The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

grunewar Fri Apr 18, 2008 06:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
WOW!!

Let's play 2 1/2!

Colorado and San Diego did just that Thursday night and into Friday morning, slogging through a 22-inning game that was the longest in the majors in nearly 15 years.

The Rockies finally won 2-1, with Troy Tulowitzki's two-out RBI double bringing in Willy Taveras with an unearned run in nearly empty Petco Park. A game that lasted 6 hours, 16 minutes was decided by an unearned run.

Can you imagine how many fans and vendors were actually in the stadium at games end? ARGH!!!! A long day for everyone!!! :eek:

BLydic Fri Apr 18, 2008 07:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
Bad Tiger! Bad Tiger !!
Go back downstairs !

:)

Adam Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:28am

Quote:

WOW!!

Let's play 2 1/2!

Colorado and San Diego did just that Thursday night and into Friday morning, slogging through a 22-inning game that was the longest in the majors in nearly 15 years.

The Rockies finally won 2-1, with Troy Tulowitzki's two-out RBI double bringing in Willy Taveras with an unearned run in nearly empty Petco Park. A game that lasted 6 hours, 16 minutes was decided by an unearned run.

Holy Cow!
Scoreless through 13 innings, both teams get a run in the 14th. No more runs for another 8 innings. It's like three shutouts were pitched.

Dan_ref Sun Apr 20, 2008 07:10pm

We all know that so far Yankee hitting has sucked almost as badly as Yankee pitching. Today a rare but not unheard of religious ceremony was held at Yankee Stadium to derail this trend, aparrently it worked.

NY beat Balt 7 -1 in a game that was almost rained out twice.

Dominus Vobiscum.
Et cum spiritu tuo.

mick Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:23pm

Okay!
Tigers by 13.
Pistons by 17.
:)

JugglingReferee Thu Apr 24, 2008 07:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
We all know that so far Yankee hitting has sucked almost as badly as Yankee pitching. Today a rare but not unheard of religious ceremony was held at Yankee Stadium to derail this trend, aparrently it worked.

NY beat Balt 7 -1 in a game that was almost rained out twice.

Dominus Vobiscum.
Et cum spiritu tuo.

Είστε Ρωμαίος καθολικοί?

Glória tibi, Dómine!

M&M Guy Thu Apr 24, 2008 08:30am

Just in case no one caught it last night, my Cubbies won franchise victory number 10,000 in Colorado. Only one other team in baseball history, the (NY/San Francisco) Giants, have won that many games. They did it in dramatic fashion, coming from behind and winning in extra innings.

And, to top it off, both the White Sox and Cardinals lost last night as well. Good night overall. :)

Jurassic Referee Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Just in case no one caught it last night, my Cubbies won franchise victory number 10,000 in Colorado.

And a hundred years ago, they actually won a World Series too.

M&M Guy Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And a hundred years ago, they actually won a World Series too.

So, um, how many franchise victories does the Evil Empire have? (Today, not 100 years ago...)

Jurassic Referee Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:31am

Quote:

So, um, how many franchise victories does the Evil Empire have? (Today, not 100 years ago...)

Really couldn't tell ya.....

I can tell you that as of today though, the Yankees have won 26 World Series. The next closest team, the Cards, have won 10. The BoSox are in fourth place with 7. Your beloved Cubs have won two(2), count 'em ..two(2) World Series, tying such venerable clubs as the Marlins and the Blue Jays....and you had a 70 or 80- year start on both of those clubs from your last Worlds championship.

Look at the bright side. You're still ahead of Milwaukee.:D

M&M Guy Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:37am

Quote:

Really couldn't tell ya.....

I can tell you that as of today though, the Yankees have won 26 World Series. The next closest team, the Cards, have won 10. The BoSox are in fourth place with 7. Your beloved Cubs have won two(2), count 'em ..two(2) World Series, tying such venerable clubs as the Marlins and the Blue Jays....and you had a 70 or 80- year start on both of those clubs from your last Worlds championship.

Sigh...you're always living in the past. How many of those championships have the Yankees won <B>this year</B>? That's what I thought...exact same number as the Cubs. And Tampa Bay, come to think of it.

