The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

mick Thu Apr 03, 2008 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Geeze Mick. 0-3 and they haven't played a Major League team yet....:p

...Looking for .500. Now they need a *three*. :)
And now, they need *four*....

ChuckElias Fri Apr 04, 2008 09:12pm

Good news, bad news. . .

Good news is that J. D. Drew shows some signs of life early in the seaosn, hitting a 3-run shot to tie the game. Bad news is that the Sox bullpen gives away the game against the Jays.

Good news is that the Bruins clinched a playoff spot tonight. Bad news is that they'll get bounced badly in the first round.

In other news, the Yanks give up 5 runs in the 3rd and then give up a touchdown and the extra point in the 8th inning. Yankee starter Ian Kennedy only went 2 1/3 against the Rays. Ouch.

Tigers are winless. Sorry, Mick!

mick Fri Apr 04, 2008 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Good news, bad news. . .

Tigers are winless. Sorry, Mick!

That all right, Chuck.
I ain't playin' or payin'.

Jurassic Referee Sat Apr 05, 2008 06:07am

Quote:

Good news, bad news. . .

Good news is that J. D. Drew shows some signs of life early in the season, hitting a 3-run shot to tie the game. Bad news is that J. D. Drew will be on the DL tomorrow.

Fixed it for ya.......

Dan_ref Sat Apr 05, 2008 09:20am

Quote:

Sox win, Yanks lose. Here's to many more such evenings in the next 6 months. :)

I'm sure there will be many such evenings over the next 6 months.

I'm also sure there will be many more when it goes the other way.

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 06, 2008 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I'm sure there will be many such evenings over the next 6 months.

I'm also sure there will be many more when it goes the other way.

A quick look at the latest standings show the Yankees being a mere 1 1/2 games out of first in their division, while the BoSox are running fifth and dead last.

What goes around, comes around.

Nevadaref Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:56pm

Quote:

A quick look at the latest standings show the Yankees being a mere 1 1/2 games out of first in their division, while the BoSox are running fifth and dead last.

What goes around, comes around.

And look who is in first!!!

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="ysprow1" align="right"><td align="left"> Baltimore Orioles</td> <td>4</td> <td>1</td> <td>.800</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow2" align="right"> <td align="left"> Toronto Blue Jays</td> <td>4</td> <td>2</td> <td>.667</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow1" align="right"> <td align="left"> Tampa Bay Rays</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> <td>.600</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow2" align="right"> <td align="left"> New York Yankees</td> <td>3</td> <td>3</td> <td>.500</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow1" align="right"> <td align="left"> Boston Red Sox</td> <td>3</td> <td>4</td> <td>.429</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

grunewar Mon Apr 07, 2008 05:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
And look who is in first!!!

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="ysprow1" align="right"><td align="left"> Baltimore Orioles</td> <td>4</td> <td>1</td> <td>.800</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow2" align="right"> <td align="left"> Toronto Blue Jays</td> <td>4</td> <td>2</td> <td>.667</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow1" align="right"> <td align="left"> Tampa Bay Rays</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> <td>.600</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow2" align="right"> <td align="left"> New York Yankees</td> <td>3</td> <td>3</td> <td>.500</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow1" align="right"> <td align="left"> Boston Red Sox</td> <td>3</td> <td>4</td> <td>.429</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Yeah, break up the O's! Nevada - I'll be right over to put all my $$$ on them to win the World Series! :D

PS - I'm an O's follower from way, way back.....now, just suffering over the great (sarc) decisions of the beloved owner Mr. Angelos and his team of experts! :( Now, those of us from N VA also get to suffer with the Nats too......we expect another long season.....

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar
PS - I'm an O's follower from way, way back

I'm an O's hater from way, way back - ever since they "stole" my idol, Luis Aparicio, away from the White Sox. I think the day that happened, I actually cried.

If I remember correctly (and there's certainly no guarantee of that), the O's got "Leedle Looey" and Al Smith in return for Pete Ward, Hoyt Wilhelm, Dave Nicholson and Ron Hanson. In those days, you really couldn't find more of a contrast at shortstop as between Aparicio and Hanson, especially in height. Ward and Wilhelm performed well but Nicholson was one of those guys who either hit the ball totally over the left field roof or struck out swinging. Most of the time (in fact, almost all of the time) he struck out. Smith was most noted for a famous photo of him playing outfield in the '59 World Series and getting a beer dumped on his head by a fan.

mick Mon Apr 07, 2008 01:41pm

How 'bout those Tigers ?
[From Detnews.com]
A look at how the Tigers finished in recent years after similarly poor starts:
<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Year </TD><TD>First 6 games </TD><TD>Finish </TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>?</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>42-119</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>55-106</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2000</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>79-83</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>1999</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>69-92</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>1998</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>65-97</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Next, tomorrow in Fenway and the tall green wall.

