The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

ChuckElias Fri Nov 21, 2008 04:17pm

Control over the Yankees organization passes to George Steinbrenner's youngest son, Hal. Hank says he's ok with it. Anybody want to bet otherwise? :D

Mussina retires with 270 wins. Any consideration for the Hall of Fame? He's just a little short of the "magic" number. Does he have a shot?

BillyMac Fri Nov 21, 2008 09:27pm

The Moose ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias (Post 552317)
Mussina retires with 270 wins. Any consideration for the Hall of Fame? He's just a little short of the "magic" number. Does he have a shot?

Yes: 270-153. Every eligible pitcher at least 100 games over .500 is in the Hall. Among top five in ERA 8 times, wins 7 times, strikeouts 5 times. Finished with 20 win season and 7th Gold Glove.

No: No Cy Young Award. Never won 20 games in prime. As you already stated, short of "magic" 300 wins.

I can't believe that I'm talking baseball in November. It's 25 degrees outside.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 22, 2008 03:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 552365)
Yes: 270-153. Every eligible pitcher at least 100 games over .500 is in the Hall. Among top five in ERA 8 times, wins 7 times, strikeouts 5 times. Finished with 20 win season and 7th Gold Glove.

No: No Cy Young Award. Never won 20 games in prime. As you already stated, short of "magic" 300 wins.

I can't believe that I'm talking baseball in November. It's 25 degrees outside.

I don't believe that he was ever on a World Series champion either.

I say no HOF.

ScrappyDeux Sat Nov 22, 2008 06:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias (Post 552317)
1) Control over the Yankees organization passes to George Steinbrenner's youngest son, Hal. Hank says he's ok with it. Anybody want to bet otherwise? :D

2) Mussina retires with 270 wins. Any consideration for the Hall of Fame? He's just a little short of the "magic" number. Does he have a shot?

1) One runs finance...one runs <i>beisbol</i>. Their main qualification is being a member of the Lucky Sperm Club anyway.

2) It's the Hall of <b>Fame</b>, not the Hall of Above Average. Of course, the mitigating factor for Mussina might be that he won his 270 in the Steroid Era, and was generally considered to be one of the "clean" pitchers while doing so. That might be a big factor come voting time in 5 years. It might get him in, while a 'roid monkey like Clemens gets ignored.

grunewar Sat Nov 22, 2008 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappyDeux (Post 552423)
1)2) It's the Hall of <b>Fame</b>, not the Hall of Above Average.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 552413)
I don't believe that he was ever on a World Series champion either.

I say no HOF.

Agree. I'm a Moose fan. Saw him pitch often (pre-Nats era). Good guy. The kind sports really NEEDS to represent them now. Above avg - absolutely. But, not once was he the BEST pitcher in the league.

First rounder? Probably not. Eventually make it? Probably. There's so much $ out there and so many injuries, these numbers will get fewer and further away.....

ChuckElias Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:53am

Sox give AL MVP Dustin Pedroia a huge long-term deal: 6-years, $40.5 million.

Yanks offer arbitration to exactly nobody.

just another ref Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias (Post 555373)
Sox give AL MVP Dustin Pedroia a huge long-term deal: 6-years, $40.5 million.

Yanks offer arbitration to exactly nobody.

ESPN guy Rob Parker ? says it was selfish of Pedroia to sign for such a paltry amount. :eek: Says this amount is not worthy of an MVP and will cheapen offers for others in a similar position in the future.

Adam Thu Dec 04, 2008 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 555391)
ESPN guy Rob Parker ? says it was selfish of Pedroia to sign for such a paltry amount. :eek: Says this amount is not worthy of an MVP and will cheapen offers for others in a similar position in the future.

Who's Rob Parker? Former player by chance?

just another ref Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 555479)
Who's Rob Parker? Former player by chance?

Sports writer for the Detroit News. One of the guy's on ESPN First Take that takes turns sparring with Skip Bayless, sometimes known as Skip Clueless.

grunewar Fri Dec 05, 2008 06:19am

In this day and age, with our current economy, my heart truly bleeds for someone "only" making $40.5 million over 6 years........if they can't live on that for a while, tell em all to go get a job! "Cheapen the offers of others" who follow....sheesh! :mad:

grunewar Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:50pm

Greg Maddux has thrown his last pitch.

"The four-time Cy Young winner will announce his retirement Monday.

Greg Maddux spent 12 years of his 19-year career with the Atlanta Braves, where he won three of his four straight NL Cy Young Awards from 1992-95. He finishes with a record of 355-227 and a career ERA of 3.16.

.... earned a record 18 Gold Gloves while with the Chicago Cubs, Atlanta, Dodgers and Padres."

.....Maddux helped the Braves win division titles for more than a decade, and they won their lone World Series championship there in 1995."

Now - these kind of numbers will make it difficult for Moose to get the votes on the same ballot.

Adam Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:58pm

The Tribune Company is considering bankruptcy, apparently. Might drive the price of the Cubs down a bit.

mbyron Mon Dec 08, 2008 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 556381)
"The four-time Cy Young winner will announce his retirement Monday.

Greg Maddux spent 12 years of his 19-year career with the Atlanta Braves, where he won three of his four straight NL Cy Young Awards from 1992-95. He finishes with a record of 355-227 and a career ERA of 3.16.

Maddux is great. I love to watch him pitch.

Anyone like to guess the other pitcher was who had 15+ wins each of the 5 seasons between 1995-99?

JugglingReferee Mon Dec 08, 2008 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 556447)
Maddux is great. I love to watch him pitch.

Anyone like to guess the other pitcher was who had 15+ wins each of the 5 seasons between 1995-99?

Another Braves pitcher? It seems like that team was always in the news for their pitching in the recent past.

mbyron Mon Dec 08, 2008 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 556473)
Another Braves pitcher? It seems like that team was always in the news for their pitching in the recent past.

Not Braves. Not even NL. :rolleyes: