlier in this post. See - I'm learning.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Mark,

Can you scan the picture and post it somewhere for the rest of us to see? Or is it already posted on the Oregonian's website somewhere?

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
BTW- in the photo, Juulie looked babe-a-licious.
Implying that, in real life, she doesn't look "babe-a-licious?"

You'll be in trouble for that remark, Mark.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Mark,

Can you scan the picture and post it somewhere for the rest of us to see? Or is it already posted on the Oregonian's website somewhere?
Chuck
No picture but here is the link to the story.

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/ore...5909610226.xml

I must say if I was a HM I would think twice about confronting a 5'11" 192 woman. - She is an inch taller than the Mrs. and they are the same weight an I would never argue with the Mrs.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
BTW- in the photo, Juulie looked babe-a-licious.
Implying that, in real life, she doesn't look "babe-a-licious?"

You'll be in trouble for that remark, Mark.

The picture IS very flattering, but don't worry, Mark. There is no definition of the word "babe-a-licious" that describes me in real life, and I know it. When my son saw the pic this morning, he said, "That doesn't look like you at all!" I'm hoping that certain coaches won't recognize me, either.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thanks for the link. Nice profile of Juulie. We need all the positive publicity we can get. Way to go, Juulie.

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One question, though. In the article Juulie states she "doesn't smoke or drink coffee."

I didn't know you could smoke coffee. Juulie, please explain.
Since I don't smoke coffee, I can't see that there's anything to explain. I also don't smoke cassette tapes, car mufflers, or term papers (I actually had a weird friend in college who tried this...). I don't think any of this needs explanation!
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

Angry Good article brought a bad memory.

jewel,
Very nice article. Udaman!

Attagirl!

Padgett's question of smoking coffee, reminded me of the "last time" (yes, I have done it more than once ) that I reached for that end of the party swig and drank some cigarettes.

mick
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Great article, thanks for posting the information.

Hey Julie, Way to go!
It is good to see some good press about a ref and you are a good example.

Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Hey, I just hit that web site and there is no picture. I want to know what at 45 yo 192 lb 5'11" woman looks like.

Seriously, at your hieight I bet you were a great ball player back when and your kids have a chance to be good ball players.

[Edited by Tim Roden on Mar 13th, 2002 at 10:11 PM]
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Hey, I just hit that web site and there is no picture. I want to know what at 45 yo 192 lb 5'11" woman looks like.
Ask the coach who lost his head last year and chested me up. It still baffles me what he was thinking -- I had at least 6 inches and 50 pounds on him. And my whistle for the ejection was about 4 centimeters from his ear.

Quote:

Seriously, at your hieight I bet you were a great ball player back when and your kids have a chance to be good ball players.
I suppose I might have been great, ir there had been girls basketball. I was back in the dark ages before a lot of schools had much in the way of women's athletics. My daughter could have been a pro if she had had the attitude for it -- but she didn't get her talent from me, she was adopted. My oldest son is NOT an athlete -- his choice. My second son could turn out great at any sport he tries -- we'll see if I can talk him into basketball. His current fad is soccer. So I think my only hope is my youngest -- who is only 3 right now. But his genes are a lot like the oldest boy, including diabetes.

All this to say that I think a dynasty is unlikely.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Cool

All this to say that I think a dynasty is unlikely. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh well, I had hoped that someone I knew (or at least posted on the same board with) would be rich and famous.