Jurassic Referee Mon Apr 07, 2008 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
How 'bout those Tigers ?
[From Detnews.com]
A look at how the Tigers finished in recent years after similarly poor starts:
<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Year </TD><TD>First 6 games </TD><TD>Finish </TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>?</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>42-119</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>55-106</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2000</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>79-83</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>1999</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>69-92</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>1998</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>65-97</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Next, tomorrow in Fenway and the tall green wall.

Iirc, about 10/11 years ago the Yankees had a similar start. Everybody was calling for Joe Torre's head. The Yanks went on to win 114 games that year.

Beisbol get serious around the first of September each year. Way too early for "doom and gloom". :)

dblref Mon Apr 07, 2008 02:53pm

Oh, yeah. Redsux are where they belong -- on the bottom. Think I might drink a toast to that tonight.

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 07, 2008 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblref
Oh, yeah. Redsux are where they belong -- on the bottom. Think I might drink a toast to that tonight.

How do you drink toast? :confused:

Adam Mon Apr 07, 2008 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

Lots of butter.

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 07, 2008 07:20pm

Ozzie Guillen gets tossed in home opener.....

.....but the White Sox win anyway on Joe Crede's grand slam. Five in a row for the Good Guys.

Dan_ref Mon Apr 07, 2008 07:25pm

Quote:

How do you turn drink a toast into drinking toast?

ChuckElias Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:35am

Sox home opener and ring ceremony this afternoon. This is supposed to be an ALCS preview, according to a lot of writers, but it's not looking like it at the moment. Dice-K vs. "The Gambler".

So what happened to Jeter last night?

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 08, 2008 08:50am

Quote:

So what happened to Jeter last night?

Strained quad.....maybe a week.

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:34am

Quote:

How do you turn drink a toast into drinking toast?

Oh - I thought it was "drink'a toast". You know, like Pauly Walnuts would have said it.

grunewar Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:48am

Quote:

I'm an O's hater from way, way back - ever since they "stole" my idol, Luis Aparicio, away from the White Sox. I think the day that happened, I actually cried.

As noted here many times Mark, you go back further than most of us......:D

As a follower, I can only go back as far as the 60's with the O's - the days of Robinson, Robinson, Powell, Bumbry, Belanger, Blair, Buford, Hendricks, Palmer, McNally, Quellar, etc.

After yrs of stellar attendance the O's got 10K in Camden Yards the other night...... shame - great venue to watch a game!

ChuckElias Tue Apr 08, 2008 01:10pm

Great pre-game ceremonies today. Patriots, Bruins and Celtics players from the past were there. Everybody came out to get his ring, Johnny Pesky raised the championship banner in center field, Bill Buckner threw out the first pitch to Dwight Evans. Buckner got a HUGE ovation, not a single "boo" that made it to the microphones.

And Dice-K walks to the mound. . .

:)

dblref Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:40pm

Quote:

Easy, just put it in the glass with the beer. ;) You guys in the great Pacific Northwest need to get out more.

dblref Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:42pm

Quote:

Great pre-game ceremonies today. Patriots, Bruins and Celtics players from the past were there. Everybody came out to get his ring, Johnny Pesky raised the championship banner in center field, Bill Buckner threw out the first pitch to Dwight Evans. Buckner got a HUGE ovation, not a single "boo" that made it to the microphones.

And Dice-K walks to the mound. . .

:)

Were the Patriots there to film the preceedings?

ChuckElias Fri Apr 11, 2008 05:19pm

Sox/Yanks, Part 1, starts in less than an hour! :)

(Sorry about the M's in Tampa Bay. Ouch! :( ESPN's Page 2 had "rejected T-Shirt slogans" and the Tampa Bay slogan was "Last Chance to Make Fun of Us!")

Jurassic Referee Fri Apr 11, 2008 05:34pm

Quote:

1) Sox/Yanks, Part 1, starts in less than an hour!

2) Sorry about the M's in Tampa Bay.

1) Yup, and I gotta watch it on NESN. Don't get YES on my dish. Gonna have to mute the sound.:)

2) What do you expect? JJ Putz is on the DL. They're a shell of a team without him.

M&M Guy Fri Apr 11, 2008 06:13pm

So, Chuck, how did you get the pass to get into the new stadium construction site?

(I assume you had somethin' to do with the buried shirt?...)

Dan_ref Fri Apr 11, 2008 09:42pm

You take the good wih the bad.

Miss USA is being hosted by Donny & Marie Osmond, Donald Trump has a front row seat & is in full pout and one of the judges is more effeminate than any of the contestants... but it seems to be a man.

On the good side... NY wins 4-1 on a 2 hitter by chin-min-poly-woly-ding-dong wong.

edit - they just named the top 5. Who knew there was so much silicon on planet earth??

