The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.92 average. Display Modes
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
While watching the Red Sox in Detroit, the Tiger announcers [Mario Impemba and Rod Allen are really fine baseball fans without rules problems] mentioned that Red Sox captain and third baseman, Mike Lowell, has the highest fielding percentage for a third baseman in the history of the game.

Edit: I knew. I called it! Lowell hit a 3 run homerun to tie the game. The man is a Tiger killer.
Only problem is that the captain is Varitek.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Yanks lose to "the JV", as Dan has called the Mets in the past. Rays finally lose a game -- in extra innings -- to Saint Louis.

Sox take Game 1 of a double header, with Dice-K going strong through 6 innings. Sox also lead Game 2 5-1, but Wake had a tough 6th and the Brew Crew has bases loaded with 2 outs. Poop. Weeks just drives in 2 runs, making it 5-3.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Sox held on last night. They actually blew their 5-run lead but came back to win it. Timlin pitched a great ninth. Sox climb back into a tie for first. I know it's still really early, but that gets a Woo-hoo!!
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Totally off-topic post in the off-topic thread:

I was reading old threads yesterday and saw some posts from DrakeM. He hasn't posted here in 2 years. I know that he had been doing some D1 ball out west, but he wasn't listed on bbstate.com.

Anybody know what Drake is up to these days? His profile doesn't have an email option, so I can't email him to find out.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 02:11pm
We don't rent pigs

What are the restrictions on conference on the mound between players? Brewers had about 3 in span of 6 or 8 pitches when the Red Sox had bases loaded nobody out. You always see the umpire stroll out to break it up relatively quickly, it seems, but does it ever reach a point where blue says, "Enough! Proceed, or else!"

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 04:46pm
In Memoriam

Arrow Judgement call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
What are the restrictions on conference on the mound between players? Brewers had about 3 in span of 6 or 8 pitches when the Red Sox had bases loaded nobody out. You always see the umpire stroll out to break it up relatively quickly, it seems, but does it ever reach a point where blue says, "Enough! Proceed, or else!"
Justa,
Requests for time by fielders [and batters and runners] will be granted if the umpire deems such request to be warranted and/or necessary.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

No-hitter!!!!!!!!!

...by Jon Lester of the Red Sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280519102

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue May 20, 2008 at 04:15pm.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Huh, no mention of the no-no from the mythical Chuck Elias. Maybe he's still out partying with the team?

Another, much smaller piece of history happened last night as well. Geovany Soto of the Cubs was the first Cub catcher in almost 50 years to hit an inside-the-park home run. I didn't get a chance to see it, but I heard the call on the radio. The thing that surprised me was Pat Hughes, the Cubs' play-by-play announcer, mentioned the possibility even before Soto got to second base. As it turns out, it hit along one of those vertical yellow lines along left-center at Enron/MinuteMaid/Astros/Whatever Field, and he should've been credited with a home run to begin with, but the umpires thought it was still in play. I don't blame them for that call considering the crazy lines in Houston, (and given how the play turned out ), but it's still interesting following the controversy over Delgado's ball for the Mets Sunday night.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Huh, no mention of the no-no from the mythical Chuck Elias. Maybe he's still out partying with the team?

Another, much smaller piece of history happened last night as well. Geovany Soto of the Cubs was the first Cub catcher in almost 50 years to hit an inside-the-park home run. I didn't get a chance to see it, but I heard the call on the radio. The thing that surprised me was Pat Hughes, the Cubs' play-by-play announcer, mentioned the possibility even before Soto got to second base. As it turns out, it hit along one of those vertical yellow lines along left-center at Enron/MinuteMaid/Astros/Whatever Field, and he should've been credited with a home run to begin with, but the umpires thought it was still in play. I don't blame them for that call considering the crazy lines in Houston, (and given how the play turned out ), but it's still interesting following the controversy over Delgado's ball for the Mets Sunday night.
Yeah, a lot of that going around lately.

btw, on a much sadder note... I noticed that this thread's rating has fallen from 4 stars to 3.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Yeah, a lot of that going around lately.

btw, on a much sadder note... I noticed that this thread's rating has fallen from 4 stars to 3.
There, I've done my part. I seem to have had quite the influence.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
There, I've done my part. I seem to have had quite the influence.
Good job. You have earned 1 under-the-bus immunity point.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

It's JON Lester...his catcher is named Jason (Varitek.) Varitek set record by catching his 4th no hitter.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I wasn't partying yesterday. I had "one of those days" that you hope never happens again. I did manage to get home by 8:30 and saw the last 3 innings or so. I was pretty impressed. His pitch count was really high and I honestly expected to run out of gas in the ninth, but he was still throwing 95 mph, according to the NESN radar gun. Pretty amazing that his first big league complete game is a no-hitter.

Rays got back on the winning track, trying to keep up with the Sox.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
No, I wasn't partying yesterday. I had "one of those days" that you hope never happens again.
You met Dan for a couple of diet cokes?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You met Dan for a couple of diet cokes?
There you go again. Dan was just complaining about you in another thread. I think you're hurting his feelings.