The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.92 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Tough one last night, Mick. You hate to lose after you play that long.

Sox finally scored some runs for Beckett last night. In his 8 losses, the Sox have scored a total of 10 runs while he was still in the game. So it was nice to get a little lead for him.

Rays also won again, though, so their lead is still 3 games. Long way to go yet, tho.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 10:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Tough one last night, Mick. You hate to lose after you play that long.
Maybe, the Tigers are getting used to it.
Most games lost in MLB after leading by x runs after 6.
Most games lost in MLB after leading by y runs after 7.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

David Ortiz hits 2 3-run HRs in the first inning to help Sox to a 10-0 lead over the Rangers after 1 inning.

Fast forward to the top of the 6th. . . Rangers now lead 15-14. I'm gonna barf.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Source: Tigers put disgruntled Sheffield on waivers

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3532016
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 09:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
David Ortiz hits 2 3-run HRs in the first inning to help Sox to a 10-0 lead over the Rangers after 1 inning.

Fast forward to the top of the 6th. . . Rangers now lead 15-14. I'm gonna barf.
That's pretty okay for Ortiz.
But the Rangers can be nasty.

Sheffield talks to Boston Globe on Sunday.
Leyland talks to Sheffield on Monday.
Sheffield hit 2 home runs tonight.
Even a .224 DH has a good day.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Man, that was nerve-wracking. After Pedroia hit the double to score Ellsbury to tie it in the 8th, I knew the pitcher was going to throw a mistake to Youk. He was steamin'. Youk made him pay. Whew!! First time in a month that the Sox have gained ground on the Rays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Source: Tigers put disgruntled Sheffield on waivers

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3532016
With Crawford out, and now Longoria out, is there any scuttlebutt about Tampa Bay grabbing him?
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Man, that was nerve-wracking. After Pedroia hit the double to score Ellsbury to tie it in the 8th, I knew the pitcher was going to throw a mistake to Youk. He was steamin'. Youk made him pay. Whew!! First time in a month that the Sox have gained ground on the Rays.

With Crawford out, and now Longoria out, is there any scuttlebutt about Tampa Bay grabbing him?
I'm not sure how the waiver thing works, but isn't there a time period where another team can claim Shef, then Detroit would have to trade him to that particular team within certain guidelines? Or, if no team claims him, then Shef is free to try and hook up with whoever he wants? Or, does it depend on the phase of the moon? Sheesh.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
1) isn't there a time period where another team can claim Shef, then Detroit would have to trade him to that particular team within certain guidelines?

2) Or, if no team claims him, then Shef is free to try and hook up with whoever he wants?
I'm not 100% sure either, but from Boston's experience with Manny a couple years ago, I have some guesses.

1) If another team claims him, then that team owns his contract straight-out, I believe. There's no trade necessary. They would have to pay him whatever salary he's due and assume any option clauses, etc. I think this is why nobody bothered claiming Manny back then. Nobody (except the Yankees) could give him his $20 million.

2) If no team claims him, then his contract returns to Detroit as if nothing happened. Again, this is what happened in the Manny situation. He went on the waiver wire, nobody claimed him, and he stayed with the Sox.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 09:02am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb waiver scoop

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Good find, mick. I guess that's why you get paid the big bucks on this forum.

It would be interesting to read the entire binder they mention, because I've always wondered about some of the little-known rules. I know there was a mention one time during a game about a player that couldn't be sent back down to the minors because they had used up their "allotment" of trips. I don't know if that's per season, or per contract. But since he had, the club was now limited in what they can do with him. I guess that might explain a lot of the deals that happen - it's probably a lot to do with specific contracts, number of times a player has been sent to the minors, whether they are on a team's 40-man roster or not, whether they have a certain number of years in the league, etc. and not a simple "this player has the specific talent we need". I guess that's why GM's get paid almost as much as mick - they have to understand all the rules involved, as well as the talent involved.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Sox take another one from Texas, and got a real good outing from Lester. Unfortunately, they gain no ground since the Rays also won in Oakland.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Heard an interesting tidbit last night during the Cubs/Braves game. Mark Kotsay of the Braves hit for the cycle, but it's only the second time in Braves history a player hit for the cycle, and the first time since Albert Hall did it back in 1987, almost 21 years ago. I know hitting for the cycle isn't an everyday occurance, but I didn't think it was that rare.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 02:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Sox take another one from Texas
What are you talking about? The Sox didn't play Texas, they played Kansas City. Oh, wait! You're talking about those other Sox - the ones that aren't in first place.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Oh, wait! You're talking about those other Sox
Sorry. Should've been more specific. The Sox whose manager doesn't perpetually have his foot in his mouth. The WORLD SERIES CHAMPION Red Sox. Those Sox.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 04:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I was thinking about the possible WS matchups that are presenting themselves at this point in the season.

Milwaukee vs Tampa Bay. The NL's Bad News Bears verses the AL's "What the He!! are we doing here?"

Boston vs LA Dodgers. The rematch of the NBA finals; along with the sure-to-be-entertaining Manny playing against his old mates. Odds are Manny gets thrown out at first by the right fielder at least once.

LA Dodgers vs LA Angels at Anaheim (talk about a stupid name). The LA series.

White Sox vs Cubs. Chicago series.