Jurassic Referee Fri Apr 11, 2008 09:48pm

Quote:

On the good side... NY wins 4-1 on a 2 hitter by chin-min-poly-woly-ding-dong wong.

Complete game too. That's almost as rare as the Cubbies winning anything meaningful.

Lcubed48 Sat Apr 12, 2008 07:55am

Quote:

That's almost as rare as the Cubbies winning anything meaningful.

AMEN!!!

I didn't say it or even think it, but I did enjoyed it.

Lcubed48 Sat Apr 12, 2008 08:03am

Quote:

That's almost as rare as the Cubbies winning anything meaningful.

And now this bit of news.

Alou says he wouldn't have caught Bartman ball.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...?urn=mlb,74816

Mark Dexter Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:17pm

Fox Saturday Baseball

So I realize that today's Yanks-Sox game went long because of the rain delay and that the end of the baseball game cut into the beginning of Fox's NASCAR coverage.

That said, they decided to cut away with the Yankees trailing by 1 in the top of the 9th - 2 outs and a full count on Cano. (At least they switched it over to FX, which I frantically scrambled to locate on my TV.) I realize that Joe Buck has no clue about what makes interesting baseball, but I would think that the director in the truck might know.

canuckrefguy Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:18pm

Nascar....

And you guys give me a hard time for watching hockey....

;)

BLydic Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:36pm

I was watching the Masters.

Go Tribe!

JRutledge Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
Nascar....

And you guys give me a hard time for watching hockey....

;)

I would give you a hard time if you watch NASCAR too.

Peace

canuckrefguy Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge

Peace

LOL :D

ChuckElias Sun Apr 13, 2008 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
That said, they decided to cut away with the Yankees trailing by 1 in the top of the 9th - 2 outs and a full count on Cano. (At least they switched it over to FX, which I frantically scrambled to locate on my TV.)

Bet you're glad you found it! :D Pap's looking good. Papi -- not so much :( Manny's shot was huge though, and he took the minimum time allowed by law to admire it. He had himself a nice game.

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 13, 2008 08:21am

Quote:

Manny's shot was huge though, and he took the minimum time allowed by law to admire it. He had himself a nice game.

Men on second and third....first base open.... you've got one of the all-time greatest hitters up there... a guy who homered in his last AB.....your pitcher can't overpower a L'il Leaguer.....and you pitch to Manny instead of Kevin Freaking Youkillis?

Whatinthehell was Girardi thinking of?

ChuckElias Sun Apr 13, 2008 08:39am

Quote:

you pitch to Manny instead of Kevin Freaking Youkillis?

Whatinthehell was Girardi thinking of?

Obviously, he was scared of Youk! :D

Seriously, maybe he was thinking, "It's only April. Let's see if the old geezer can actually gut it out in a tough spot." Maybe he was hoping to learn something about Mussina for later in the season.

Mark Dexter Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:00am

Quote:

Bet you're glad you found it! :D Pap's looking good. Papi -- not so much :( Manny's shot was huge though, and he took the minimum time allowed by law to admire it. He had himself a nice game.

I was following along on GameCast and counted at least two times where Ellsbury and Pedroia got on base, then Ortiz came to the plate and made an out. It's maddening to see.

At least Giambi isn't doing much better.

Dan_ref Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:20am

Quote:

Peace

If they ran the nascar events on a hockey rink... now THAT would be worth watching.

Dan_ref Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:23am

Quote:

Maybe he was hoping to learn something about Mussina for later in the season.

Yeah good point. After all, Moose is still such an unknown quantity, it's gotta be tough for an old hand like Girardi to figure out how to use him.

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:07pm

Quote:

Seriously, maybe he was thinking, "It's only April. Let's see if the old geezer can actually gut it out in a tough spot." Maybe he was hoping to learn something about Mussina for later in the season.

Yup, him and Grady Little.....

Hell, everybody in <i>beisbol</i> has got the book on Mussina. He's a .500 pitcher....a junkballer with an 86 mph fast ball. Once you've got 5 innings out of him, anything else is a bonus. Sure, you know he'll <b>gut</b> it out. The odds are that he ain't gonna be getting the Manny's of the world out though while doing so.

You don't let Manny bat in that situation with Kevin Freaking Youkillis hitting behind him.

canuckrefguy Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:51pm

Quote:

If they ran the nascar events on a hockey rink... now THAT would be worth watching.

They have that at the Olympics - it's called short-track speed skating.

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 13, 2008 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
So, Chuck, how did you get the pass to get into the new stadium construction site?

(I assume you had somethin' to do with the buried shirt?...)

This just in.....

The BoSox shirt that was buried has been found, dug up and is going to be auctioned off for charity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3344825

Hank Steinbrenner, in true Steinbrenner fashion, was quoted as saying of the BoSox fanboy that buried the shirt <i>"I hope his co-workers kick the sh!t out of him."</i>. And when his co-workers are done, the Yankees (showing the milk of human kindness that they're so noted for) are probably gonna sue his azz off too.

Film at 11.

Mark Padgett Sun Apr 13, 2008 04:46pm

Quote:

The BoSox shirt that was buried has been found, dug up and is going to be auctioned off for charity.

Gee - maybe they could do the same thing with Jimmy Hoffa. :eek:

http://www.greenchair.net/images/hoffa.jpg

ChuckElias Sun Apr 13, 2008 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopey
Moose is still such an unknown quantity, it's gotta be tough for an old hand like Girardi to figure out how to use him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy
Hell, everybody in beisbol has got the book on Mussina.

You don't let Manny bat in that situation with Kevin Freaking Youkillis hitting behind him.

Hey, I was just trying to give your manager the benefit of the doubt. If you guys say he's just an idiot, I won't disagree.

Less than 2 hours to the rubber game.

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 13, 2008 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniMe
Hey, I was just trying to give your manager the benefit of the doubt. If you guys say he's just an idiot, I won't disagree.

Nope, I said that particular move was idiotic, not that he's an idiot.

Of course, as a wise man once said (which is also what Old School useta say), <o>"hindsight is foreskin"</i>......Or sumthin' like that.

Mark Padgett Sun Apr 13, 2008 06:49pm

Quote:

Peace

Are you referring to Nobody Actually Sincerely Cares About Rednecks? :D

Is that like People Eating Tasty Animals? :D

I made the first one up. Give credit for the second one to Robin Williams.

And note the grinning faces. They're just jokes, folks. Well, sort of.

Dan_ref Sun Apr 13, 2008 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herve Villechaize

Actully (and I'm not surprised I need to explain this) the implication is not that Girardi is the idiot.

Quote:

Nope, I said that particular move was idiotic, not that he's an idiot.

Of course, as a wise man once said (which is also what Old School useta say), <o>"hindsight is foreskin"</i>......Or sumthin' like that.

Don't look back: Something may be gaining on you.

Satchel Paige

just another ref Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:23pm

Quote:

Is it at all significant that Youkillis has an average 40 points higher than Manny's?

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:08am

White Sox hit two, count 'em two, grand slams in the same game against Detroit! It's only the third time in team history that's happened for the Sox - no, not just against the Tigers, but against anyone. The previous time Chicago did it was May 19, 1996, when Darren Lewis and Robin Ventura homered at Detroit. The first time was Sept. 4, 1995, when Ventura hit two grand slams in a game at Texas. Congrats to Joe Crede and Paul Konerko for this time. Certainly worth mentioning.

JugglingReferee Mon Apr 14, 2008 05:58pm

We had a CIS (Canadian NCAA) football referees' meeting yesterday and one gentleman (who is from Windsor, the border town with Detroit; Windsor having a heavy US media influence) came into the meeting with a Detroit Tigers hat on.

Everyone stopped their conversations and all had to comment/snicker a few times... :p

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 14, 2008 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
We had a CIS (Canadian NCAA) football referees' meeting yesterday and one gentleman (who is from Windsor, the border town with Detroit; Windsor having a heavy US media influence) came into the meeting with a Detroit Tigers hat on.

Everyone stopped their conversations and all had to comment/snicker a few times... :p

Hey - you can probably pick one of those up real cheap right now. ;)

fullor30 Mon Apr 14, 2008 06:31pm

Quote:

White Sox hit two, count 'em two, grand slams in the same game against Detroit! It's only the third time in team history that's happened for the Sox - no, not just against the Tigers, but against anyone. The previous time Chicago did it was May 19, 1996, when Darren Lewis and Robin Ventura homered at Detroit. The first time was Sept. 4, 1995, when Ventura hit two grand slams in a game at Texas. Congrats to Joe Crede and Paul Konerko for this time. Certainly worth mentioning.

Mark........they have a certain swagger this year. I think they are for real

GO GO SOX!!!!!

The corniest song ever written and I love it...

Walter E. Jagiello, otherwise known as “Lil’ Wally the Polka King.” died last Thursday of heart failure.

Jagiello co-wrote Let’s Go Go Go White Sox in 1959. The song was made popular by Captain Stubby and the Buccaneers and the fight song is still played at all Sox home games.

Lil’ Wally had quite a career as a polka musician in Chicago’s Polish Broadway. He said his finest moment was when he was asked to play for the Pope in 1984.

Lyrics to the Go Go White Sox fight song:

GO-GO WHITE SOX!

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!
Let’s go, Go-Go White Sox
We’re with you all the way!
You’re always in there fighting,
And you do your best.
We’re glad to have you out here in the Middle West.

