The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hi,
What is the rule regarding a player who has the ball out of bounds and a player from his own team steps out of bounds as the pass is made in, hence two players are out of bound from the same team on an inbounds pass.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question Am I not being clear on the information

Is the reason people are viewing, but not responding because I have not been clear?
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janes14
Hi,
What is the rule regarding a player who has the ball out of bounds and a player from his own team steps out of bounds as the pass is made in, hence two players are out of bound from the same team on an inbounds pass.
If a player intentionally goes OOB to gain an advantage, such as running off a screen to get open or gpoing OOB to avoid being fouled late in a game, it would be a technical foul.

If two players both went OOB to make a throw-in and one did not return, it would be a violation.

PS - Are you from Maine?
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 11:13pm
In Memoriam

Re: Am I not being clear on the information

Quote:
Is the reason people are viewing, but not responding because I have not been clear?

janes14,
Perhaps the viewers are not sure of the call. Perhaps the viewers are not sure of the activity. Perhaps some of the viewers are assistant coaches.

Are you asking: If a teammate of the thrower steps OOB after the Spot throw-in is released, is that a violation?

This probably would not be called.

Are you asking: If a teammate of the thrower steps OOB before the Spot throw-in is released, is that a violation?

This should be called.

Are you asking: If a teammate of the thrower steps OOB before/during/after the Endline throw-in is released, is that a violation?

This should not be called.

mick

Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

My first post:

Passing the ball (on a throw-in) to a teammate who is also out of bounds is legal only after a made basket or made free throw. If the team can run the endline, then this passing out of bounds is legal.(NFHS Rule 7 Sec 5 Art 7) However, it is a violation if not inbounded within 5 seconds, as with any throw-in.

If the thrown-in is from a spot, then this passing out of bounds would be a violation (as if he had moved from his designated spot).

Hope this explains it adequately.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

My Second Post:

Oops. After re-reading your initial question, I think I have answered to a different situation. Sorry about that.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
[B]
Quote:
If a player intentionally goes OOB to gain an advantage, such as running off a screen to get open or gpoing OOB to avoid being fouled late in a game, it would be a technical foul.
I was kind of interested by the wording here. Perhaps you're citing the Case Book, but in the rule book under Player Technical there is nothing about leaving the court being intentional NOR to gain an advantage.

I had two situations with this coming up this season. One time a kid ran out of bounds at the baseline to avoid defensive players in the key. We banged him with a T.

I also had a game where a kid (defender) came up behind the dribbler and made a wild swipe hoping to dislodge the ball (made no contact) but lost control and ran OUT OF BOUNDS up the court for about 4 or 5 steps before coming back inbounds. I don't think he intentionally left the court, nor did his leaving create an advantage, however, as I said earlier, the rules don't really place those elemenets as a necessary condition. Thoughts??
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier
Quote:
I was kind of interested by the wording here. Perhaps you're citing the Case Book, but in the rule book under Player Technical there is nothing about leaving the court being intentional NOR to gain an advantage.

I had two situations with this coming up this season. One time a kid ran out of bounds at the baseline to avoid defensive players in the key. We banged him with a T.

I also had a game where a kid (defender) came up behind the dribbler and made a wild swipe hoping to dislodge the ball (made no contact) but lost control and ran OUT OF BOUNDS up the court for about 4 or 5 steps before coming back inbounds. I don't think he intentionally left the court, nor did his leaving create an advantage, however, as I said earlier, the rules don't really place those elemenets as a necessary condition. Thoughts??
Paul,
The cases cited for a T for leaving the court:

Sitch A: Stepping out to get the 3-second count stopped
Sitch B: Going or staying OOB to make use of a screen (this seems to be your case that you cited above)
Sitch C: A player remained at the bench during a time-out and then returned.

These three situations all seem to show an implied intent by the player to "leave the court".

I agree that intent has to be present.
We aren't gonna T a player for diving OOB to save a ball are we? I guess we have to judge which is greater... intent or momentum. If momentum is the cause, I cannot call a technical foul.
mick

Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

These three situations all seem to show an implied intent by the player to "leave the court".

mick
Preventitive officiating - would you call the T or call the violation (3 seconds) and issue a "gentle" reminder to the player not to do it again.

My guess is, 9 out of 10 players don't even know this is a T, and correspondingly 10 out of 10 coaches would raise holy heck if you called it - but maybe that's where the fun lies
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

thanks

Hi I just want to thank-you for giving me some possible answers. BBALLREF, yes I am from Maine
Mick, I do belong to another forum, but I did not ask the question on that forum nor did I respond as I did not understand the ruling. However I do appreciate getting the "official" information
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

A fellow fan or your team asked about this play on the McGriff board. I'm sure that's what mick was referring to.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 10:24pm
In Memoriam

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
A fellow fan or your team asked about this play on the McGriff board. I'm sure that's what mick was referring to.
I'm sure yer right.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 10:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

mick
Preventitive officiating - would you call the T or call the violation (3 seconds) and issue a "gentle" reminder to the player not to do it again.

My guess is, 9 out of 10 players don't even know this is a T, and correspondingly 10 out of 10 coaches would raise holy heck if you called it - but maybe that's where the fun lies
Who?
Me?
No T.