(Padgett only wishes he could have some of the meds I appear to be on.)

ChuckElias Sat Apr 26, 2008 08:03am

Quote:

And Tampa Bay, come to think of it.

Speaking of Tampa Bay, after losing the last 2 to the Angels, the Sox lose last night in extra innings to Tampa Bay. I'm so freakin' bitter! :mad:

tjones1 Sat Apr 26, 2008 09:42am

Quote:

Speaking of Tampa Bay, after losing the last 2 to the Angels, the Sox lose last night in extra innings to Tampa Bay. I'm so freakin' bitter! :mad:

Not as bitter as me and the Redbirds go to the Top of the 9th leading 2-0 and give up three runs. THEN if that wasn't enough, they get a runner on third with 1 out and can't score him. Grrrrrrr :mad:

Dan_ref Mon Apr 28, 2008 05:58pm

Here's an interesting link:

http://www.tmz.com/2007/07/23/mindy-...does-it-again/

Now you're asking what does this off-topic link have to do with the off-topic baseball thread and why does this bitter repulsive excuse for a human being have to clog the internet and this forum with such trivial tedious nonsense...well I'll tell you what it has to do with the off-topic baseball thread...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,3975882.story

So there. I hope I was able to overcome your repulsion (loosely paraphrased from The Pirates of Penzance of course).

ChuckElias Tue Apr 29, 2008 07:27am

Barry Zito (0-6 in April) gets demoted to the bullpen. Ouch. That's a lot of money to kiss away for the Giants.

Sox try to break a 5 game losing streak tonight against Roy Halliday. He's struggled a little this season, so I'm hoping he doesn't snap out of it tonight against Lester.

Rays are tied for first in the division 25 games into the season. Unbelievable.

fullor30 Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:23pm

Padgett.........

Today is leetle Looie's 70th birthday.

Slickest shortstop I've ever seen.

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 29, 2008 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Padgett.........

Today is leetle Looie's 70th birthday.

Slickest shortstop I've ever seen.

He was truly a magician out there in the infield. When I was in little league (actually, it was just a league our park district sponsored - we never had "real" Little League were I lived) I alternated between shortstop (mostly) and pitcher. For some reason I can't remember, I had two gloves. One was an Aparicio autographed Wilson and the other was a Don Larson Spaulding. I would change them depending on which position I played that game. I remember when I first got the Wilson, "breaking in" the pocket by putting a ball in the pocket, tying the glove tightly with twine and putting it under my mattress at night for a few nights.

Ah, memories of childhood.

fullor30 Tue Apr 29, 2008 03:52pm

I know the Nellie Fox glove was the A2000, I think Looie's was the A2002

fullor30 Tue Apr 29, 2008 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
He was truly a magician out there in the infield. When I was in little league (actually, it was just a league our park district sponsored - we never had "real" Little League were I lived) I alternated between shortstop (mostly) and pitcher. For some reason I can't remember, I had two gloves. One was an Aparicio autographed Wilson and the other was a Don Larson Spaulding. I would change them depending on which position I played that game. I remember when I first got the Wilson, "breaking in" the pocket by putting a ball in the pocket, tying the glove tightly with twine and putting it under my mattress at night for a few nights.

Ah, memories of childhood.

Hey, I found your glove.........

http://www.jedi404.com/aparicoglstore.jpg

Nevadaref Tue Apr 29, 2008 04:50pm

Quote:

Barry Zito (0-6 in April) gets demoted to the bullpen. Ouch. That's a lot of money to kiss away for the Giants.

Sox try to break a 5 game losing streak tonight against Roy Halliday. He's struggled a little this season, so I'm hoping he doesn't snap out of it tonight against Lester.

Rays are tied for first in the division 25 games into the season. Unbelievable.

The Libertarian essayist is pitching against the Red Sox? :eek:
How embarrassing it will be should they lose! :p

http://royhalliday.home.mindspring.com/ROYHOME.HTM

Dan_ref Tue Apr 29, 2008 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The Libertarian essayist is pitching against the Red Sox? :eek:
How embarrassing it will be should they lose! :p

http://royhalliday.home.mindspring.com/ROYHOME.HTM

Here's a first.... someone even more annoying than Chuck.

