The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 10, 2002, 10:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

It seems to be March Madness Month here in Oregon as not only the HS tournaments took place this weekend, but all the rec leagues are having their's over a 3-weekend period.

This afternoon, it was middle school boys and next week it is the HS rec tournament. I had both of the semis and the final for 6th grade boys today.

Second semi is tied with 45 seconds to go. A1 at the line to shoot 2. B1 violates. I have my arm out with my fist closed. A1 misses. I blow my whistle and my partner does the same. He yells, "timeout, white" (that's the non-shooting team). The kids run to their benches immediately. I calmly walk over to the scorer and blow my whistle. She looks up and I announce loudly, "There was a lane violation on the non-shooting team. Number 2 left his space after the shooter had the ball. When we come out of the timeout, we will reshoot the first shot."

Howler Monkey B rushes over to me and complains. He says, (I love this part) "You can't make that call this late. Your partner already called a timeout."

I must admit, that was a new one. I replied, "Coach, I indicated the violation when it occurred, I signaled it and we're going to enforce it. The fact that my partner called a timeout is irrelevant."

He says, "BULLPUCKEY!" (except he didn't say "puckey")

WHACK!

I then tell the scorer that the venue has a house rule that all technicals are two shots, the ball and an automatic two points for the other team and to add the points now.

HM-B says, "What kind of rule is that?" I hand him the rules (they are on each table at this place) and show him that section. It's as plain as the banana juice on his face.

He then says, "That's even worse bullpuckey!" Yep, you guessed it - he didn't say "puckey" this time either.

WHACK, part II. He has to retire to his cage and tire swing in the parking lot.

Anyway, team A gets 4 automatic points, makes the 2 free throws from the original foul and makes all 4 free throws from the two technicals, then they inbound and hit a 3.

Incredible - a 13 point play.

The only bad thing was that those kids on team B had to suffer because of the antics of an (and I use the term loosely) adult.

BTW - team A went on to the title game and won that by 9. They have a post player who is 6'4". And yes, he really is in 6th grade. Actually, he's quite good. If his family doesn't move and he doesn't get recruited by one of the private schools around here, he'll eventually go to Westview HS in Beaverton. Westview has a very strong program now and was in the state semis this year.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2002, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Mark -- It amazes me that a coach can get this far into a season in your league and still think he can win in a tangle against you. Where has he been?!?!
Old Tue Mar 12, 2002, 01:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Juulie - this was not "my" league, it was at your favorite former venue. The rule in the league where I am on the Board is that all profanity is considered flagrant, so he would have been gone with the first one.

And yes - all the coaches in "my" league know better by now. In fact, the second weekend of the season I had a brand new coach. He really didn't know me at all - yet. Early in the game, he got up to say something about a lane violation call I made and his assistant grabbed him, pulled him down then shook his head and told the coach to "fuggetaboudit". I heard the assistant say, "Don't argue with him. You can't win. He's always right. And I mean that - he's actually always right."

I just giggled.