The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.92 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
The Nationals kick off the season tonight in their new ballpark. But the real start of the season -- Opening Day -- is tomorrow!!
Opening Day, Part III, perhaps?

Zimmerman had a heluva christening for the new park. Wish I could have been there for the game.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 06:16am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Opening Day, Part III, perhaps?

Zimmerman had a heluva christening for the new park. Wish I could have been there for the game.
Mark - I was at the Nats game last night. Great ending (after the stupid passed ball fiasco). Gorgeous park! Beautiful sight lines. You have to see the huge HD Video screen/scoreboard in person to believe it - amazing!! (yes, size matters )

Now, let's hope their level of play continues to hold out......wishful thinking?! Sure!
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 07:30am
In Memoriam

Opening Day in Detroit.
No bull pen.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Mark - I was at the Nats game last night. Great ending (after the stupid passed ball fiasco). Gorgeous park! Beautiful sight lines. You have to see the huge HD Video screen/scoreboard in person to believe it - amazing!! (yes, size matters )
The park did look great. I'm hoping to get down there in August. And it looked pretty big in the outfield. Some of the newer ballparks (Philly and Houston, for example) seem to be intentionally small for more home runs. Lots of foul territory, too, which is good for pitchers.

I saw -- on Sportscenter, I think -- the Washington players coming on to the field for the first time before the game and they were "oooooing" and "aaaahhhhing" like little kids. It was kind of fun to see that kind of reaction from multi-millionaires.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 09:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
The park did look great. I'm hoping to get down there in August. And it looked pretty big in the outfield. Some of the newer ballparks (Philly and Houston, for example) seem to be intentionally small for more home runs. Lots of foul territory, too, which is good for pitchers.

I saw -- on Sportscenter, I think -- the Washington players coming on to the field for the first time before the game and they were "oooooing" and "aaaahhhhing" like little kids. It was kind of fun to see that kind of reaction from multi-millionaires.
Too early to tell if it's a pitcher's/hitter's park yet. As you note, lots of room to roam in the outfield though, so the Nats may go for a speed/slap hitting team vs long ballers. Time will tell.

Hope you make a game. As someone who's been to a great many parks myself, this is very impressive and worth a trip.

PS - Don't drive! Park at the ole RFK, tail gate, and take the free bus!
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
PS - Don't drive! Park at the ole RFK, tail gate, and take the free bus!
How appropriate. Weren't the Kennedys famous for a type of "tail gating", or was that "tail chasing"? And you might consider "not driving" also as good advice for them, at least for the one who still hangs around Washington.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
How appropriate. Weren't the Kennedys famous for a type of "tail gating", or was that "tail chasing"? And you might consider "not driving" also as good advice for them, at least for the one who still hangs around Washington.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 01:40pm
In Memoriam

Cabrera just went downtown.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I do remember the Whiteowl wallop! And....I called my cousin who still lives in Chicago and he said Rivera was Looie's uncle, not his father-in-law and their age difference wasn't that great. That's makes more sense.
OK..............got the real poop. You and your cousin are oh fer two.

Looie married Jungle Jim's cousin.

Source: an author of several white sox history books.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 02:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Definitely, he should be wearing stripes.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Word for today: googely

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4256812.html
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

The Cubs started off the season in grand style. Both starting pitchers are outstanding and the game is scoreless heading into the ninth. The Cubs then send in Kerry Wood who surrenders three in the top of the inning, but miraculously get a three-run homer off Gagne in the bottom half to tie it up and force an extra inning.
Of course, the Cubs immediately give up another run in the 10th and lose 4-3.
The Cubs are off to their usual start.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I had hoped to get tickets and drive in for the game, but I couldn't get through on tickets.com before they sold out. As a poor grad student, I wasn't about to pay $150/seat.

Quote:
Now, let's hope their level of play continues to hold out......wishful thinking?! Sure!
Probably. I've been saying that Opening Day will be the only time you'll see the Nats two games above .500 and the Devil Rays at the top of the AL East.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 07:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
OK..............got the real poop. You and your cousin are oh fer two.

Looie married Jungle Jim's cousin.

Source: an author of several white sox history books.
Hey - Jim was his uncle, his cousin, his father-in-law and his brother. They were from South Venezuela.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

More par for the course for the Cubs

Cubs' Zambrano leaves opener with cramp in right forearm

Associated Press

Updated: March 31, 2008, 7:14 PM ET

CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs ace Carlos Zambrano left Monday's opener against the Milwaukee Brewers in the seventh inning with a cramp in his right forearm, right after making a pickoff throw to second base.Milwaukee's Bill Hall hit a one-out double in the seventh, right after Zambrano made a catch of Ryan Braun's popup near the mound and had his feet cut out from under him by sliding Cubs' first baseman Derrek Lee.
Zambrano was not injured on that play. But minutes later, he picked Hall off second base and then grabbed at his right hand. A trainer came to the mound and minutes later, Carlos Marmol replaced Zambrano.
The Cubs lost 4-3 in 10 innings.