We’re gonna root-root-root-root White Sox.
And cheer you on to victory.
When we’re in the stands,
We’ll make those rafters ring;
All through the season,
You will hear us sing.
Let’s go, Go-Go White Sox,
Chicago’s proud of you!

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!

Root-Root-Root for the White Sox. We’ll cheer you on to victory.
All through the season,
You will hear us sing.
Chicago’s proud of you!

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!
Let’s go, Go-Go White Sox!
Chicago is proud of you!

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 14, 2008 06:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30

GO GO SOX!!!!!

Walter E. Jagiello, otherwise known as “Lil’ Wally the Polka King.” died last Thursday of heart failure.

Jagiello co-wrote Let’s Go Go Go White Sox in 1959. The song was made popular by Captain Stubby and the Buccaneers and the fight song is still played at all Sox home games.

Lil’ Wally had quite a career as a polka musician in Chicago’s Polish Broadway. He said his finest moment was when he was asked to play for the Pope in 1984.

GO-GO WHITE SOX!

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!
Let’s go, Go-Go White Sox
We’re with you all the way!
You’re always in there fighting,
And you do your best.
We’re glad to have you out here in the Middle West.

We’re gonna root-root-root-root White Sox.
And cheer you on to victory.
All through the season,
You will hear us sing.
Chicago’s proud of you!

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!

Root-Root-Root for the White Sox. We’ll cheer you on to victory.
All through the season,
You will hear us sing.
Chicago’s proud of you!

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!
Let’s go, Go-Go White Sox!
Chicago is proud of you!

August 22nd, 2006 Posted by The Baseball Zealot | White Sox | one comment

In the Lion’s Den II
As I said in an earlier post, Zealot contributor Teddy Ballgame is in the heart of Angel country to watch the the playoff games. Well, I was watching the Bears-Vikings game on the tube and got to thinking. Ten to one, I bet Teddy is in a bar somewhere and convinced the barkeep to turn the channel to the Bears game. So I dialed him up.

Somebody answered but all I could was a lot of background sounds which sounded like, you guessed it, a bar.

Finally, he got to where we could talk and sure enough, he was passing the time before tonight’s baseball game by watching the Bears-Vikings game (Go Bears!). He told me that he was very pleased with how the Sox were doing (obvious) and was looking forward to seeing Contreras in action tonight.

He then broke out into a chorus of the White Sox fight song.

“Yeah, yeah, Teddy”, I said. ”Remember where you are. There are probably a barfull of drunk and dejected Angel fans looking for a good target.” Knowing Teddy, he’s probably decked out in full Sox regalia.

October 16th, 2005 Posted by The Baseball Zealot | White Sox | no comments

ONE GAME WINNING STREAK
I went to the White Sox/Yankee game yesterday at the Cell in hopes of a victory. There was even some laughter as we left the hot dog stand on 35th Street south of the ballyard that this would be the day a one game winning streak would begin for the Southsiders. The reason for thinking another L would appear on this year’s record for the Palehose after the day was through was obvious enough, Randy Johnson versus Jose Contreras. More nervous laughter was uttered after observing Pablo Ozuna, Chris Widger, and overmatched rookie Brian Anderson would be in the Sox starting lineup against The Big Unit. It was a true story of David versus Goliath.

The game started off true to form when Pablo Ozuna after singling to open the contest, stole 2nd, and was picked off after Tadahito Iguchi failed to advance him to third. Of Course the Bronx Bombers scored a run to seemingly put the game away with an insermountable lead of 1-0.

But then came the 4th inning! This would not be an inning you’d have wanted to have missed in the bathroom. Tadahito Iguchi launched a solo homer over the rightfield wall to knot the score at one. Aaron Rowand followed suit with a carbon copy of Tadahito’s blast. And then with two strikes on Paul Konerko, Randy Johnson tried to fool Paulie with a breaking ball, the only fool was Johnson, as Konerko made it back-to-back-to-back jacks deep into the leftfield stands. After a couple of singles Chris Widger of all people sealed the deal with a three run gong to left. After each home run the GO SOX GO Fight Song was played. It was only the 3rd time in White Sox history they’d hit three consecutive home runs, the last time being 5-3-00.

Final score Good Guys 6, Yankees 2. GO SOX GO!!!

WHITE SOX FIGHT SONG
Here are the lyrics of the Chicago White Sox fight song
by Captain Stubby and the Buccaneers (1959)

The official fight song of White Sox Interactive!

