Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Life is politics.
Your entire post is spot-on, but this is the most true statement of all.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you are complaining about politics and you are getting varsity games after only 3 years, do you consider your success political or based on talent? I could make the case that you have a buddy helping you out. If I were you I would be happy that you are even getting any varsity games. There are many officials it took longer to get those games.

Peace
Basketball is the worst for politics. Football (IHSA) is most guys are 60 with 30+ years in, but I think coaches have more control on who they see on their games than other sports.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Basketball is the worst for politics. Football (IHSA) is most guys are 60 with 30+ years in, but I think coaches have more control on who they see on their games than other sports.
There are more basketball officials than any other sport.

There are fewer slots available per game for officials.

I think Back in the Saddle hit the nail on the head. People use "politics" as an excuse because people are not willing to work within the system.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Politics is a reality in any organization in any part of life: work, school, dating, civic organizations, officiating, etc. I'm not talking about cloak and dagger stuff, back-stabbing others, stepping on people, or sleeping your way to the top. Though that does go on some places.

I'm talking about knowing how the "system" or "group dynamic" works, and using that knowledge to your advantage, to get into a particular group and move up within it.

The world is full of bitter people who steadfastly refuse to "get" that. You hear them whining about the "good old boy" system and how they're being held down. Most of them think too highly of their own opinions and skills to ever see that they're deficient in some area and THAT holds them back. They make sneering remarks about "sucking up" and how they'll never be one of "those guys." Really they're just unwilling to do what's needed to get positive attention from, and perhaps even build genuine friendships with, those who matter.

In my experience, people who consistently whine about "politics" either don't get how the system works, just don't like how the system works, are too lazy to work the system, believe the system simply owes them, or consider themselves "better" than the system. But all of them blame the system. It's so much easier than taking personal responsibility and making meaningful changes.

But that works to your advantage, if you're willing to work the system.

Life is politics.
Amen, BITS.

In ten years, I have never, EVER seen genuinely capable officials that weren't given opportunities if they sought them out - unless something was holding them back. Sometimes it was a flaw in their game, more often it was a flaw in their attitude.

Stop making excuses.

Start making changes.

Words to live by.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Here's the instructional sheet I got at camp.

You look great in those pictures Mark! It is always fun when you get asked to demonstrate something at a camp isn't it.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:01am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
You look great in those pictures Mark! It is always fun when you get asked to demonstrate something at a camp isn't it.
Yeah - but I should have been wearing my fishnets.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:20am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
What the hell is hopping?
A2 catches a ball with two feet on the floor. Without dribbling, A2 lifts both feet [hops] and lands to reset foot position before taking a shot.
Signal: Traveling
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
In ten years, I have never, EVER seen genuinely capable officials that weren't given opportunities if they sought them out - unless something was holding them back. Sometimes it was a flaw in their game, more often it was a flaw in their attitude.
I still remember the old assignor for my board back in CT. He came to watch & speak at one of the new-member clinics, and his biggest mantra was "cream rises." Politics of course exist, but the best referees are going to be the ones getting assigned to the best games.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I still remember the old assignor for my board back in CT. He came to watch & speak at one of the new-member clinics, and his biggest mantra was "cream rises." Politics of course exist, but the best referees are going to be the ones getting assigned to the best games.
le

You want to move up. Here's how you do it. Be reliable, work as many games as you can, know the rules, work on your mechanics, take the good with the bad. By that I mean if you agree to work a conference don't turn a game back just because it's hard to get to. If you agree to work a conference work the damn conference. If you have to turn a game back get a qualified replacement that the assignor knows and then call the assignor. Don't cancel at the last minute. If you're sick the day before and can't find a replacement drag your sorry *** to the game and do the best that you can. Join more than one associations and attend camps. Yes attend more than one camp each season. Are there old f**ks doing games they don't belong on. Of course there is. Just remember some day you'll be the old f**k.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
le

You want to move up. Here's how you do it. Be reliable, work as many games as you can, know the rules, work on your mechanics, take the good with the bad. By that I mean if you agree to work a conference don't turn a game back just because it's hard to get to. If you agree to work a conference work the damn conference. If you have to turn a game back get a qualified replacement that the assignor knows and then call the assignor. Don't cancel at the last minute. If you're sick the day before and can't find a replacement drag your sorry *** to the game and do the best that you can. Join more than one associations and attend camps. Yes attend more than one camp each season. Are there old f**ks doing games they don't belong on. Of course there is. Just remember some day you'll be the old f**k.
Why do you put asterisks in to spell folks?
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

In response to Back In The Saddle's self-serving diatribe in favor of the perpetual buddy club

What an absolute crock. I've been lurking for a long time, but this crock is so bad I had to remember my junk mail box name and register.

Playing good old boy politics is just an excuse for excluding people who are threatening, be it younger people, darker people or people of a different gender or orientation.

The fact is, ability should be paramount in assigning and promoting officials, not being pals. The only people who defend placing politics above ability are the people being protected by the politics. The fact is incompetent people who are buddies get favorable treatment because they are members of the buddy club.

Your answer is to join the buddy club.

Pathetic.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallIt
Playing good old boy politics is just an excuse for excluding people who are threatening, be it younger people, darker people or people of a different gender or orientation.

The fact is, ability should be paramount in assigning and promoting officials, not being pals. The only people who defend placing politics above ability are the people being protected by the politics. The fact is incompetent people who are buddies get favorable treatment because they are members of the buddy club.
I doubt BITS disagrees that ability should be paramount. He's simply stating that politics are always going to exist in any system so you have choices - you can either do your best to work within that system, or you can refuse to do so and try to change it. If you think a system is patently unfair, then don't work there or try to change it. But if it doesn't change to your benefit, you can be pissed about it, but that won't get you more games.

I thought BITS' statement was spot-on in that all systems exist for reasons - some good and some bad - and if you want to work the best and most games, the way to do that is to figure out how to work within that system.

If you simply can't because you believe it is immoral or unethical - more than just a PITA and less than fair - then work somewhere else or work to change it. But just *****ing about the "old boys club" won't get anything done but let you project your disappointment on someone else.

Most of these "buddy clubs" you talk about simply aren't as bad as you make them out to be. Do you often have to network and abide by rules? Yes. Is that bad? I don't see how.

I haven't been officiating a long time, and I've been exposed to a couple different setups. They each are different and they each have their own politics/challenges. But each system has one belief in common: officiating is about more than just calling the game. It's about being dependable, being cooperative and working well with your other officials. These are things that some call "politics." Many who understand this are simply tired of hearing the whining.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 08:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ah, gee, sounds like someone's bitter.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Ah, gee, sounds like someone's bitter.
These unemployed religious gun nuts need to lighten up.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 09:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
These unemployed religious gun nuts need to lighten up.
Guffaw!