Nevadaref Tue Apr 29, 2008 07:16pm

Quote:

Here's a first.... someone even more annoying than Chuck.

What have you got against Libertarians? :D

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 29, 2008 07:23pm

Quote:

I know the Nellie Fox glove was the A2000, I think Looie's was the A2002

I thought the A2000 didn't have an autograph. I had a friend whose dad worked for Wilson. He had one of the first ones.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 29, 2008 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
What have you got against Libertarians? :D

Nothing.... anybody who would dedicate their life to mastering the dewey decimal system is just OK with me.

ChuckElias Tue Apr 29, 2008 09:10pm

Quote:

Nothing.... anybody who would dedicate their life to mastering the dewey decimal system is just OK with me.

LOL!! :D

Sox snap the 5-game losing streak (and a 7-game losing streak to Toronto) with a 1-0 win in the bottom of the ninth. Lester and HallAday both pitched extremely well. A couple of interesting decisions by Francona in the bottom of the ninth (leaving Crisp in to lead off, not pinch-running for Ortiz), but it all worked out when Vernon Wells bobbled Youkalis' base hit allowing Big Papi to score the winning run without a throw. Whew!

And the Yanks are losing 6-2 at the moment. . .

JugglingReferee Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:10pm

Quote:

LOL!! :D

Sox snap the 5-game losing streak (and a 7-game losing streak to Toronto) with a 1-0 win in the bottom of the ninth. Lester and HallAday both pitched extremely well. A couple of interesting decisions by Francona in the bottom of the ninth (leaving Crisp in to lead off, not pinch-running for Ortiz), but it all worked out when Vernon Wells bobbled Youkalis' base hit allowing Big Papi to score the winning run without a throw. Whew!

And the Yanks are losing 6-2 at the moment. . .

Chuck,

I don't think that Roy is Dutch or some other ethnicity where they capitalize a letter other than the first letter of the surname. Isn't it "Halladay"? :D :eek:

grunewar Wed Apr 30, 2008 06:49am

....and the Orioles remain atop the American League East for another day.....with a cleanup hitter batting .222 or .247 depending on the order......and the leading hitter on the team is a journeyman, batting a whopping .298. Say it isn't so?

And it won't be for long.....but hey, we can enjoy it early in the yr can't we? ;)

Now, about those Nats.....

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 07:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Chuck,

I don't think that Roy is Dutch or some other ethnicity where they capitalize a letter other than the first letter of the surname. Isn't it "Halladay"? :D :eek:

Yes, it is. But I incorrectly spelled it "Halliday" in a previous post and Nevada noted the mistake. So I just wanted to emphasize the correct spelling for those who are trying to steal my title of Mr. Annoying Spelling Guy. :)

Yanks got close, but still lost 6-4. ARod goes on the DL with a quad injury.

fullor30 Wed Apr 30, 2008 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I thought the A2000 didn't have an autograph. I had a friend whose dad worked for Wilson. He had one of the first ones.

I think your right. A friend of mine had one of the first ones, pro model, they were pretty sweet. His Dad was connected in sports. Wilson is based in Chicago.

Always wanted one. In fact, I'm due for a new glove. Mine was found floating in a creek last summer. it never recovered.

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 08:56am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkPadgett
I had two gloves. One was an Aparicio autographed Wilson and the other was a Don Larson Spaulding

.Hey, I found your glove.........

How hard could it be to find? :confused: Didn't they just leave their gloves out on the field by their positions when Mark played? :D

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 09:05am

Quote:

How hard could it be to find? :confused: Didn't they just leave their gloves out on the field by their positions when Mark played? :D

Yep, but it took an archeologist to find it all these years later. It was left in the field and time buried it.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 30, 2008 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Yep, but it took an archeologist to find it all these years later. It was left in the field and time buried it.

