The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA Sitch. 8 second count. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42973-nba-sitch-8-second-count.html)

ca_rumperee Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:14pm

NBA Sitch. 8 second count.

Houston @ GS Warriors the other night.

GSW hits a basket, but HOU is up by 1 with 18.5 seconds to go. Warriors pressure the HOU inbounds play in the back court, apparently looking hard for a steal rather than a simple foul.

HOU struggles a bit advancing the ball, but GSW ultimately fouls in the back court with 12 seconds left.... no back court violation.

My question is, any idea how the refs count this 8 seconds? I don't think that I have ever seen a manual count in the NBA. I always thought that they used the shot clock. But in the above sitch, the shot clock was turned off.

Do the packs they wear buzz at 8 seconds?

Jurassic Referee Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
GSW hits a basket, but HOU is up by 1 with <font color = red>18.5 seconds</font> to go. Warriors pressure the HOU inbounds play in the back court, apparently looking hard for a steal rather than a simple foul.

HOU struggles a bit advancing the ball, but GSW ultimately fouls in the back court with <font color = red>12 seconds</font> left.... no back court violation.

My question is, any idea how the refs count this 8 seconds?

Let's see now. You take 18.5. You subtract 12.0. You get.....wait a second.....get out the calculator......that's not working.....better go find a 7-year old and ask him/her.....and the answer is......wait for it......6.5 seconds.

I'm just guessing but it's possible that might be the reason that there wasn't an 8-second violation called.

Are you a math major, by any chance?:D

Snake~eyes Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:44pm

They use the shotclock or game clock. There is no vibrating pack.

zebraman Sun Mar 23, 2008 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Let's see now. You take 18.5. You subtract 12.0. You get.....wait a second.....get out the calculator......that's not working.....better go find a 7-year old and ask him/her.....and the answer is......wait for it......6.5 seconds.

I'm just guessing but it's possible that might be the reason that there wasn't an 8-second violation called.

Jurassic, you are a genius. There is no way you went to public schools! :)

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 23, 2008 01:22pm

Quote:

JR,

OP wasn't questioning why there wasn't a violation called. In fact, his first three paragraphs were extraneous information, but it does give us a mental image of his exact situation, and what actions caused him to wonder about the 8-second rule.

Your blue text answers a question that s/he did not ask!

Jurassic Referee Sun Mar 23, 2008 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
JR,

OP wasn't questioning why there wasn't a violation called. In fact, his first three paragraphs were extraneous information, but it does give us a mental image of his exact situation, and what actions caused him to wonder about the 8-second rule.

Your blue text answers a question that s/he did not ask!

Cool. Then I'll change my answer to "who gives a sh1t?". It's the NBA. They use the same officiating philosophy as the WWE.

Mark Padgett Sun Mar 23, 2008 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Do the packs they wear buzz at 8 seconds?

No. At the 8 second mark, Stone Cold Steve Austin drops down from the ceiling and body slams the ball handler.

OK, I made that up, but it might happen in the near future the way the NBA is going. Or should we start calling it the NBE? ;)

http://www.nobullengineering.com/graphics/nbe_still.gif

ca_rumperee Sun Mar 23, 2008 02:15pm

jr, thanks for that.

Quote:

I knew they didn't get to the 8 second count. Again, thanks for that.
It was just a scenario where the team was working towards that, the pressure in the back court was mounting... but then the foul.
Caused me to wonder how the officials clocked the count.

But again, thanks for that.

ca_rumperee Sun Mar 23, 2008 02:18pm

So I guess in this sitch..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
They use the shotclock or game clock. There is no vibrating pack.

... they would look for the game clock to hit 10.5. Seems tough on them to have that "decimal place" clock watching responsibility thrown in.

Kelvin green Sun Mar 23, 2008 05:22pm

It is tough.... but because NBA uses exact time if they hit 10.1 and that's where the clock stopped on the whistle, they would go back to 10.5...

Adam Sun Mar 23, 2008 05:36pm

Aren't we assuming team control started on the touch?

Back In The Saddle Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green
It is tough.... but because NBA uses exact time if they hit 10.1 and that's where the clock stopped on the whistle, they would go back to 10.5...

Huh? Can you elaborate on this a bit?

Mark Dexter Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Huh? Can you elaborate on this a bit?

NFHS - team A gains control in their backcourt with 20 seconds remaining in the period. When 8 seconds shows on the clock, you call a 10 second violation. In this situation, you don't reset the clock to 10 seconds.

NBA - same situation, but you call an 8 second violation when 10.0 shows on the clock. Here, you would reset the clock to 12.0.

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
NFHS - team A gains control in their backcourt with 20 seconds remaining in the period. When 8 seconds shows on the clock, you call a 10 second violation. In this situation, you don't reset the clock to 10 seconds.

NBA - same situation, but you call an 8 second violation when 10.0 shows on the clock. Here, you would reset the clock to 12.0.

That's because in the NBA, 8 seconds means 8 seconds.

In our Fed games, 10 seconds means that the official incremented his count 10 times, which could be anywhere from 9s to 12s (in most cases).

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
That's because in the NBA, 8 seconds means 8 seconds.

Not quite true. If the dribbler was a member of the first or second all-star team, they get 10 seconds.