WHITE SOX WHITE SOX GO-GO WHITE SOX
LET’S GO GO-GO WHITE SOX
WE’RE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY
THEY’RE ALWAYS IN THERE FIGHTING
AND YOU DO YOUR BEST
WE’RE GLAD TO HAVE YOU OUT HERE
IN THE MIDDLE WEST
WE’RE GONNA ROOT ROOT ROOT ROOT WHITE SOX
AND CHEER YOU OUT TO VICTORY
WHEN WE’RE IN THE STANDS
WE’LL MAKE THOSE RAFTERS RING
ALL THROUGH THE SEASON
YOU WILL HEAR US SING
LET’S GO GO-GO WHITE SOX
CHICAGO’S PROUD OF YOU
ROOT ROOT ROOT FOR THE WHITE SOX
WE’LL CHEER YO OUT TO VICTORY
WHEN WE’RE IN THE STANDS
WE’LL MAKE THOSE RAFTERS RING
ALL THROUGH THE SEASON
YOU WILL HEAR US SING
LET’S GO GO-GO WHITE SOX
CHICAGO’S PROUD OF YOU
PLAY BALL!!!
LET’S GO GO-GO WHITE SOX
CHICAGO IS PROUD OF YOU

I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention. What was that again? :p

BTW - trivia for you - Captain Stubby's real name was Tom Fouts.

http://bacm.users.btopenworld.com/images/201.jpg

fullor30 Mon Apr 14, 2008 08:56pm

Quote:

I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention. What was that again? :p

BTW - trivia for you - Captain Stubby's real name was Tom Fouts.

http://bacm.users.btopenworld.com/images/201.jpg

Geesh.....sorry, waay too much cuttin' and pastin'

Dan_ref Mon Apr 14, 2008 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30

GO GO SOX!!!!!

Thanks for that great post.

The Yankees have a fight song too, here are the lyrics:

STFU.

DonInKansas Tue Apr 15, 2008 02:14am

8-5 and leading the AL West.

I have to revel in being an A's fan.....for now.

Now if only Rich Harden weren't as frail as a newborn friggin baby......

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 15, 2008 05:57am

Quote:

STFU.

I thought it was <i>"(insert name here) sucks."</i>

ChuckElias Tue Apr 15, 2008 07:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Now if only Rich Harden weren't as frail as a newborn friggin baby......

Does that mean you want Zito back? :)

Manny hits a no-doubter in the 9th to win it, after Joe Borowski had already blown the save. How did he have 45 saves last year?

Ortiz wasn't crushing anything, but he did get 2 hits last night, after Mike Lowell performed an exorcism on him in the dugout before the game. Wierd, but they all looked like they were getting a good laugh out of it.

Lester looked great for 3 innings and then just collapsed. That's bad. But Tavarez, who I have been hating since he was in St. Louis, pitched fantastic to keep the game within reach.

I noticed last night that all the signage behind home plate says "Progressive Field". I guess I missed it, but the Indians changed the name of the ballpark. I hate that. Is anybody besides me bothered by ballpark names that are simply corporate sponsorships? At least with Busch Stadium and Wrigley Field, they were names of actual people (owners). I just hate "Petco Field", "Minute Maid Park", "Tropicana Field". :mad:

Speaking of which. . .

Yankees blew a 5 run lead, but pulled it out late. Darn. Today I'm wearing my Tampa Bay hat that I got last year (on my annual baseball trip with my college roommate, Dan). Maybe that'll get the Rays over the hump against the Yanks.

mick Tue Apr 15, 2008 07:34am

Quote:

Today I'm wearing my Tampa Bay hat that I got last year (on my annual baseball trip with my college roommate, Dan). Maybe that'll get the Rays over the hump against the Yanks.

Good luck with that.
Detroit hats don't work. :)

Dan_ref Tue Apr 15, 2008 08:09am

Quote:

I thought it was <i>"(insert name here) sucks."</i>

No no, that's just a statement of fact. "(insert name here)" actually does suck.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 15, 2008 08:21am

Quote:

Today I'm wearing my Tampa Bay hat that I got last year (on my annual baseball trip with my college roommate, Dan).

Would that be your friend Larry who developed that awful facial tic from spending so much time with you in baseball stadiums named for non-owner corporations?

btw, please note I used the non-Latin plural because I just know it will wreck your entire day

oh yeah, and while we're at it... just what the hell is a Fenway anyway?

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 15, 2008 08:30am

Quote:

oh yeah, and while we're at it... just what the hell is a Fenway anyway?

Ya had to ask, didn't ya?:rolleyes:

Here comes the 14-page dissertation......

Either that or BillyMac will Google it and post 14 stoopid pictures.......

ChuckElias Tue Apr 15, 2008 08:41am

Quote:

Ya had to ask, didn't ya?:rolleyes:

Here comes the 14-page dissertation......

Nah, just one simple definition. A fen way is a path or area near a fen, which is "low land that is covered wholly or partly with water unless artificially drained". It's just named after a low-lying area of the city.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 15, 2008 08:53am

Quote:

Nah, just one simple definition. A fen way is a path or area near a fen, which is "low land that is covered wholly or partly with water unless artificially drained". It's just named after a low-lying area of the city.