Insert uncalled for comment about JR's sex drive here.

edit... I just realized that this post may be mean spirited. My apologies if I've offended the repulsive old goat.

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:36am

Quote:

True. I used to trip over them all the time. BTW - I remember witnessing a bareknuckle brawl between James Naismith and Abner Doubleday over who could copyright the term "National".

George Halas won. :p

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 02:48pm

Good news, bad news.

The good news is that I'm not the only one who hates the corporate sponsor names for stadiums, and in fact, one such stadium is getting its real name back:

Quote:

Candlestick Park finally got its good name back Friday.

After two much-criticized naming rights agreements with corporate sponsors over the past 12 years, the San Francisco 49ers formally announced their aging stadium will be known as Candlestick Park for the rest of its days.

Shortly after the Bay Area maker of electronic cables bought naming rights in 2004 for an estimated $1.5 million annually, San Francisco voters passed a proposition severely restricting the team's ability to resell the naming rights when the deal with Monster Cable expired.
The bad news is that the people who agree with me are San Francisco voters!! :eek:

But that won't keep me from calling the Hoosier Dome, Jacobs Field and SkyDome by their real names. Next, we have to come up with "real" names for all the new ballparks that were given corporate names from their beginnings.

First up, DJ's Mariners. Got a non-corporate suggestion, DJ?

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 02:52pm

Quote:

First up, DJ's Mariners. Got a non-corporate suggestion, DJ?

How about Dishrag Park? It's always damp...

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:00pm

You gonna rename Wrigley, too?

I laughed when I saw that even Mile High became "INVESCO Field at Mile High."

I don't mind the trend; although it created quite a dilemma for Astros officials when Enron turned itself into the poster child for corporate malfeasance.

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:02pm

Quote:

I gotta chew on that one a while.

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:14pm

Quote:

No, Wrigley was named after a person. Obviously, the person's name was also used for the company that he owned, but it seems ok to me since there was a real person named Wrigley. (Like Busch, or Ford.)

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:21pm

Quote:

No, Wrigley was named after a person. Obviously, the person's name was also used for the company that he owned, but it seems ok to me since there was a real person named Wrigley. (Like Busch, or Ford.)

Or Coors.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:23pm

Quote:

So if Monster Cable actually bought the 49'ers you would be fine with Monster Cable Park?

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:25pm

Quote:

So if Monster Cable actually bought the 49'ers you would be fine with Monster Cable Park?

:confused:

Only if Monster Cable is named after Mr. Monster. My point was not that the stadium is named after a company, but that both the stadium and the company were named after an actual person.

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:26pm

Quote:

Is the owner of the company named Monster? :confused:

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:27pm

Dang it, Chuck - you type too fast.

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:27pm

Quote:

I would.

Maybe politicians could get into the mix as well. Given how quickly some of these parks change names, we may as well.

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:30pm

Quote:

Dang it, Chuck - you type too fast.

Well, when I just KNOW that Dan's gonna have to chime in, I stick around to see it. :D

Dan_ref Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:30pm

Quote:

Only if Monster Cable is named after Mr. Monster. My point was not that the stadium is named after a company, but that both the stadium and the company were named after an actual person.

Welll... Yankee Stadium is named after a company, not an actual person.

And so on.

What if Jimmy Dean Sausages bought the 49'ers? You OK with Jimmy Dean Park?

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:31pm

Quote:

What if it's a company that is no longer owned (or run) by its name sake and they buy a new team and rename the stadium?

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:43pm

Quote:

This is actually a good point and one that I'd thought of, but forgot in my haste to annoy you.

Naming the stadium after the team is fine, of course. Yankee Stadium, Oriole Park and Dodger Stadium are all ok, obviously. Naming after a person or location is ok. I'm sure there are other things that we could include, but the main thing is to EXCLUDE purely corporate names.

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:45pm

Quote:

And so on.

What if Jimmy Dean Sausages bought the 49'ers? You OK with Jimmy Dean Park?

Or, what if some pimp named Chan bought the team in L.A. - he could rename it Chan Ho Park.

<font size=1>(I'm starting to see this veer way off track...)</font size>

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:46pm

Quote:

Or, what if some pimp named Chan bought the team in L.A. - he could rename it Chan Ho Park.

Careful, that guy named after the Sports Bureau might get mad at you for going off topic in this off topic thread.

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:48pm

Is DJ actually teaching class or something today? Why hasn't he chimed in on this critical issue?

How about Landes Field?

Bertha Knight Landes, elected mayor of Seattle in 1926, became the first woman to lead a major American city. (http://www.historylink.org/essays/ou...m?file_id=5343) She only served one term, but she's certainly culturally significant in Seattle.

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:52pm

Quote:

Is DJ actually teaching class or something today? Why hasn't he chimed in on this critical issue?

I've noticed he hasn't been very approachable lately.

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:52pm

Quote:

Whaa?? We're not doing a good enough job for him?!?

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 04:00pm

Quote:

I've noticed he hasn't been very approachable lately.

You seem bitter about that. . .

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 04:03pm

Quote:

You seem bitter about that. . .

Sorry, my inner Dan is showing.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 30, 2008 04:27pm

Quote:

Naming the stadium after the team is fine, of course. Yankee Stadium, Oriole Park and Dodger Stadium are all ok, obviously. Naming after a person or location is ok. I'm sure there are other things that we could include, but the main thing is to EXCLUDE purely corporate names.

Ahhh... so you're basically an anti-capitalist commie pinko tree-hugger that wants to place corporate wealth in the hands of the government.

Don't come crying to me when they rename Fenway Park Hillary Clinton Stadium (both are associated with a swamp so it is appropriate I suppose)

Quote:

Clever but borders on the repulsive.

Quote:

Sorry, my inner Dan is showing.

It's that type of mean spritediness that drives people away fom here.

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 04:29pm

Quote:

It's that type of mean spritediness that drives people away fom here.

I'd make fun of this or disagree with it, but I have no idea what the muck it feans.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 30, 2008 04:35pm

Quote:

I'd make fun of this or disagree with it, but I have no idea what the muck it feans.

Neither do I, I stole it from the other thread. :shrug:

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 05:01pm

Quote:

Ahhh... so you're basically an anti-capitalist commie pinko tree-hugger that wants to place corporate wealth in the hands of the government.

That's obvious - everyone in San Francisco agrees with him.

<font size=1>(Oops, there's that mean-spirited, repulsive, borderline humorous side of me showing again.)</font size>

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 05:04pm

Quote:

That's obvious - everyone in San Francisco agrees with him.

<font size=1>(Oops, there's that mean-spirited, repulsive, borderline humorous side of me showing again.)</font size>

Tooting your own horn again, M&M?

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 05:06pm

Quote:

Tooting your own horn again, M&M?

Nope, that's what Dan said.

And I certainly believe <font size=1>(almost)</font size> anything he tells me.

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 05:09pm

Quote:

Nope, that's what Dan said.

And I certainly believe <font size=1>(almost)</font size> anything he tells me.

Oh! Well that's different. Carry on, then.

mick Wed Apr 30, 2008 09:28pm

Tigers are only 2 games under .500 :)

ChuckElias Thu May 01, 2008 07:14am

Quote:

Tigers are only 2 games under .500 :)

Yeah, baby, b/c they beat up on the Yanks again last night. Sox got another walk-off win, too.

And how 'bout them Cubbies? :eek: 19 runs last night and tied for first. . .

mick Thu May 01, 2008 07:33am

Quote:

Yeah, baby, b/c they beat up on the Yanks again last night. Sox got another walk-off win, too.

And how 'bout them Cubbies? :eek: 19 runs last night and tied for first. . .

Against the Cubs, Jeff Suppan (1-1) may have given up 11 in 3-2/3, but only 8 were earned. :cool:

mick Fri May 02, 2008 07:09am

1966 - Year of last Series sweep for the Tigers in Yankee stadium.

