The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

ChuckElias Mon May 12, 2008 05:54pm

This just in. . .

ARod out for at least one more week.

Julian Tavarez designated for assignment by the Sox. Can't say I'm all broken up about that, but even I have to admit that he's been valuable at times over the last season.

ChuckElias Wed May 14, 2008 02:13pm

Tampa Bay Rays take over first place by a half game over the Sox. Rays are 7 games over .500 for the first time in their history. If they weren't in the AL East, I'd be happy for them.

Sox trying to climb back into first place; they lead the O's 1-0 in the first. Big Papi just bounced into a double play, tho. :(

Mark Padgett Wed May 14, 2008 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
This just in. . .

ARod out for at least one more week.

Out of what? The tabloids? Not bloody likely. ;)

Dan_ref Thu May 15, 2008 10:13am

Bosox slide into the cellar continues and meanwhile after a pep talk from their lunatic owner the Yanks take a game from the current AL East leading Rays.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...0B5hwD90LN72O0

Maybe the boys of Swamp Park need Hank's encouragement as well?

btw... here's an oldie but goodie you all might enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5lPI...eature=related

Mark Padgett Thu May 15, 2008 12:40pm

Somewhat off topic, but still baseball related

We had all the kids and grandkids over on Mother's Day and we went through an old trunk full of photo albums, etc. I found my old baby book that I hadn't looked at in at least 25 years. In it was an autograph given to me by Joe DiMaggio when I was 8 months old! It is dated July 17, 1949 and was issued at the Del Prado hotel on the south side of Chicago, so I guess he was in town to play the While Sox at that time. My cousin was the hostess in the lounge at that hotel, so she must have obtained it for me. I'm going to try and figure out what it's worth. I'll probably pass it on to one of my grandsons.

It says, "To Mark Charles Best Wishes Joe DiMaggio". Obviously, "Charles" is my middle name, despite my mother always telling me it was "Trouble". :)

mick Thu May 15, 2008 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I'm going to try and figure out what it's worth. I'll probably pass it on to one of my grandsons.

...To a grandson, huh ?

ChuckElias Fri May 16, 2008 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
slide into the cellar continues

Speaking of the cellar, Yankees are in last place this late in the season for the first time since 1975. Just saying.

Feel free to point out that it's not even Father's Day, so it doesn't matter. And you're probably right. But I thought it was worth pointing out.

Rays are alone in first place for three consecutive days for the first time in franchise history. If they weren't in the AL East, I'd be happy for them.

Dan_ref Fri May 16, 2008 09:41am

Quote:

Speaking of the cellar, Yankees are in last place this late in the season for the first time since 1975. Just saying.

I bet you a diet coke at Hooters you can't prove that conclusively.

mick Fri May 16, 2008 09:43am

Quote:

Ha.
Tigers and Mariners have deeper cellars. :)

ChuckElias Fri May 16, 2008 10:05am

Quote:

They said it on SportsCenter this morning, so it must be true. :shrug:

Dan_ref Fri May 16, 2008 12:47pm

Quote:

They said it on SportsCenter this morning, so it must be true. :shrug:

Why were they talking about Hooters & diet cokes on SC this morning?

ChuckElias Fri May 16, 2008 04:18pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by me

I guess I lose that Diet Coke. This was on ESPN.com's Page2 today.

Quote:

The Yankees are in last place! Celebrate if you're a hater. Cry tears bigger than Ian Kennedy's ERA if you're a fan. The Yankees haven't finished last since 1990, a truly memorable season ...

• Yanks finished 67-95, 21 games behind first-place Boston.
• They finished last in scoring (603 runs) and last in batting average (.241).
• Do these names make old-school Yankee fans shudder? Alvaro Espinoza (.224), Oscar Azocar (.257 OBP), Steve Balboni (.192).
• Even Donnie Baseball hit a sickly .256 with only 5 HRs in 102 games.
• Tim Leary lost 19 games. And mysteriously didn't start the final two weeks after losing his 19th game even though he led Yankee starters with a 4.11 ERA.
• The A's went 12-0 against the Yanks.
• The Yanks were shut out 15 times.
• Third baseman Mike Blowers made four errors in one game.
• Deion Sanders hit .158 in 133 at-bats, drew a dollar sign in the dirt, failed to run out a pop fly, got smacked down by Carlton Fisk and released in September.
• Mel Hall, Hensley Meulens, Claudell Washington, Wayne Tolleson, Luis Polonia, and Jim Walewander played for the team.
• The good news? Two late-round picks from the June draft turned into pretty good ballplayers: Andy Pettitte was drafted in the 22nd round, Jorge Posada in the 24th.
--David Schoenfield
I watched the SportsCenter replay and he actually said that the Yankees haven't been in last place on May 15 since 1975. I incorrectly took that to mean that May 15 was the latest they'd been in last, obviously. Apparently, he was talking about that day only; but I'm not sure why anybody would care about that.

ChuckElias Fri May 16, 2008 04:29pm

This kind of made me laugh. The Yankees' payroll that year, 1990, was $19,339,816. Average salary in the bigs that year was $578,930.

Last year, the Yankees' payroll was $189,639,045; and the league average was $2,944,556.

Adam Fri May 16, 2008 04:30pm

Quote:

I watched the SportsCenter replay and he actually said that the Yankees haven't been in last place on May 15 since 1975. I incorrectly took that to mean that May 15 was the latest they'd been in last, obviously. Apparently, he was talking about that day only; but I'm not sure why anybody would care about that.

Does that only include May 15ths that fall on Thursdays?

Dan_ref Fri May 16, 2008 05:01pm

Quote:

... but I'm not sure why anybody would care about that.

That's pretty much what I wonder when I read one of your posts.