A drained swamp.

How appropriate.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled off topic discussion.

Mark Dexter Tue Apr 15, 2008 09:03am

Quote:

STFU.

I thought it was the pitter-patter of thousands of batteries hitting the field.

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 15, 2008 09:29am

Quote:

Nah, just one simple definition.

Thank you for being short.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 15, 2008 09:34am

Quote:

I thought it was the pitter-patter of thousands of batteries hitting the field.

Yeah, D-cell battery day at the stadium always draws a big crowd of kids.

dblref Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:47am

Quote:

is this why they refer to the Red Sux as ..."low-lying SOB's?":D

M&M Guy Tue Apr 15, 2008 01:54pm

Quote:

Manny hits a no-doubter in the 9th to win it, after Joe Borowski had already blown the save. How did he have 45 saves last year?

Perhaps this is why:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10780886
Indians put Borowski on DL; Betancourt likely to take over as closer

Mark Dexter Tue Apr 15, 2008 05:03pm

Happy Jackie Robinson day, everyone!

http://www.medaloffreedom.com/JackieRobinsonlg.jpg

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 15, 2008 05:45pm

Quote:

Happy Jackie Robinson day, everyone!

That means it's also Branch Rickey day.

http://www.whackynation.com/wp-conte...g-robinson.jpg

ChuckElias Wed Apr 16, 2008 08:44am

Last night was Jason Veritek's turn to hit a 9th-inning HR for the go-ahead run. It was a big night for Jud Lowrie, too. In his first big league game, he had 3 RBIs, including his first hit in the bigs -- a grounder that just made it through the infield to plate 2 runs, giving the Sox a lead. He was the Red Sox' minor league offensive player of the year last season. Hard to see how he'll stick on the roster this year, but I'm happy for him.

My Tampa Bay hat didn't do any good, as the Yanks won again in the Trop. :(

Sox/Yanks again this weekend? Wang looked pretty good last time. . .

DJ's M's knocked the Royals juggernaut out of first place in the Central, and Mick's Tiggers have a winning streak going.

ChuckElias Wed Apr 16, 2008 08:49am

Quote:

That means it's also Branch Rickey day.

I suppose that's true in a sense, but I think it kind of diminishes the significance of the day to focus on Rickey. I realize it was his decision to bring Robinson to the big league club, but he was risking a lot less than Robinson.

I also realize that Rickey established Dodgertown so that the black players could live with the team, instead of being forced to stay in "colored" hotels. He clearly did a lot to advance the cause of minorities in baseball, but the focus -- for April 15, anyway -- should be fixed on Jackie Robinson, IMHO.

Jurassic Referee Wed Apr 16, 2008 09:28am

Quote:

1)It was a big night for <font color = red>Jud</font> Lowrie, too.

2) Sox/Yanks again <font color = red>this weekend</font>? Wang looked pretty good last time. . .

1) Jud? Is he any relation to <b>Jed</b> Lowry? The <b>Jed</b> Lowry that plays for your BoSoX?

2) Um, Chuckie, methinks they play <b>tonight</b>. Two game series. I wouldn't lie to ya.

About that ESPN gig? Fuggesaboutit!

ChuckElias Wed Apr 16, 2008 09:39am

Quote:

1) Jud? Is he any relation to <b>Jed</b> Lowry? The <b>Jed</b> Lowry that plays for your BoSoX?

2) Um, Chuckie, methinks they play <b>tonight</b>. Two game series. I wouldn't lie to ya.

LMAO!! Jeez, I'm getting ready to head to Florida to visit my dad and I didn't pay enough attention to what I typed. Better make sure I stay off any escalators today.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 16, 2008 09:40am

Quote:

Better make sure I stay off any escalators today.

Too bad.

Jurassic Referee Wed Apr 16, 2008 09:46am

Quote:

Better make sure I stay off any escalators today.

Never a worry for you. The sides are three feet high.

mick Wed Apr 16, 2008 09:47am

Quote:

and Mick's Tiggers have a winning streak going.

Today the Tigers meet Indians' C.C. Sabathia [0-2, 11.57] who is overdue to dominate anyone. It'd be good for the Tigers to win another.

