The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Question

High school varsity game under NCAA rules. Three-man mechanics. With about four minutes to play in a tight game, Team A with ball and shooter on the outside where the "rocker" is located. Lead is on the opposite side closest to bench. Team A player launches a three-pointer, with ball released, a whistle is heard from lead and hand goes up. Coach of team A had asked for a timeout.
The basket goes in!
What the crew did was count the basket and then allow Team A to have timeout.
Did they make the right call?

Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

ball was released prior to the whistle, then the whistle would be inadvertent score the basket and the timeout granted. if the ball was released after the whistle, then team A coach just shot hisself in the foot.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I am not convinced you would grant the TO. If you are going to say it is an inadvertent whistle then the coach does not have to take the TO. He could say sorry i change my mind. No possition, no TO. Now basket is made then he may request a TO.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 04:34pm
Administrator

I am not sure I understand the positioning of the officials. Please correct me if my assumptions are in correct.

My assumptions are L and T are table side and "rocker" means that A1 has the ball on the C's side of the court above the free throw line extended.

If these assumptions are correct, then T has his back to Team A's bench and L has a good look at Team A's bench in case Coach A requests a timeout.

If Coach A makes a request for a timeout while A1 has player control of the ball, then it does not matter if L's whistle is after A1 releases the ball. Coach A gets his timeout and the field goal attempt does not count. When the official sounds his whistle is not important in this play, what is important is when Coach A requested his timeout.

If Coach A made his request after A1 released his field goal attempt, then the L should have ignored Coach A's request for a timeout.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

I agree 100% Mark. We don't have the info concerning when the request was made. I assumed the request was after the release. However, now that i think about it, it does not make sense to assume the request was after the ball was released. Soooo, I believe the L should have came out waving off the basket. The other coach probably feels he got the short end. If the basket would have missed, your guess is as good as mine if they would have went with the arrow or would have said the TO was before the release.