The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Please help. A4 with the ball is posting his man. A4 stops dribbling and his left foot is his pivot foot. Then he pivots towards the basket. He takes a step with his right foot and lifts his left foot and lays the ball in. Hope this is clear? Is this travelling? I thought so because he lifts the pivot foot.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 01:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Please help. A4 with the ball is posting his man. A4 stops dribbling and his left foot is his pivot foot. Then he pivots towards the basket. He takes a step with his right foot and lifts his left foot and lays the ball in. Hope this is clear? Is this travelling? I thought so because he lifts the pivot foot.
Once the player lifts his pivot foot, he is legal as long as neither foot retouches the floor before the ball is released.
So, you probably kicked that one.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
mick is correct this would not be a travel
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Ref5678 is correct and so is mike cause as long at his right foot doest touch again it isn't a travel.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 04:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ump2604
Ref5678 is correct and so is mike cause as long at his right foot doest touch again it isn't a travel.
Need to read it again,ump.Whether it is the right foot or not is not really the full answer.If either foot comes down,it's a travel.Rules reference is R-4-43-3b.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Once the player lifts his pivot foot, he is legal as long as neither foot retouches the floor before the ball is released.

Mick. My interpretation is that his right foot is still touching the floor while his pivot foot has now left the floor. I don't see how this is different than changing your pivot foot. I appreciate your comments.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My interpretation is that his right foot is still touching the floor while his pivot foot has now left the floor. I don't see how this is different than changing your pivot foot.
You're interpreting it incorrectly.

4-44-3a
After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

If he hops on the non-pivot, then he's traveled. But the play that you describe is legal.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 06:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
My interpretation is that his right foot is still touching the floor while his pivot foot has now left the floor. I don't see how this is different than changing your pivot foot.
You're interpreting it incorrectly.

4-44-3a
After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

If he hops on the non-pivot, then he's traveled. But the play that you describe is legal.
Please Mr. BasketballRef,Sir,could you answer the following?I get SO confused sometimes!
1)How long is the player allowed to stand on his non-pivot foot while holding the ball after he raises his pivot foot?
2)If he's standing on his non-pivot foot after he's raised his pivot foot,can he legally toss the ball back-and-forth between his hands without committing a violation?
3)If the ball comes to rest for 0.1 seconds on one of his hands while he is tossing the ball back and forth,is it now a violation?
4)If the player "drags" the ball while standing on his non-pivot foot,can you call him for an illegal"drag"?
5)If a player is "dragging" the ball while he is hopping on his non-pivot foot,is it still a violation if the ball is not touching either hand when the player's foot contacts the floor while hopping?
Thank you in advance for your expert help!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

1) The ball must be snapped before the 25 second play clock expires.
2) Not in Florida.
3) Yes, in Georgia, it is.
4) Sorry, I don't do drag queen jokes.
5) Hopping is not allowed.

I hope that helps!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 07:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
1) The ball must be snapped before the 25 second play clock expires.
2) Not in Florida.
3) Yes, in Georgia, it is.
4) Sorry, I don't do drag queen jokes.
5) Hopping is not allowed.

I hope that helps!
I'm sorry,but I can't agree with you on #5.If it is not SPECIFICALLY covered in the rulebook,then it must be legal.Unless you REALLY want it to be illegal,of course!Then,it IS illegal!I agree with you on 1-4,though.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 07:18pm
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:

Mick. My interpretation is that his right foot is still touching the floor while his pivot foot has now left the floor. I don't see how this is different than changing your pivot foot. I appreciate your comments.
Jay R.
Looks like BktBallRef answered nicely on my expansion of your play to exclude the illegal hop.
mick
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 07:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I'm sorry,but I can't agree with you on #5.If it is not SPECIFICALLY covered in the rulebook,then it must be legal.Unless you REALLY want it to be illegal,of course!Then,it IS illegal!I agree with you on 1-4,though.
JR,
Au contraire!
Hopping is specifically excluded in 4-43 by being not being specifically included in the "limits on foot mvements".
mick
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
this is a legal and bktballref answered this correctly. do not let the sarcasm from others steer you wrong. the player may lift his pivot foot and stand on his non-pivot for as long as he likes and is legal with the following exceptions:
exception 1. he may only stand in place for 3 sec. in the lane area.
exception 2. he may only stand for 5 sec. in a closely guarded situation.
exception 3. he may only stand for 10 sec. in the backcourt
of course there are probly other exceptions that i am not considering right now. if anyone thinks of any other exceptions chime in and send them.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 08:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
JR,
Au contraire!
Hopping is specifically excluded in 4-43 by being not being specifically included in the "limits on foot mvements".
mick
But if it not specifically included,then there is also no specific rule to say that it must be specifically excluded too!Therefore,you can specifically rule it as being specifically legal OR specifically illegal!That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. I'm a rookie ref and this is a good place to learn. Peace.