Jurassic Referee Fri May 02, 2008 07:12am

Quote:

1966 - Year of last Series sweep for the Tigers in Yankee stadium.

http://www.gifs.net/other/crit_suc.gif

ChuckElias Fri May 02, 2008 08:05am

Sox lose, getting shut out. Their hitting is just not real good right now. They scored 3 runs in 3 games against Toronto, and were pretty lucky to win the first 2. Now we get Tampa Bay at home for 3 games to battle for first place supremacy of the division!!!

That just seems wrong, but to be honest, I'm actually really happy for the Rays. They've been horrible since their inception, they play in a corporate-named mausoleum of a dome (we'll have to come up with a new name for the Trop), and it's nice to see them doing well this far into the season. Having said that, I hope the Sox sweep them, just to get even for the last series.

And I knew it was too early to worry about Leyland and those Tigers.

M&M Guy Fri May 02, 2008 10:12am

I caught a portion of a replay of the Sox game from last night, but did I see a vague resemblance to the famous 1972 USA/USSR basketball game?

Apparently Crisp flew out to end the game with a runner on. But, wait! We can't have that, not in Beantown! An umpire had ruled a balk on the Toronto pitcher, and the last out doesn't really happen! (Insert obligitory Toronto manager ejection here.) Then, Crisp singles to keep the game alive! The tying run indeed comes to the plate! Can Boston score that "layup" to win after the "do-over"?!

Nope. Last is out is made, and the Toronto shutout is preserved. (Must not have had any Soviet-born umpires out there.)

(Ok, so it's Friday, and I need a weekend real bad.)

Dan_ref Fri May 02, 2008 10:32am

Quote:

I caught a portion of a replay of the Sox game from last night, but did I see a vague resemblance to the famous 1972 USA/USSR basketball game?

Apparently Crisp flew out to end the game with a runner on. But, wait! We can't have that, not in Beantown! An umpire had ruled a balk on the Toronto pitcher, and the last out doesn't really happen! (Insert obligitory Toronto manager ejection here.) Then, Crisp singles to keep the game alive! The tying run indeed comes to the plate! Can Boston score that "layup" to win after the "do-over"?!

Nope. Last is out is made, and the Toronto shutout is preserved. (Must not have had any Soviet-born umpires out there.)

(Ok, so it's Friday, and I need a weekend real bad.)

So you're saying that even with the umpires giving 127% to help the home team the sawx couldn't pull out a win.

M&M Guy Fri May 02, 2008 10:35am

Quote:

So you're saying that even with the umpires giving 127% to help the home team the sawx couldn't pull out a win.

Yep - I agree with you 103%.

Adam Fri May 02, 2008 12:41pm

Quote:

Yep - I agree with you 103%.

Brown noser.

M&M Guy Fri May 02, 2008 01:56pm

Quote:

Brown noser.

I have to do what I can to get ahead.

Adam Fri May 02, 2008 02:58pm

Quote:

I have to do what I can to get ahead.

I'm told that's a good attitude to have.

ChuckElias Mon May 05, 2008 07:17am

Sox return the favor by completing a 3-game sweep the Rays yesterday. Lester got the win, but he threw a ton of pitches in only 6 innings. He looked shaky early, but only gave up one run. Kazmir took the loss for the Rays. I think they said it was his first start of the year, after being the DL.

Early candidate for the "What Was I Thinking" award: Dusty Baker. Cincinnati is horrible. Why leave a cushy studio job for the Reds? Bronson Arroyo, who looked so promising in Boston, is now 1-4. I haven't seen him pitch, so I don't know if he's throwing well and not getting support, or if he's just breaking down already. That would be too bad.

mick Wed May 07, 2008 08:21pm

Mike Lowell factoid

While watching the Red Sox in Detroit, the Tiger announcers [Mario Impemba and Rod Allen are really fine baseball fans without rules problems] mentioned that Red Sox captain and third baseman, Mike Lowell, has the highest fielding percentage for a third baseman in the history of the game. :)

Edit: I knew. I called it! Lowell hit a 3 run homerun to tie the game. The man is a Tiger killer.

Jurassic Referee Thu May 08, 2008 07:29am

Quote:

Edit: I knew. I called it! Lowell hit a 3 run homerun to tie the game. The man is a Tiger killer.