Win 6 in a row and Detroit is .500. :cool:

Nevadaref Wed Apr 16, 2008 05:08pm

Man loses balance, falls to his death after game at Shea

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The daughter of a man who died after falling four stories at Shea Stadium said her father was not sliding down the escalator when the accident happened, as police reported.
A statement from the New York Police Department on Tuesday said witnesses saw 36-year-old Antonio Nararainsami of Brooklyn sitting on the banister of the escalator when he lost his balance and fell.
Nararainsami's daughter, Emily, told CNN affiliate WABC on Tuesday that her father was walking down the escalator, not sliding on its banister, as fans left the stadium after the New York Mets-Washington Nationals game. She said she and another relative saw what happened.
<!--startclickprintexclude--> <!--endclickprintexclude--> "He wasn't moving or nothing; he was just walking down. I guess he tried to say something to us or something, and I guess he just lost his balance and flipped over," she said.
Nararainsami died at Booth Memorial Hospital about 25 minutes after the 10 p.m. incident.
Police are investigating the death as an accident.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 16, 2008 07:45pm

At this point...and I know it's still early... but at this point in the game I hope Chuck decided to be a good bitter citizen & watch the debates.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 16, 2008 08:19pm

To hell with Chuck, I'm gonna go watch the stupid debate.

Nevadaref Wed Apr 16, 2008 08:48pm

Pitching duel at Yankee Stadium...11-9 at the moment. :D

mick Wed Apr 16, 2008 09:27pm

Quote:

I watched the stoopid debate.
It was.

Chuck won't go there.

mick Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:14pm

3-in-a-row;

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=black12>AL Detroit at Cleveland Tigers Miguel Cabrera has 5 RBI.</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=1>http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>AL Detroit at Cleveland Tigers Edgar Renteria has 5 RBI.</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=1>http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>AL Detroit at Cleveland Tigers Miguel Cabrera has 4 hits.

Now both teams are in the cellar. :)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jurassic Referee Thu Apr 17, 2008 05:03am

Quote:

Another fair-weather fan.......:rolleyes:

How can you <b>not</b> watch a classic like that?

We won by an unconverted touchdown.

ChuckElias Thu Apr 17, 2008 07:11am

Quote:

How can you <b>not</b> watch a classic like that?

Good grief, that was painful. I didn't get to see anything after the top of the 8th. . . just as well. :( Tavarez did such a great job last time out, but ugh.

Tonight, Beckett vs. Moose. I'm almost optimistic.

BLydic Thu Apr 17, 2008 08:18am

Quote:

3-in-a-row;

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=black12>AL Detroit at Cleveland Tigers Miguel Cabrera has 5 RBI.</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=1>http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>AL Detroit at Cleveland Tigers Edgar Renteria has 5 RBI.</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=1>http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=black12>AL Detroit at Cleveland Tigers Miguel Cabrera has 4 hits.

Now both teams are in the cellar. :)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What an a$$ whooping :(

Go tribe!

mick Thu Apr 17, 2008 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic
What an a$$ whooping :(

Go tribe!

C.C., I understand, is "wrangling" for a new contract.
Maybe he's in a little funk.

BLydic Thu Apr 17, 2008 09:03am

Quote:

C.C., I understand, is "wrangling" for a new contract.
Maybe he's in a little funk.

He's definitely in a funk and I hope he clears his head quick. Aren't players supposed to have stellar performances in their final year of a contract? That's kinda what I was hoping for.

Jurassic Referee Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:32am

Quote:

Tonight, Beckett vs. Moose. I'm almost optimistic.

Anytime Moose pitches, the opposition is optimistic...to the point of being ecstatic.

Better days ahead. Carl Pavano is due back in August.

M&M Guy Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:37am

Quote:

Better days ahead. (Insert name here) is due back in August.

Careful...Cub fans have been using this line for years.

Adam Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:51am

Quote:

Better days ahead. (Insert name here) is due back <strike>in August</strike> next April.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Careful...Cub fans have been using this line for years.

I fixed it for you. :)

Dan_ref Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:53am

Burn Baby Burn

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...williams_under

fullor30 Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:58am

The onion is the best.

since we are a basketball site.....

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...tee_of_college

ChuckElias Thu Apr 17, 2008 07:05pm

I'm gonna enjoy it while I can (since the Bruins are almost out the door). Hopefully, Beckett is on his game for a while.

(Bruins stay alive and head back to Boston! :) )

ChuckElias Thu Apr 17, 2008 09:43pm

Papelbon gave up a couple runs in the ninth. :mad: And Ortiz still looks horrible. But overall, I'm pretty happy with a split after last night's debacle. Papi's gotta start coming around soon.

mick Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:38pm

Bad Tiger! Bad Tiger !!
Go back downstairs !

ChuckElias Fri Apr 18, 2008 05:45am

WOW!!

Let's play 2 1/2!

Colorado and San Diego did just that Thursday night and into Friday morning, slogging through a 22-inning game that was the longest in the majors in nearly 15 years.

The Rockies finally won 2-1, with Troy Tulowitzki's two-out RBI double bringing in Willy Taveras with an unearned run in nearly empty Petco Park. A game that lasted 6 hours, 16 minutes was decided by an unearned run.