LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
2008 March Madness - the REAL brackets

http://www.payscale.com/2008-march-m...htm?basketball
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 11:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

They should run these figures against the cost of living index for their respective locations. San Diego wouldn't have beat Drake by nearly as much, otherwise.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 11:28am
certified Hot Mom tester

If the brackets were originally determined by that criteria, the final would be between Harvard (Bill Gates' school - even though he dropped out) and Oregon (Phil Knight's alma mater). Those two would probably skew the numbers enough.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
They should run these figures against the cost of living index for their respective locations. San Diego wouldn't have beat Drake by nearly as much, otherwise.
That assumes that every Stanford grad finds a job in the bay area and every Drake grad finds a job in Des Moines, don't you agree? And look who came in second... I don't think South Bend is exactly a high cost of living place to live. CS Fullerton comes in near the bottom... Orange County CA is not the cheapest place to live in the country.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 11:45am
Archaic Power Monger

I went to the wrong school and/or picked the wrong career.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 11:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
That assumes that every Stanford grad finds a job in the bay area and every Drake grad finds a job in Des Moines, don't you agree? And look who came in second... I don't think South Bend is exactly a high cost of living place to live. CS Fullerton comes in near the bottom... Orange County CA is not the cheapest place to live in the country.
Not every grad, just a statistically significant percentage.

I think some universities are, by nature regional in that there grads are more likely to stay in the region because their students are more likely to come from that area. Drake is a high quality school, but I'd bet a higher percentage of their students can get to Mom and Dad within a 3 hour drive than Notre Dame, UCLA, Duke, Standford, etc.

California state schools are different due to their hierarchical nature. Cal Berkley has far more stringent entrance requirements than Fullerton, for example.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 12:01pm
Archaic Power Monger

Fullerton is a Cal State school whereas Berkeley is a University of California school. The UC system's requirements on paper are higher than the CSU schools. You are correct though that some are harder to get into than others. It is very hard to get into UC Berkeley or UCLA, and much easier to get into UC Santa Cruz. Then there are the high quality CSU schools such as Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo (Go Mustangs!) that are harder to get into than the lower tier UC schools.

What's my point? I have no idea, I just felt like talking about how wonderful California is.....or isn't.

On a side note, I am working about an hour north of Palo Alto (where Stanford is) and I started making about half of their median wages. I wonder if most of these jobs are in engineering, because I'm not sure what other entry level jobs would pay $100,000 for a new hire with just a bachelor's, even if it is from Stanford.

Last edited by Welpe; Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 12:04pm.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Lateesha's Beauty School had a play-in game against Devry. We will be back next year.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 12:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe

What's my point? I have no idea, I just felt like talking about how wonderful California is.....or isn't.
But we all know who would win if the brackets were based on "quality college" officials.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
If the brackets were originally determined by that criteria, the final would be between Harvard (Bill Gates' school - even though he dropped out) and Oregon (Phil Knight's alma mater). Those two would probably skew the numbers enough.

Not twue.......even though I got a C in statistics, I do remember that median is not an average just a middle point.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 01:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Lateesha's Beauty School had a play-in game against Devry. We will be back next year.
Keep an eye on ITT Technical...heard they had a great recruiting class this year.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 01:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Not twue.......even though I got a C in statistics, I do remember that median is not an average just a middle point.
They didn't teach me that at the Frankfort Undergraduate College of Kentucky. Good old FU....., well, never mind.

BTW - I wonder how hard it is to get into the on-line school from which my sister-in-law was able to obtain a PhD in theology for her dog? Now the dog is licensed to perform marriages here in Oregon! It's twue, it's twue.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Cool.

For the first time in tournament history, a #16 seed up-ended a #1 seed.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Yabut, if you're living in California, you're virtually guaranteed a ton of D-I games on your schedule. That has to raise the median income somehow.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2008, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn
Cool.

For the first time in men's tournament history, a #16 seed up-ended a #1 seed.
Fixed it.

FWIW, on the women's side, no 15 seed has ever upset a 2.