All's well that end's well.:)

mick Thu May 08, 2008 07:39am

Quote:

All's well that end's well.:)

I hear that was Papelbon's first blown save in 11 tries this year. :cool:

CoachP Thu May 08, 2008 09:36am

Quote:

I hear that was Papelbon's first blown save in 11 tries this year. :cool:

..and how did he "really" blow it??
  • An "oopsie" check swing infield hit.
  • An error on Lugo (another weak grounder)
  • A Sac bunt.
  • Another ground out.
  • A broken bat single barely into left

What more can you ask of a closer? But I'll take it!!!

mick Thu May 08, 2008 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP
..and how did he "really" blow it??
  • An "oopsie" check swing infield hit.
  • An error on Lugo (another weak grounder)
  • A Sac bunt.
  • Another ground out.
  • A broken bat single barely into left
What more can you ask of a closer? But I'll take it!!!

Meant to be wasn't it, CoachP ?

I wonder if the Red Sox defense pumped him up
in any of his other chances. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/al...smiley-005.gif

grunewar Thu May 08, 2008 07:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar
Yeah, break up the O's! Nevada - I'll be right over to put all my $$$ on them to win the World Series! :D

PS - I'm an O's follower from way, way back.....now, just suffering over the great (sarc) decisions of the beloved owner Mr. Angelos and his team of experts! :( Now, those of us from N VA also get to suffer with the Nats too......we expect another long season.....

And now, a few short weeks into the season, the O's and Nats have now settled into their customary positions in the basement of their respective divisions.....and all is right with the world..........or atleast this corner of it. :rolleyes:

ChuckElias Sun May 11, 2008 07:13am

Greg Maddux becomes the ninth pitcher to reach 350 wins.

Dice-K goes to 6-0. Papelbon gets the save, after blowing his last 2 chances. (And Youkalis is on fire.)

Johan Santana finally gets his first home win for the Mets.

Jurassic Referee Sun May 11, 2008 08:09am

Quote:

And <font color = red>Youkalis</font> is on fire.

Who?:confused:

ChuckElias Sun May 11, 2008 08:27am

Quote:

Who?:confused:

With the Yankees' pitching, and the team at .500, and a lunatic owner, I can see how an "a" instead of an "i" would be the thing that you want to talk about. :p

Jurassic Referee Sun May 11, 2008 11:25am

Quote:

With the Yankees' pitching, and the team at .500, and a lunatic owner, I can see how an "a" instead of an "i" would be the thing that you want to talk about. :p

Help is on the way. Carl Pavano should be off the DL by mid-August.

Dan_ref Sun May 11, 2008 04:17pm

Quote:

Yeah, it's already Mother's Day & the Yanks are floundering at .500. Time to panic, fire everyone in sight and get this thing on the right track. Before we know it it will be Memorial Day fergawdsake.

(Seems you have a bit of the lunatic owner in you too.)

ChuckElias Sun May 11, 2008 07:49pm

Quote:

Yeah, it's already Mother's Day & the Yanks are floundering at .500. Time to panic, fire everyone in sight and get this thing on the right track. Before we know it it will be Memorial Day fergawdsake.

In the immortal words of Dr. Peter Venkman: "You are a legitimate phenomenon". You have an amazing gift for completely misconstruing and then exaggerating my comments. I never mentioned panic, I never said to fire anybody. I merely said that the Yankees' pitching and overall record might be a less desirable topic of conversation for the old dinosaur than picking on my choice of vowels. Perhaps your own insecurities are showing in your comments. :p

BTW, Wakefield is getting hammered early tonight. :(

Jurassic Referee Sun May 11, 2008 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniMe
You have an amazing gift for completely misconstruing and then exaggerating my comments.

I merely said that the Yankees' pitching and overall record might be a less desirable topic of conversation for the old dinosaur than picking on my choice of vowels.

Choice of vowels? Geeze, talk about yer misconstruing and exaggerating.:rolleyes:

I merely pointed out to the <i>uber</i>-BoSox fanboy that he doesn't even know how to spell the name of one of his heroes....which I found mildly amusing....and he then gets all pissy with me.

No wonder Dan and your dog don't like you.

mick Sun May 11, 2008 09:49pm

Quote:

I still hope for .500.

Adam Sun May 11, 2008 10:07pm

Quote:

Choice of vowels? Geeze, talk about yer misconstruing and exaggerating.:rolleyes:

I merely pointed out to the <i>uber</i>-BoSox fanboy that he doesn't even know how to spell the name of one of his heroes....which I found mildly amusing....and he then gets all pissy with me.

No wonder Dan and your dog don't like you.

I'm trying to figure out of this is a helpful post or not. Can we have a poll?

Jurassic Referee Mon May 12, 2008 04:38am

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out of this is a helpful post or not. Can we have a poll?

Geeze, get over it. A little constructive criticism of your personal shortcomings should be helpful. But what do you do? You pout and sulk about it like a ....Rocky.

No wonder Dan and Chuck's dog don't like you either.

Dan_ref Mon May 12, 2008 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screwy Squirrel
In the immortal words of Dr. Peter Venkman: "You are a legitimate phenomenon". You have an amazing gift for completely misconstruing and then exaggerating my comments. I never mentioned panic, I never said to fire anybody.

Then you agree with me that being at .500 on Mother's Day is not even worth mentioning let alone discussing. Good, this will give you an opportunity to shut up now, won't it?

(not that you'll take it, being a lunatic and all)

Adam Mon May 12, 2008 08:55am

Quote:

Geeze, get over it. A little constructive criticism of your personal shortcomings should be helpful. But what do you do? You pout and sulk about it like a ....Rocky.

No wonder Dan and Chuck's dog don't like you either.

You know, if I was Dan, I'd say this is mean spirited.
If I was Chuck, I'd disappear into thin air only to start two threads a year and add the occasional reminder that the Yankees are currently trailing the Devil Rays.
If I was Rocky, I'd think you didn't like me.
If I was BITS, I'd do a cost-benefit analysis of the board.
If I was MTD, this post would be much longer.
If I was M&M, I'd do a poll to find out how to respond.
But, I'm too happy to care.

mick Mon May 12, 2008 09:03am

Quote:

But, I'm too happy to care.

Happy is one of the seven dwarfs in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Happy is a very fat, jolly fellow, with a bubbly personality.

Jurassic Referee Mon May 12, 2008 09:36am

Quote:

Happy is one of the seven dwarfs in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Chuck and Rocky are members too. Rocky is the one that can't get along with anybody....and Chuck is the the one that's always trying to hump Snow White's leg.

It's true, it's true......

Adam Mon May 12, 2008 09:42am

Quote:

Happy is one of the seven dwarfs in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Happy is a very fat, jolly fellow, with a bubbly personality.

I believe Jurassic had a role in that. There's some debate about whether he played Grumpy or the Witch.

Jurassic Referee Mon May 12, 2008 09:42am

And <i>apropos</i> to absolutely nuthin'.....

From Norman Chad's column this morning.....

Take any number....double it.....add 10....divide by 2....subtract the original number.....and your answer is always gonna be 5.

Jurassic Referee Mon May 12, 2008 09:44am

Quote:

I believe Jurassic had a role in that. There's some debate about whether he played Grumpy or the Witch.

I'm waaaaaay too tall to be one of the dwarfs. The cross-dressing role kinda appeals to me though.

Can I be a Queen instead of a witch?

Adam Mon May 12, 2008 09:49am

Quote:

Can I be a Queen instead of a witch?

Sure, what ever you want, sweat heart. It's usually the same role in these fairy tales.

M&M Guy Mon May 12, 2008 10:04am

Which dwarf is Chuck?

Is Jurassic a better queen or witch?

How happy is Snaqs?

Did Dan ever have hair?

So many polls, so little time... My head hurts; I wonder if it's from trying to figure out which poll to post, or from standing on my head all weekend.

At least my Cubbies are back in first, while the two other contending teams in the division both demoted their closers. Life is good (for now). :)